Trammel nets

Bubba_Gadoosh

Guest jbswildlife
Hi ppl, i am just starting out with regard to netting. I dont really know the score, so i am looking for advice. A friend of mine told me that there is a system were there is no ferret needed, just set up your "trammel nets" and wait. Is there any truthy to this?? All advice is welcome.

find a new friend

Hi ppl, i am just starting out with regard to netting. I dont really know the score, so i am looking for advice. A friend of mine told me that there is a system were there is no ferret needed, just set up your "trammel nets" and wait. Is there any truthy to this?? All advice is welcome.

find a new friend

Very helpful!

Forget about 'trammel' nets - in my opinion they are just the latest 'fad' in the ferreting/netting world. Have a look at the long-netting threads and you'll see what your friend was referring to. It's hardly 'set up and wait' but you don't need a ferret and can be an effective form of rabbiting if they are set in the right place ;)

a trammel net is just a longnet with less big mesh, with lots of small nets in front, so when the rabbit runs in, you can sort of purse it in it. I think your friend might be thinking of drop nets, put up and then when all the young rabbits are out in the sun, drop it and wait for them to go home again

I can see a trammel net being handy if your working a big bit yourself as everybody who works one say's once a rabbits meshed its stuck giving you time to kill it but wont it also give the rabbit time to chew the net ???

Very helpful!

Forget about 'trammel' nets - in my opinion they are just the latest 'fad' in the ferreting/netting world. Have a look at the long-netting threads and you'll see what your friend was referring to. It's hardly 'set up and wait' but you don't need a ferret and can be an effective form of rabbiting if they are set in the right place ;)

trammels have bin on the go since before you and me , they are not a new fad at all , they are a handy tool in the right situation , this topic keeps going round in circles,

trammels have bin on the go since before you and me , they are not a new fad at all , they are a handy tool in the right situation , this topic keeps going round in circles,

Trammels have been around for a long time, you are right, but at present they are the latest 'must have' - how often were trammels mentioned a couple of years ago? My point is that as a newcomer to netting he should concentrate on where, when and how to net. As you say, trammels are a handy tool (but definitely not guaranteed to hold a rabbit as thought by some) but so are 'normal' nets too. As with all nets they will catch if used in the right hands!

Yes, all topics go round in circles, I'm just waiting for 'Ferreting Flares' to come back in as the latest fad ;)

ferret flares for sale gauranteed to work even is suffolk or any were else in eastanglia, trammels mate leave them they are better in the sea we use them for plaice skate you catch bass in small mesh and bigger fish in outside walls , not realy for rabbits , some places youll get lobsters in them and some places skate bass etc thats were they realy are ment for honestly , when you gill net for say fish up to 5 pound you use four inch mesh a trammel catches up any bigger ones that only get caught with teeth like a 15 pound salmon etc

Trammels have been around for a long time, you are right, but at present they are the latest 'must have' - how often were trammels mentioned a couple of years ago? My point is that as a newcomer to netting he should concentrate on where, when and how to net. As you say, trammels are a handy tool (but definitely not guaranteed to hold a rabbit as thought by some) but so are 'normal' nets too. As with all nets they will catch if used in the right hands!

Yes, all topics go round in circles, I'm just waiting for 'Ferreting Flares' to come back in as the latest fad ;)

without being argumentative , it seems that trammels are NOT the latest must have and it seems that i,m the only daft bugger admiting to using them , i bought my first off a fella called frank grain , he used to advertise in the CMW , don,t know if he stiill does , he made me some for hedges , hemp inner walls and a heavier spun twine for the outer wall , that must be over 10 years ago

i now use 2 x 25 yarders for most of my ferreting and have accounted for probably thousands of rabbits with them , looking forward to getting some different made ones off netrigger to try out

got to admit the fundamentals of anything are important , but so is the equipment thats used

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Trammel nets are great pieces of kit to have old or new doesn't really matter to me, My point is not about how long they are but how short they can be. Some trammels are only made 2 to 3 yards in length so that they can be used through hedges or at the bottom of ditches and hold the rabbits well.

I my opinion at 3 yd nylon net in a ditch would not be as effective as one of my hemp trammels. No arguements here i hope.......

They have there uses, the size of the meshs is another point in the spring time you can use a trammel with a smaller mesh and it gives you chance to hold both young and old rabbits alike and it is this that make them useful.

They are pain to make but it worth having a few in your kit they are not a fade i use them on a daily basis and have often caught 2 or 3 rabbit in 3 yards of trammel.

Regards Roger

Hi All

Trammel nets are great pieces of kit to have old or new doesn't really matter to me, My point is not about how long they are but how short they can be. Some trammels are only made 2 to 3 yards in length so that they can be used through hedges or at the bottom of ditches and hold the rabbits well.

I my opinion at 3 yd nylon net in a ditch would not be as effective as one of my hemp trammels. No arguements here i hope.......

They have there uses, the size of the meshs is another point in the spring time you can use a trammel with a smaller mesh and it gives you chance to hold both young and old rabbits alike and it is this that make them useful.

They are pain to make but it worth having a few in your kit they are not a fade i use them on a daily basis and have often caught 2 or 3 rabbit in 3 yards of trammel.

Regards Roger

nice to see you Roger, and as regards the nets, if it works don't knock it. ian.