deer rifle

What has shooting a mutjac and shooting a sika got to do with anything MR logic most people have a .243 and will back it up wrongly in my opinion. I SHOOT A .222 AND IT IS A GREAT WEE GUN AND WILL KILL ROE DEER ALL DAY LONG. It would also shoot sika and kill them if shot in the right place . Now the facts are if you can miss as we all do you are even more likely to miss the kill zone .There for you are wounding and no matter what all the .243 owners say it dose not make the same hole as a bigger rifle just as my .222 dose not make the same holes a .243 also . so for me the right calibre is not the .243 it is one of the larger calibres just in case one day your not perfect but the gun gets a unexpected knock etc and you shooting is good but your zero isn't . ;)

As SS said, any knock can put off a rifle so far as to wound a deer. You could even wound one with a .50BMG. It's largely down to personal preference what calibre you use.

308 is a heavier bullet and does hit harder than the 243. But, 243 will work on any deer. It is perfectly humane on any deer, and here's the kicker, at long range it's better because it's flatter and you can potentially (recoil) shoot more accurately.

You're the one that raised the muntjac and the sika deer, when you were talking about the 223, and original post was on the sika. Kindly read your own posts before criticizing mine.

Edited by JohnGalway

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gun was to be used on SIKA now who ever was using a 223 would be braking the law if he was shooting sika with THAT CALIBRE.

The shot placement of the rifle would be the same if it were .243 or a 6.5 because its the same chap who is asking the question so that dose not enter the topic

In my opinion like i said the .243 is not the calibre for SIKA DEER it is better suited to foxes and the choice of bullets for that calibre tell you so . It is the start calibre for deer in Britain and there fore the one most chaps get .The hassle the English have of changing calibres makes it easier to keep what they got and make do and that IMO is sad for them and the deer.

I made that statement i and stand by it.......because it was my fault and not that of the gun...or calibre, it was neckshot with 70g blitzkings, and droped, the bullet exploded on impact, and i know it was a dreadfull mistake but the deer was dispatched quickly in about 5 mins after it was found.....

Since then i have used 95grain sst's and 95 grain nosler partition's......... On all species of irish deer, And guess what i've never missed a deer in my life!!! This is true and i vouch for the life of my family on it......

i was simply making a statement which i found out to be true without slinging mud at anybody.....including yourself.......So why try and bad mouth me...

What has a bigger hole got to do with anything if none of the vital organs are hit in the first place....... :o

i've taken all the largest species of deer as it's all we have on our island, none of the smaller species here i'm afraid, And no runners bar that one fatial newbie mistake which i think i can be forgiven for.....

Now All i'm saying is in the right hands the .243 is every bit as capalbe of taking deer as any other large centre-fire calibre.......FACT

If its not for you fine.........but your statement about the .243 was unaccurate, nuff said...... And in future i don't even think i'll waste my time reading or replying to your posts. have a nice day.......... ;)

i am looking to buy a rifle to shoot sika deer with. i was thinking of a .243

i would love some advice on calibre/make model/ optics. my budget is about 800 including scope :( any ideas?

Gluebeam

To give an answer on your question. I would look for a second hand package, the problem is buying second hand what you want isn't always there, but it will be if you give it time and look hard. I bought a second hand Sako 75 in dare I say it 243 with a T8 and Swarovski scope on it. It was about half the price of a new outfit.It's a fantastic bit of kit. Ask around and be patient. Buying second hand gives you a chance to buy the best for less.

As for the other debate on hear. Well its been said but place the shot. I am by no means a total expert, I do take on board a lot from the very experienced people on here [Mr L & Deker and others] The forums are great for good debate, but we all need to keep it polite! Good luck with your final choice!

Fastrac10

Hello im an X-keeper & used to have a 243 & have had the better half of near 1000 deer to my name but not sika might i add. The 243 is a great cal & all 4-5 stalkers on an estate i helped used the cal to kill 150 stags a year & 500-600 hinds a year & god knows how many roe & 90% of it done with a 243. The 243 is a good rifle with good accuracy & choice of bullets in factory or homeload & is more than able & i bet there is more deer/vermin taken with this cal than any other in britian. I personally fancied a wee change as i had the 243 for7yrs or so & thought i would try another cal & got a 25/06 & have a 22.250 too.

right lads, i think for a pair of new members on here you should treat people with a little bit of respect.............. Simply take on board whats said at make a reply without insulting people otherwise you may get no help on here when you need it most....

DEBATE is never a bad thing but throwing jibs and comments to the wind is doing you no favours................ :blink: AND remember opinions are like assholes everyone has one...................... :D

right lads, i think for a pair of new members on here you should treat people with a little bit of respect.............. Simply take on board whats said at make a reply without insulting people otherwise you may get no help on here when you need it most....

