How much would a 100 bird day cost

On average, how much would a 100 bird day cost for pheasant? I'd also like to try walked up partridge but I've not come across any on offer as as yet

Thanks

There is generally quite a difference in a driven day and a walked up day cost wise.

In my neck of the woods which is festooned with commercial shoots the going rate per bird for driven pheasants can vary from £30 to £50 per bird - however, most probably wont get out of bed to do less than a 250 bird day.

Some small syndicates sell in order to reduce their overall costs, a days shooting for a team of guns shooting anything from 50 to 150 bird days - usually £20 to £30 per bird with the terrain the birds fly over usually dictating costs. Dont forget on even these 'small' days you will need some dosh to tip the keeper at the end of the day - in this area about £10 per 50 birds shot per person shooting.

The walked up day is perhaps the best fun and cheaper as hardly a beater is needed and teams of 4 to 8 guns can enjoy a good good energetic day (if you have the terrain) for as little as £16 per bird. I would say this though, be careful joining a team of walked up shooters - sometimes the old red mist comes down at the sight of a bird lifting out of a hedge which is met with lead coming from all directions. If the team is walking a field of roots or through woodland, it is essential that all walk in a neat line across otherwise someone too far ahead could get more than peppered. All guns emptied when crossing over even the smallest hazard.

In short know who you are going with and ensure that the guy running the day lays out the ground rules before you set off and keeps the lines tidy.

I used to run walked up days for teams of up to 4 people - was always amazed how unfit some young people were - "What - walk up that hill??? I'll never dooo... that!!!"

Peter