It was a nice day to be outdoors

The last time I looked at the clock Friday night, or more correctly Saturday morning, it was within a couple of minutes of 2:30. When my alarm went off at 5:30 I decided I wasn't dedicated enough to go get that sunrise picture so I went ahead and reset it for 6:30. Four hours of sleep sounds much better than three. That hour went by too fast and when the alarm went off another hour was again added. I had already missed sunrise so what was the rush? As a dedicated warrior of the marsh I dragged my tail out of the bed at at 7:30 and within a half-hour I was headed out the door.

It rained overnight but it wasn't enough to put a puddle in the boat or raise the water level. It was the kind I like, just enough to water the grass in my yard. The clouds were gone by the time I got to the lake and there was a nice breeze. The rain was at the leading edge of a cold front that would keep the temperature from getting above seventy-five degrees. That is the lowest high temperature in a week. From the exertion I got warm but I never was hot. Only a couple of times did I notice sweat running down my face. I tried to move at a leisurely pace between potential bird holding areas and that also helped.

I didn't even bother with any of the main lake areas I have visited the other times I have hunted in the last week. I went straight for a remote area. The first couple of places I went to were ones where I have flushed a couple of birds each time I have been out. Not this time. The airboat that left the trail I was looking at had a bearing on that just as it did in running the birds out of the area that I scouted prior to opening day a couple of weeks ago. I did manage to drop one bird but it took me a long time to start putting weight in the game bag. My wife called me at 1:30 and I had three birds. At that point I had been at the lake for five hours. Nothing but time and covering some real distance is the reason I shot birds yesterday. I left the lake at 4:30, making me one tired hunter with a sore back.

If possible I try not to shoot birds over areas like this. I know it is possible but occasionally I shoot even when I know I will have to go and make a retrieve in stuff I'd rather not go in. A bird dropped on the edge of a hole like this can be marked easily. One that falls further out or sails fifty yards after being shot often takes some time to find.

110808a.jpg

Here is one in the arrowheads. I believe it was my first bird but it might have been the second. I estimate that it fell right around thirty yards. Walking to the exact spot where I marked it and placing a bandanna down I was within 3-4 yards. It still took several minutes before I found it.

110808b.jpg

This is fall in the swamps of Florida. The trail that you see is where I walked. I wanted to walk down the shore where the trees are in order to get to another area way down to the right but it got too ugly for me. I don't know if it ever gets "spooky" for anyone else that hunts alone but when I am alone and that far off the beaten path sometimes I chicken out and change plans.

110808i.jpg

This was the only one I shot that fell over needle grass. If they stay high and land belly up like this one did they are a cinch to find them.

110808d.jpg

Back out on the open water a blue heron was doing some fishing. He didn't stick around long enough for me to get a close-up but I did get one picture before he took off.

110808f.jpg

I shot a 20 gauge Grulla for a change of pace. I figured with the Fox going out a couple of days already in the last week that it needed a break. I will probably shoot the same gun Tuesday.

110808g.jpg

Good shooting. How are you. The weather has been near freezing here 3 - 5 Celcius with gale force winds, sleet and hail and only 8hours daylight. There seems to be plenty snipe out but I can't get the courage to go out in it. I wish we had that weather you have got. Good luck . Joe Kelly

• 2 weeks later...