DEBATE is never a bad thing but throwing jibs and comments to the wind is doing you no favours................ :blink: AND remember opinions are like assholes everyone has one...................... :D

Considering the coments made, that what quite a polite request snappy.

But thats what we come to expect from a valued, experienced, member....

Surely not too much too ask eh?

Matt :yes:

SNAP SHOT - does that mean if you are a new member and you pick up on someone talking PISH then you can't respond appropriately????? :angry:

The opinion is not the problem, its how its made. IMHO :thumbs:

Yes, the assertion that a bigger calibre gives you more room for mistake is a fair one, it generally does. But being told we know nothing doesn't really win friends and influence people :)

And the original point, now somewhat murky in the mists of tangential abuse, was about whether 243 or 6.5, we're saying 243 kills everything and is commonplace and cheap, so does the job.

SNAP SHOT - does that mean if you are a new member and you pick up on someone talking PISH then you can't respond appropriately????? :angry:

The opinion is not the problem, its how its made. IMHO :thumbs:

Yes, the assertion that a bigger calibre gives you more room for mistake is a fair one, it generally does. But being told we know nothing doesn't really win friends and influence people :)

And the original point, now somewhat murky in the mists of tangential abuse, was about whether 243 or 6.5, we're saying 243 kills everything and is commonplace and cheap, so does the job.

By all means cube everyone is free to their opinion and entitled to it, it's just when jibs and sly comments are put up, it's doing the member who asked the question no good, And turn's into a mud slinging match rather than a good ol debate,

That's all i'm saying...........cheers SS.

Guest Deerstalker

Well i can never compete with target shooters and chaps that have never missed :clapper: Not that has anything to do with calibre choice . We have a x keeper who i know only helped with the deer and changed his calibre to 25 06 . w hat dose that tell you. Now i would like to know if he has ever missed or has he seen any of the clients miss or wound again i say more likly. Now me i have only shot a few deer and have wounded a few and missed a couple i am big enough to say so. Because i live in the real world and do abit.

i .Is the 6.5 better for deer work of coarse it is . it has a better all round capability and is now the recommended one rifle alround weapon by the home office after they realised the .243 was not up to the job on the bigger deer and certainly not while they are rutting.

PS SS DEKER ETC I CAN ALSO PUT A BULLET IN A 1 INCH TARGET AT 200 MTR. but THAT IS OF COARSE EASY WHEN IT COMES TO STALKING DEER AND WORKING FOR THEM TARGET SHOOTING HAS NO RELIVANCE AT ALL.

Now i shoot in AYRSHIRE and i am in the favourable position as to invite any of the douters out with me and i will let them use there .243 and i will let them try my 6.5 i have all the shooting round The troon golf coarses they hold plenty of roedeer and a few Fallow

Edited by Deerstalker

After asking around and doing my own research i chose a 6.5x55 for what appears to be more traditional values. I didn't want a .308 but was under the (all-be-it naive) impression that a .243 was a vermin rifle first and a deer rifle second. I don't shoot many fox's but wanted the option too and the 6.5 seemed like the perfect all-rounder for me (I was also wooed by the techy stats like the high BC and SD's :blink: ). I happen to shoot quite well with it. Balistically using factory ammo its not as flat or quick as a .243 but it doesn't really matter. It you have to holdover 3" or 6" its still going to be a 200yrd + shot and a judgement, confidance and experiance call for the shooter.

IMO if your shooting roe or red, a 95gr .243 or a 140 6.5 in the boiler room will do the job. Whether it drops on the spot or runs 100 yards depends more on the individual animal and its awareness than the caliber. Being able to shoot sub MOA in range conditions is all well and good but not relevant in this discussion IMO.

Edited to say my initial impressions of a .243 being a vermin rifle first were down to unfamiliarity with the caliber as a stalking tool as opposed to practical opinion.

Edited by Local

Is the 6.5 better for deer work of coarse it is . it has a better all round capability and is now the recommended one rifle alround weapon by the home office after they realised the .243 was not up to the job on the bigger deer and certainly not while they are rutting.

That is Precisely why people are taking such offense at you and your posts.

This is going to be very, very simple. It is NOT the size of the bullet that counts, it is the man behind the rifle.

With your vivid sense of remembering things and pig-headed attitude towards anything other than a .243, I shant be be replying to this post, like the rest who you claim are not stalkers because they don't use a 6.5.

I agree with you SS.

This argument could go round in circles all day long.

Deerstalker, your statement regarding whether the 6.5 is better is a subjective one - based on your own experience with that calibre. If you're happy with it - great!, but try to realise that other members here are more than happy using .243. This isn't a willy waving contest.

If you're interested in figures, from what I've read elsewhere, the 243 has a higher velocity and energy at 200 yards with the same weight bullet.