German wirehaired pointer.

Hello!!.

Can people please give me..info,pics and opinions on this breed.Looked at all the HPR breeds and the GWP seems best suited to my shooting and life style.Spoke to a few breeders and they have been really helpful but would just like to hear from people who work this breed day in,day out!!.Thanks for any info guys!!.

Edited by Wterrier

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello!!.

Can people please give me..info,pics and opinions on this breed.Looked at all the HPR breeds and the GWP seems best suited to my shooting and life style.Spoke to a few breeders and they have been really helpful but would just like to hear from people who work this breed day,day out!!.Thanks for any info guys!!.

I have 3 GWP currently 2 adults and a pup out of my old bitch, i use them for all aspects of shooting they are also used in the picking up line on a driven shoot, nothing passess them by, rock solid on the point and with enough bottle to take a fox these dogs are the ultimate allround dogs for a multitude of jobs

post-11129-1225998798_thumb.jpg

Have heard they are excellent all rounders and have loads of bottle!!.What are they like to train!!??.

Depends on the breeding, they dont like being told off for a start they respond to praise a great deal and most of their training should revolve around praise not disapline.

Have heard they are excellent all rounders and have loads of bottle!!.What are they like to train!!??.

Depends on the breeding, they dont like being told off for a start they respond to praise a great deal and most of their training should revolve around praise not disapline.

as a whole they are not fussed at all about being told off, the best training advise i can give is 'don't' just teach them to become easy to live with then let them come on slowly, they are not labs or springers and when it comes time to put the firm training into them they easily learn them with a firm hand and firm instructions.

stay away from english field champ lines and the solid show lines, the breed is not and should never have been bred to run in field trials, most of the breeds problems with temprament stem from them being bred to keep up with the pointers/setters.......show lines are just that show, but some breeders do put alot of effort into the working side.

MUSTWORK.... les and lisa have very good bloodlines and they are worked, plenty of german blood and in the breed for the right reasons... :clapper:

www.mustwork.co.uk are without doubt one of the best working gwp breeders about at the moment i work my vizslas alongside les and lisas dogs throughout the season...if the vizsla wasnt my chosen breed it would without doubt be a mustwork gwp instead!!!

What makes the GWP different in the way it hunts to a vizsla Gary!!??.

to be honest they hunt very similar the gwp may be a little hardyer through cover as the coat is harder.....saying that id put my smooth dogs against any other coated hpr my line is a very hard hunting line so im lucky.......

the vizsla has a more birdy working manner and a more positive point, a well bred vizsla is perhaps a better bird dog, with alot more style than a gwp :icon_redface: the gwp is strong on water work, retrieving and game that bites back ;)

there is a huge difference between the gsp and a gwp in working manner, the viszla is closer to the gwp in working than a gsp in my experience.

for me.... yes. i wouldn't own a gsp, simply because i don't regard the english and australia/nz gsp's as being the same as the german version... the trials people have turned the breed into a large running bird dog, not suited to my intended needs.

alot will depend on the different types of hunting you intend doing.