The Clyde estuary

Due to the Solway post it got me thinking about the Clyde estuary. Does anyone go fowling there, or did they in the past? Are there any wardens or reserves to speak to? What about wildfowling clubs?

To be honest I have been thinking the same as I live 5 miles from the clyde. Would be interested to know as well.

Ive been shooting on the clyde just close to dunbarton .geece, wigeon and mallard

And is that on a club ground, permit scheme or just foreshore access. It is a huge estuary so there must be plenty of accessable foreshore. I remember being near Greenock when I was much younger, walking with parents I think, and there was a huge amount of mud, waders and wildfowl to watch, that is probably why we went there.

And with the central belt being so close you would have thought there was a club or control of wildfowling. I know the inner Clyde is a SSSI (jokes welcome) but I have not heard of any reserves as such

Any thoughts or info appreciated

T

you can go on a tiny bit of foreshore but you will soon have the rspcb crawling over you real quick...also a lot of anti,s with dogs that spike your tyres and paint strip your car when you park up!!!!i have a lot of permission along the clyde for shooting and running my dogs ,,and i have been kicking people of my land for the last two weeks as there is a lot of people round here that think they can go a walking anywere with a firearm ....local thinking is were the high water tideline finishes they can shoot ,,not the case ,,,as this will leave you on some local farmers land ,,i was called down to stop the police being called over such an issue last week as my farmer went on his land and came across 5 differant people he did not know ,he had not given WRITTEN PERMISSION and did not want on his land ,,when he phoned me i really had to stop him calling the police ,,my thoughts were that they might be a friend of mines but after driving for 30 minutes i did not know one of them and i had to explain what armed trespass was,,my point is that the clyde can come up to the bingo hall in renfrew but this does not make it high water line so it does not give you the right to stand outside the bingo hall with a shotgun or on a local farmers land ,,,be carefull were you go is my thoughts to you ,,,as sadly in my case i ain,t giving out anymore warnings on my land,, i am phoning the law to sort it out ,,this is because the farmer told me to sort it out or there would be zero shooting from now on ,,so dog eat dog it is ,,,if you fancy a morning out with me and my friends i will take you and keep you on the right side of things ,,all the best ,,the dug

Ive been shooting on the clyde just close to dunbarton .geece, wigeon and mallard

Guys you will find that the clyde has a lot of sssi ground on it look on basc for info!.plus i shoot the ground all round about it and we are getting sick of people just walking on thinking they can shoot ,think again!!!!. We feed ponds next to clyde and are sick to death of you people just thinking you can shoot and walk on to the ground. I just hope your not the guy from friday morning ! came down taking shots at geese 200yards up in the air ! these clowns give us all a bad name!!!! and if i find this person i will phone the police {be warned}.....hope this helps the lot of you.......

Guys you will find that the clyde has a lot of sssi ground on it look on basc for info!.plus i shoot the ground all round about it and we are getting sick of people just walking on thinking they can shoot ,think again!!!!. We feed ponds next to clyde and are sick to death of you people just thinking you can shoot and walk on to the ground. I just hope your not the guy from friday morning ! came down taking shots at geese 200yards up in the air ! these clowns give us all a bad name!!!! and if i find this person i will phone the police {be warned}.....hope this helps the lot of you.......

what if i had my bingo tickets? or was in a banna boat? :D no seriously its a real shame, that you have all these problems!

one of the reasons, i gave it up! clowns, cowboys etc, dont give up!

cheers :)

Definately not me, never been there but just dont hear much about this estuary and wondered what the western central belters do for estuary fowling.

Maybe this is a job for BASC and SNH to set the record straight and map where people can go and cant go on the clyde.

Also, we have to be careful about the armed trespass thing. As far as I am aware, in Scotland, I can use a right of way with my gun sleeved to walk across farmland to access the foreshore anywhere in, including the clyde, but not with the gun out of sleeve (I believe that the issue is that it is unloaded but sleeved is less confusing).

I have also heard, allthough not confirmed, that the right-to-roam laws gives fowlers access to unleased foreshore (i.e. crown foreshore) with a sleeved gun anywhere, just as it would a birdwatcher. I will check with BASC on this and get back to the post next week. That is what fowlers are saying on the Tay.

Also, on SSSI, unless otherwise stated through a local byelaw, wildfowling is permitted on an SSSI foreshore. If outlawed, a designation can issue permits, as happens at the Eden and Montrose for example.

Speak soon

T

Edited by tom1cameron

Just spoke to BASC. Basically there are No no-shooting zones on the clyde forshore (LWM-HMW) and access can be found to all of it by permitted routes. either written permission for private access or by established rights of way.

We did not chat about the SSSI or any reserves but I will see those in the know on tuesday and get back to you.

I will try to get a map.

Blackdug, it sounds like these guys were actually shooting on the farmers land rather than the foreshore, is that how you see it, or does the farmer think that no-one should be shooting the foreshore infront of his land?

Best

T

Just spoke to BASC. Basically there are No no-shooting zones on the clyde forshore (LWM-HMW) and access can be found to all of it by permitted routes. either written permission for private access or by established rights of way.

We did not chat about the SSSI or any reserves but I will see those in the know on tuesday and get back to you.

I will try to get a map.

Blackdug, it sounds like these guys were actually shooting on the farmers land rather than the foreshore, is that how you see it, or does the farmer think that no-one should be shooting the foreshore infront of his land?

Best

T

Tom this was the case,they think they can shoot foreshore and just walk on and take pot shots at geese and this has to stop !!.Its not a free for all, they don't pick up spent cases ;you can see why our backs are up over this. I hope this helps you and i have a copy of basc map with all sssi area on it for clyde if you would like a copy ?. We have shot this land for years! and feed the ponds all the time don,t want it to turn into cowboy corner....just like other places i hope you understand this,i will be happy to take you on for a nite at ducks geese.... davie

I will try to get a map.

Best

T

Tom this was the case,they think they can shoot foreshore and just walk on and take pot shots at geese and this has to stop !!.Its not a free for all, they don't pick up spent cases ;you can see why our backs are up over this. I hope this helps you and i have a copy of basc map with all sssi area on it for clyde if you would like a copy ?. We have shot this land for years! and feed the ponds all the time don,t want it to turn into cowboy corner....just like other places i hope you understand this,i will be happy to take you on for a nite at ducks geese.... davie

Blackdug

can you clarify?

Are you saying that there is no forshore shooting in front of your lease or are you saying that there is foreshore shooting but there are lots of cases where indivs walk inland onto your lease?

Best

T

I will try to get a map.

Best

T

Blackdug

can you clarify?

Are you saying that there is no forshore shooting in front of your lease or are you saying that there is foreshore shooting but there are lots of cases where indivs walk inland onto your lease?

Best

T

Tom it comes upon the map as sssi on the area in front of our land ie the foreshore and basin.. There is path that leads to the foreshore but rspb guys use the path and dog walkers . the rspb catch the wading birds and ring them on the foreshore .My dad shot the foreshore for years ,then things all changed! but as i say some cowboys do come down.I like my shooting same as the next guy ,but how long before it all goes wrong for all the true fowling men...... d

Tom it comes upon the map as sssi on the area in front of our land ie the foreshore and basin.. There is path that leads to the foreshore but rspb guys use the path and dog walkers . the rspb catch the wading birds and ring them on the foreshore .My dad shot the foreshore for years ,then things all changed! but as i say some cowboys do come down.I like my shooting same as the next guy ,but how long before it all goes wrong for all the true fowling men...... d

Okay, understood, so perhaps a sign saying that multiple users use the area etc etc

I'll speak to BASC and RSPB and get back to you via PM. Can you PM me the grid refs of what foreshore area it is and we will

chat next week when I get back

T

• 1 month later...
you can go on a tiny bit of foreshore but you will soon have the rspcb crawling over you real quick...also a lot of anti,s with dogs that spike your tyres and paint strip your car when you park up!!!!i have a lot of permission along the clyde for shooting and running my dogs ,,and i have been kicking people of my land for the last two weeks as there is a lot of people round here that think they can go a walking anywere with a firearm ....local thinking is were the high water tideline finishes they can shoot ,,not the case ,,,as this will leave you on some local farmers land ,,i was called down to stop the police being called over such an issue last week as my farmer went on his land and came across 5 differant people he did not know ,he had not given WRITTEN PERMISSION and did not want on his land ,,when he phoned me i really had to stop him calling the police ,,my thoughts were that they might be a friend of mines but after driving for 30 minutes i did not know one of them and i had to explain what armed trespass was,,my point is that the clyde can come up to the bingo hall in renfrew but this does not make it high water line so it does not give you the right to stand outside the bingo hall with a shotgun or on a local farmers land ,,,be carefull were you go is my thoughts to you ,,,as sadly in my case i ain,t giving out anymore warnings on my land,, i am phoning the law to sort it out ,,this is because the farmer told me to sort it out or there would be zero shooting from now on ,,so dog eat dog it is ,,,if you fancy a morning out with me and my friends i will take you and keep you on the right side of things ,,all the best ,,the dug

Blackdog PM sent.

The stretch of the Clyde that runs from Lanark to Hamilton services is protected as far as I know and has a bird sanctuary and country park. We had shooting permission near the Blantyre end just of the golf range a few years ago was good for ducks and the odd wood cock or snipe! havn't been near it for a couple of years. Also the stretch that runs along the bottom of Newton used to have a farm but its gone now and sold to developers, so might be possible to shoot there but I'm not sure. :icon_eek: