Had to go to Worcester for a meeting yesterday, finished early so decided to walk back to the park and ride, rather than take the shuttle.

Got a cracking view of a Buzzard which overflew me at about streetlamp height.

A Buzzard was once a big deal for me, I had to go north or west to see one.... :search: But they seem to have spread east in the last decade or so, and now I see them quite often here in South Yorkshire. A pair nests in a wood within 5 miles of my house, and the Missus has even seen one riding the thermals way up above our estate.

My first Red Kite, (on the A4 near Avebury), was another big deal. However I've worked near Harewood House on and off for the last couple of years, and see quite a few now. It's not the same though, when they're wearing a number plate........... :lol:

Does anybody living further east have local Buzzards?

i sometimes venture over harewood way :D ahem! and the amount of kites in crazy...IMHO there are too many of them for the area to support. They must be artificially feeding the kites inorder to have them in such an abundance. It is nothing for me to see 6 floating over one small valley.....i feel that the RSPB would be better letting a lower density go over a wider area......JD

Guest LEARNER

a few years back , there was no buzzards in my neck of the woods, now they are nesting all over the shire i live in, infact there,s a pair that have nested at the back off a gamekeepers , for the last 3 years, just last week i saw 2 hovering over there, i love birds off prey, i could never harm one , but in some area.s i know they must be kept at a realistic level

last year for the very first time i seen a pair of buzzards about two minutes from were i live,they havent been there long because its on my uncles shoot and hes never seen them,they still there now so looks like theyll be breeding up there this year also have a pair of peregrines nesting in a quarry near me,im right on the east coast

Believe it if you wish but when i was keepering in herefordshire a couple of years ago 3 of us counted 27 :icon_eek: buzzards all together in the wind turbines there were gos'es :blink: and a pair of peregrines which nested in a worked quarry] :cry: and not forgetting ths odd sparrowhawk :(

Guest REDROB

warwickshire has its fare share of buzzards plenty round by me, also sparrow hawks, seen one take a bird 2 doors up from me, counted 7 buzzards circling over head last year, seen a pair of goss hawks in the woods last week while roming about.

living in abuilt up area it was a novelty to hear and then to see buzzards flying over head :yes: they are fairly common a few miles up the road from us i love to hear them sceeching when im out adds to the feel of the day but i have apair that now know where its easy to get rabbits that are caught in my snares :realmad: but i dont begrudge them one or two :angel: goodhuntingall woodga :ph34r:

WELL LADS ,

THERES QUITE A FEW BUZZARDS MOVING EAST ....THE RSPB GESTAPO ARE REGULARY RELEASEING KITES , IN FACT I HAVE SEEN A FEW PAIR CIRCLEING OVER LOCAL TOWNS ON CLOUDLESS AFTERNOONS..SPARROWHAWKS ARE EVERYWHERE ,.......HOW LONG BEFORE BRITAIN HAS A POPULATION OF BREEDING HARRIS HAWKS , DUE TO ESCAPEES ???

HOW LONG CAN THE RISING POPULATIONS GO UNCHECKED ?

I KNOW THE RACING PIGEON MEN ARE PUSHING THE RSPB AND THE GOVERMENT TO DO SOME RESPONSIBLE CULLING ....I WONDER WHEN THEY WILL WAKE UP ??

THOUGH I HAVE TALKED TO RSPB MEN WHILE OUT ON RECCIES ;) AND ONE HAS ADMITTED TO PRICKING EGGS TO STOP THEM HATCHING ON BUZZARDS AND SPARROWHAWKS NESTS , IN HIS WORDS " TO GIVE GROUND NESTING BIRDS A CHANCE " !!

ALL THE BEST DUCKWING

green and spotted woodpeckers, and just about every songbird you can imagine in my back yard, nothing to see 50 to 60 birds on the table at once

If R Lass read the above, she'd be fluttering eyelashes at you and leaving me........... :cry: ........mind you, as they say, every cloud.......cos I sure wouldn't miss her mother......... :lol: