Mounting a scope and a bipod

Hi all,

I am about to place an order to a US dealer for a scope Zeiss Conquest 6,5-20X50 and I am thinking of saving money in adding Buttler Creeks, scope mounts and a Harris Bipod to this order. I will mount these accessories on a Tikka light T3 .243 synthetic and stainless (I don't have it yet).

Which good scope mounts (LOW PROFILE) would you buy? Is the quick release system from Millet really reliable? Would you prefer a standard Leupold mount? Do you know any others?

I will buy a harris bipod swivel 9" to 13" and I am not sure if I need to get an adapter or not? Can you please tell me which adapter you have used?

Thanks for your help

Paddy

Hi,

That Zeiss is a great scope but it requires a special mount. (can use standard but FAR from ideal and I am having to replace mine)

Mine has the butler creeks on and they are great but the rear one gets in the way when you try to focus the scope.(ive got used to it)

My Bipod of the same make/size that you are suggesting just fits onto the sling swivel/stud and then the sling fits to the bottom of the bipod.

There is a picture of my rifle with the above gear in a section further down titled 'scope choice'.

Also watch out for the tax man, if it can be sent as a 'gift' this may help!!!

CBW

Edited by cbw

Just to reinforce my earlier comment...That zeiss requires special mounts.

I will try to find the handbook and quote the spec for you, its all to do with having a slight elevation on the mount.

It is quite specific as to the type of mount and I am having slight problems with distance shots as I have used standard mounts.

I have just finished a long nightshift (piss heads on a Monday night!!!) I will find the book up later.

CBW

Edited by cbw
Just to reinforce my earlier comment...That zeiss requires special mounts.

I will try to find the handbook and quote the spec for you, its all to do with having a slight elevation on the mount.

It is quite specific as to the type of mount and I am having slight problems with distance shots as I have used standard mounts.

I have just finished a long nightshift (piss heads on a Monday night!!!) I will find the book up later.

CBW

Thank you lads your help is really appreciated. Would you recommend to take the 4.5-14X50 or is it the same problem?

I would still buy the 6.5-20*50 as I love mine!!!

The hand book states,

'Special requirements should be met when sighting the Conquest 6.5-20*50MC riflescope. To be able to use the full range of the elevation adjustment, the riflescope should be mounted on the rifle at an angle of approx. 20 angular minutes with commercialy available mounting systems. (corresponds to 21 inch/100 yards or 58.4cm/100m)'

This does not apply to any of the other Conquest range.

On this note does anyone know where I can get the above commercialy available mount????

Once again do not let me put you off as the scope is usable with standard mounts just as my dealer said 'it is far from ideal' at the moment.

Let me know what you decide.

Cbw

Edited by cbw

The hand book states,

'Special requirements should be met when sighting the Conquest 6.5-20*50MC riflescope. To be able to use the full range of the elevation adjustment, the riflescope should be mounted on the rifle at an angle of approx. 20 angular minutes with commercialy available mounting systems. (corresponds to 21 inch/100 yards or 58.4cm/100m)'

On this note does anyone know where I can get the above commercialy available mount????

Once again do not let me put you off as the scope is usable with standard mounts just as my dealer said 'it is far from ideal' at the moment.

Cbw

are you talking about scope shims burris do them i think they fit most mounts to raise front or rear of scope

I have optilock on one of my Tikkas and Sportsmatch on the other..........

Sportsmatch...£22

Oplilock....£90

No contest as far as I'm concerned, Sportsmatch are better and much cheaper......Optilock are a P*** Take

http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/to48c.htm

No adapter needed for the Harris, attaches to the front stud on the T3!!

Edited by Deker
I have optilock on one of my Tikkas and Sportsmatch on the other..........

Sportsmatch...£22

Oplilock....£90

No contest as far as I'm concerned, Sportsmatch are better and much cheaper......Optilock are a P*** Take

http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/to48c.htm

No adapter needed for the Harris, attaches to the front stud on the T3!!

great news you saved me £68 thanks! :)

The hand book states,

Cbw

hi mate way you have to have these mounts for the zeiss ? i have hillver mounts and bases on mine and my zeiss will be here saturday. i hope now i dont have to get different mounts for it ?

my hilver ones adjust front and back for windage to. there higher then my old 30mm mounts i had but i should get the range adjsutment with these mounts shouldnt i ?

i no the 4x14x44 conquest as more moa then the 6.5x20x50 conquest. i should still be able to get to 400 yards on the turrets i think ? but over that i would need a 20moa rail ? not that i would go over that anyway

Edited by jamie g
are you talking about scope shims burris do them i think they fit most mounts to raise front or rear of scope

I've just ordered some Burris Signature Zee Rings with Pos-Align Offset Inserts, these allow you to change the POI without having to make large adjustments on the turrets, just small ones to fine tune!

There is also an insert with gives you 20 MOA change at 100 Meters! so it sounds like they could be right up your street.

There's a little video explaining how they work on the link below:

Burris Signature Zee Rings

Another plus point is they don't damage/mark your scope!

Hope this helps

J

Edited by jonher
That Zeiss is a great scope but it requires a special mount.

It is a 20 MOA scope rail and this would only need to be fitted if you were going to be doing some long range shooting and would need the extra elavation.

your right mate but if you did have it on then you would properly find it hard to zero the scope at normal ranges then say 100 yards