knackerd my back last week! so did'nt get around much,! crappy weather all week, so never got out with the wee dog.

had a good time reading all the posts on woodcock etc, then this morning ,said, bu**er it im going out!

still raining but up the hill we went, hunted all the cover, no rabbits, nothing!, went up the side of the big wood, bit of shelter,

had a smoke, started downhill outside the wood,dog working good, side of the wall? wee bit of a nosey, tail up all buisnes?

woosh away goes a woodcock!, under a big branch, dummy, left, then right, na! sorry mate! seen that before, bang! got him!

the dog, rock steady, marks the fall,! still looking, fetch , through the fence, to the right, picks, and retreives, yes! NAE BOTHER :D

the dog is 7 months old, now some have said ,that i start my dogs to early, but i've never been afraid of doing so if the dog is upto it?

he swims like an otter, has had birds shot over him and stops dead, on the flush! wil take hand signals at 200yds,

so what do you think? to early! i dont think so,

i've had many dogs in my life, including openstake winners but this wee cocker is a cracker :D

Hi longrange just got back from borders been feeding ponds and burns and topping up feeders in the woods came back early as the forecast wasn't good so did'nt take dogs or guns kinda wished we had now as weather not that bad . some would say a walk out with the dog and gun and only bagging 1 bird ain't worth it but i think thats real hunting working the dog and taking your chance when it comes, woodcock are a special little bird and to bag them is a thrill not many get and its a bigger thrill to get some thing you and your dog have worked at, its these types of days when the size of the bag is'nt the glory but how you got it.What type of cocker do you work is it a heavy dog or small busy bee type i work ess. and they are close coupled and small i must say i don't shoot over them untill they are about 16 months old but its because i can't train them any better and all the e.s.s seem to be very soft in temprement or it could just be me.Anyway hope you have many more good days out with your dogs. Hily.

Hi longrange just got back from borders been feeding ponds and burns and topping up feeders in the woods came back early as the forecast wasn't good so did'nt take dogs or guns kinda wished we had now as weather not that bad . some would say a walk out with the dog and gun and only bagging 1 bird ain't worth it but i think thats real hunting working the dog and taking your chance when it comes, woodcock are a special little bird and to bag them is a thrill not many get and its a bigger thrill to get some thing you and your dog have worked at, its these types of days when the size of the bag is'nt the glory but how you got it.What type of cocker do you work is it a heavy dog or small busy bee type i work ess. and they are close coupled and small i must say i don't shoot over them untill they are about 16 months old but its because i can't train them any better and all the e.s.s seem to be very soft in temprement or it could just be me.Anyway hope you have many more good days out with your dogs. Hily.

hi there, hlly, only had one other cocker, had 14 springers though!, he's a total looney,! basically a spring with 4 legs! a big type,loads of muscle,

many pro handlers critiscised me for working my dogs to young,but i think it was because i used to beat them at trials, dont do them now ,just

like dogs trained my own way!, trained a lot of dogs in my time, sold some for big bucks, but wont do that now. he is my pal! and is going to be a

good one,

cheers :D

yep you do get attached to them .I'm looking after a couple of cockers for a lad who is poorly these cockers are larger than my springers dogs parkbreck breed and the bitch is wernffrwd breed very strong animals the dog looks as if he could go through a brick wall watching them on the move reminds me wy i like spanials and not the more sedate breeds like labs etc.

yep you do get attached to them .I'm looking after a couple of cockers for a lad who is poorly these cockers are larger than my springers dogs parkbreck breed and the bitch is wernffrwd breed very strong animals the dog looks as if he could go through a brick wall watching them on the move reminds me wy i like spanials and not the more sedate breeds like labs etc.

hellow again, if we carry on like this,they'll have to move us to the gundog forum? i like all good working dogs, there's nothing like being

at the ready on a strong point,watching a good retrieve, a spaniel bustin cover, a lurcher on the turn, or a terrier at work!

its all good to me! :D

Ah well looking forward to a fall of woodcock on our place this season.I like me little terrier when she does what she does best(rats) but when it''s rough shooting its spanials i must have a screw loose eh :wacko: