Yesterday as I was sitting at my desk I came to the conclusion that I really needed to go to the lake instead of the office this morning. It was as I was walking to my truck that I made the final decision that today I would not be going to work. Having not hunted since last weekend and without another opportunity to before this Saturday being able to slip out today would break that week without shooting is half. I came home, got out my hunting clothes and gun, switched guns, switched guns again, and then all I was waiting for was a few hours to pass.

I was on the lake before the sun came up but with clear skies there was plenty of light. I made my way to a point that has held birds three of the previous four seasons. Last year it wasn't productive but the water was considerably lower than it is now. I waited offshore until the sun had risen and it was light enough to shoot. While I waited I watched small flocks of ducks moving from the lake where they roost to where they feed.

150267f196a7621bfaf376dc47c6b06f371db8a0.jpg

f4f260a149a252e1f0338fd9e3adf0388c262079.jpg

60f36b98144ea47c28e6f2403119d33c2c3966fa.jpg

Unfortunately the water is still too high and most of the point is under water, even if only by a few inches. I have been monitoring it for the last two months and even with only one day of rain during that time the water level isn't dropping at all. I think it is time to write it off at least for this season.

I turned and headed back the other way and appreciated that for the first time the sun wasn't in my eyes. Most of the fog had burned off but there was still some patches of it off in the distance. I started heading to an island I wanted to check. For most of that little trip I was going through grass that was too thick for the little electric trolling motor. Both the paddle and the push pole got a good workout today, not just between those two spots but everywhere I went. That island ended up being under water also but as I approached it I was able to get a picture of our national bird, the bald eagle.

1ad16517a824f035dd766913eb3d914dbb9a48d2.jpg

2fa26fe139a1b284f2a356d95e84e62f76937288.jpg

Next I went to an island where I picked up three birds last Saturday. I found fewer on it today, flushing only six. I was fortunate enough to be able to put half of those in my game bag.

f26365381fa0acab2d07ffee3fddd70ee2546d7c.jpg

Then it was time to go to the area where I finished up Saturday. I wanted to see what was beyond the ground I had seen so far. With so many places flooded I really need a good sized piece of ground that I know I can count on for the next three months. That particular area has potential when water levels are right and the soil is less sandy than in the other areas of the lake. When conditions are optimal it can be very good.

It seems like just about every trip I find something to pick at and today it was a banded water snake. It didn't realize the favor I was doing it by pushing it along. It was sunning itself in the wide open and with all of the predators flying overhead that isn't a wise decision. At first when I knelt down for a close-up picture it coiled up and hissed at me. After realizing that wasn't going to frighten me off the snake decided that it should leave instead. Two or three seconds later is was gone.

a622619151ab722cf9a3cfd6e57de265c5477148.jpg

46b2615156a8a2d5ff0395ddbe3b6bc60e0e57bc.jpg

de126081f8aac2ddf95316df52facf65c0895e7c.jpg

After that brief diversion I continued on. After reaching the area I was able to take two birds quickly. With five in the bag and only three more for a limit I got picky. Too picky in fact. I passed up a couple of shots because the areas the birds flushed over were quite swampy and I didn't want to have to go in them to retrieve a bird. After going through a fair stretch without flushing a bird I was second guessing myself for not pulling the trigger earlier. Finally I got another flush and in spite of having a wandering mind from the lack of activity I was able to pull it together and make the shot. I ended up going out into the same nasty swamp that I didn't want to go out into earlier. Then came another lull in the action until I walked out onto a mud flat that has been a dry meadow the last few years. There are still a few flowers and upland grasses growing but some have died off and are being replaced with lowland grasses. It looked like an area that could really have potential but unfortunately I didn't get to walk far enough to find out just how much potential. I shot my seventh bird and was in the process of picking it up off the ground when my wife called to see how I was doing. After I hung up the phone I had taken no more than ten to twelve steps when I flushed the final bird of the day. I think I might have finally found an area where a decent number of birds are planning to spend the winter, but in order to know for sure I think I need to check it out again three days from now.

89326761f1a472d9f4d336d41f623b5a6287c110.jpg

Edited by Les Becassines