LEVI OAK'S "DANDY"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHO WAS THE SIRE AND DAM OF DANDY WAS?? IF YOU CAN GO FURTHER THAN SIRE AND DAM THAT WOULD BE GREAT...CHEERS...DANIEL

Hi Mate, hope this will be of help. Danny was bred out of a bitch called Misty, but unfortunately the sire died at an early age, and I'm afraid I don't know too much about him. All I do know about him, is that he was owned by a farmer who lived around the corner from Levi Oates. As far as I know K.C. registered as well. I know that the mating of these two dogs, were one of the best lines Levi ever had. Also, Danny became sterile at the age of 6, so if you are looking at a recent pedigree with Danny's name on it, I would suspicious. 2 friends of mine had litter brothers of Danny, 1 was called Simmy and the other called Rebel, these were excellent working Border terriers to all quarry, but they also became sterile around 6/8 years. Danny himself, was passed on to a friend of mine at 4 years old, and eventually died in his kennels. He was exceptionally hard and was only worked occasionally, the puppies he sired were always good. Hope this helps. - Good Hunting.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHO WAS THE SIRE AND DAM OF DANDY WAS?? IF YOU CAN GO FURTHER THAN SIRE AND DAM THAT WOULD BE GREAT...CHEERS...DANIEL

Hi Mate, hope this will be of help. Danny was bred out of a bitch called Misty, but unfortunately the sire died at an early age, and I'm afraid I don't know too much about him. All I do know about him, is that he was owned by a farmer who lived around the corner from Levi Oates. As far as I know K.C. registered as well. I know that the mating of these two dogs, were one of the best lines Levi ever had. Also, Danny became sterile at the age of 6, so if you are looking at a recent pedigree with Danny's name on it, I would suspicious. 2 friends of mine had litter brothers of Danny, 1 was called Simmy and the other called Rebel, these were excellent working Border terriers to all quarry, but they also became sterile around 6/8 years. Danny himself, was passed on to a friend of mine at 4 years old, and eventually died in his kennels. He was exceptionally hard and was only worked occasionally, the puppies he sired were always good. Hope this helps. - Good Hunting.

That was Simmy that JP used as an outcross ?

That was Simmy that JP used as an outcross ?

yes

I HAVE "DANDY" BEING SIRED BY "DANNY" AND FROM A FEMALE NAMED "FERN"......"DANNY" FROM "TODDY BOY" AND "MISTY"....AND "FERN BEING FROM "SIMMY" AND "TESS".....DANIEL

Hi Possum,

The names that you speak about are over 20 years old, have you still got this line of Border and did you get it from Levi directly? Do you still work these terriers and what is your success rate?

'Simmy' and 'Tess' were both owned by RW, do you know him?

Haven't heard of 'Toddy Boy' but will find out.

I HAVE "DANDY" BEING SIRED BY "DANNY" AND FROM A FEMALE NAMED "FERN"......"DANNY" FROM "TODDY BOY" AND "MISTY"....AND "FERN BEING FROM "SIMMY" AND "TESS".....DANIEL

Hi Possum,

The names that you speak about are over 20 years old, have you still got this line of Border and did you get it from Levi directly? Do you still work these terriers and what is your success rate?

"DANDY" IS IN THE 6TH GENERATION OF MY TERRIERS PEDIGREE, THE ORIGINAL BREEDER USED BORDER BLOOD IN DEVELOPING HIS STRAIN OF WORKING TERRIER..I SAW THE BORDER BLOOD AND WAS HOPING SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE SEEN IT WORK OR KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT IT..SIMPLY HISTORY ONLY AS I REALIZE THAT BLOOD IS ALMOST BRED OUT BY NOW...DANIEL

Hi Possum,

"DANDY" IS IN THE 6TH GENERATION OF MY TERRIERS PEDIGREE, THE ORIGINAL BREEDER USED BORDER BLOOD IN DEVELOPING HIS STRAIN OF WORKING TERRIER..I SAW THE BORDER BLOOD AND WAS HOPING SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE SEEN IT WORK OR KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT IT..SIMPLY HISTORY ONLY AS I REALIZE THAT BLOOD IS ALMOST BRED OUT BY NOW...DANIEL

Will send you a PM.

fern was bred from danny x misty son back to mother breeding

Hi Possum,

good thread this.

I have heard a lot about this line through the years, and it seems a lot of lads rated this line the best.

I haven't seen a good border as most my mates kept fells/russel types, though I have dug many times to a 1/2 cross Middleton border dog called Reids Tyke, an oustanding earth dog who always got the job done, and some on here will remember L W Nigger a 1/2 cross dog bred by Lavarokhall that was also a good dog in his day.

Breeder hi mate just worked out who you are. Do you still keep the same line of old Middleton lakie? and how does your borders compare as digging dogs to your lakies?

Hi mate, yeah still keep the old buggers! Comparing the two is quite difficult - kennel wise, as you know Lakies are prone to fight, this always restricted how many you could keep, thats why I always sold a few back to GM.

My Lakies have always been headstrong and wanted to get stuck in at a young age, whereas the Border's are more laid back and a lot less trouble in the kennel.

Digging wise, this line of Border are excellent finding dogs and they'll stop till there dug to. In that respect there very similar to the Lakies. However the biggest difference that i've found with a Border is after you've dug to your quarry and removed it they will re-enter the same earth and try to find another - their very keen and eager.

As for hardness a couple of the Border's that i've had are a bit too hard, I could only work them four/five times a season.

iv had pure levi borders for a few years hard as nials lost three to ground as alot of earths big in ireland too small in size but not in heart have bred one litter of big patterdale x border three worked all game out of six in my 15 years of diggen i have never seen a good lakeland yet a good old friend of mine in uk a proper diggen man of years gone bye told me the best dogs of his times were fell x borders he dug wit the best of them for 40ode years all my border came from rw and j c