Best way to prepare a goose

Ok folks just aquired myself a Greylag courtesey of wildfowler :victory:

Anyway it was shot this morning.Do i hang it and any tips on the best way to cook it would be appreciated.

Never had goose and was always going to try it,so i dont want to waste it.

Ok folks just aquired myself a Greylag courtesey of wildfowler :victory:

Anyway it was shot this morning.Do i hang it and any tips on the best way to cook it would be appreciated.

Never had goose and was always going to try it,so i dont want to waste it.

Hope your going to share that bird with you animals, theres too much for you.... :o

Any way, assuming youve done the evisiration etc, wash inside and out. I would put on a raised rack in a roasting tin, because the fat is plentiful.

Weigh the bird, rub the skin with salt and pepper and then cook for 20 mins per lb at about 190 Deg C .

The fat is absolutely superb for cooking roast tatties, just pour off the fat half way through cooking and put it on your tatties instead of Oil.

The gibletts make good gravey to.

Theres a whole load of sandwiches for the week after too.....

Plus goose curry, goose risotto, cold goose and bubble and squeak. etc..... :clapper:

Lucky you.

Cheers matt.Well the thing is it is lying on my kitchen worktop,not long got it.Was going to pluck and clean it tomorrow.Will that be ok or will i do it now?Its for xmas so going to freeze it.

I wouldn't hang it too long, it doesn't need it. If it's cold outside, hang it in the shed till tomorrow, should be fine.

I prefer goose to turkey at xmas, much , much moister (is that a word LOL).

Freeze the giblets in a seperate bag, saves time later.

I've still to shoot a goose this year, not the traditional way, but when they go on the farm to graze, just drive up and nail one with the rifle. Benefits of farming on the banks of the Tay i suppose. Will do one proper sometime with the the shottie in flight..

Good eating... :thumbs:

Matt

Cheers matt.Well the thing is it is lying on my kitchen worktop,not long got it.Was going to pluck and clean it tomorrow.Will that be ok or will i do it now?Its for xmas so going to freeze it.

I wouldn't hang it too long, it doesn't need it. If it's cold outside, hang it in the shed till tomorrow, should be fine.

I prefer goose to turkey at xmas, much , much moister (is that a word LOL).

Freeze the giblets in a seperate bag, saves time later.

I've still to shoot a goose this year, not the traditional way, but when they go on the farm to graze, just drive up and nail one with the rifle. Benefits of farming on the banks of the Tay i suppose. Will do one proper sometime with the the shottie in flight..

Good eating... :thumbs:

Matt

Thanks matt i will go hang it in shed now

i tried loads of ways to cook a goose last year and without doubt the best way for me was to cover the bird in butter before roasting it ,i also flung the liver, heart.kidneys inside the bird with a peeled orange before roasting and i am sure it helped keep it from drying out ....keep the bird covered in tin foil right up until it hits the dinner table and it will be top class ,,make sure you put it on a raised tray in the oven so it does not sit on it,s own fat and as some one else said put the goose fat on your tatties .....can,t buy better....all the best ....

Matt, dear oh dear. Small calibre rimfire I hope. Used to use a .177 rimfire to clear out old cock grouse who were taking up too much room.

If the rain abates I will be out tonight up the hill waiting you them.

If I get one it will be hung by the neck undrawn for three days or more if it stays cold. Don't crank the oven up too much and you do not have to cover it, but must have it on a rack as said. Parboil the tatties and give them a good rumble up in the pan when drained.

Matt, dear oh dear. Small calibre rimfire I hope. Used to use a .177 rimfire to clear out old cock grouse who were taking up too much room.

If the rain abates I will be out tonight up the hill waiting you them.

If I get one it will be hung by the neck undrawn for three days or more if it stays cold. Don't crank the oven up too much and you do not have to cover it, but must have it on a rack as said. Parboil the tatties and give them a good rumble up in the pan when drained.

Yes jim, wouldn't waste a .243 round on one. I prefer them uncoooked LOL. Just normally head shoot one with the .22LR. I will get out and do it properly this year, its just access to a decent dog i dont have, so i would never shoot over water unless a definate retrieve was available.

I only shoot one or two a year on the farm for the dinner table. Keeps em moving of the crops.

I wouldn't cover with butter to cook, theres so much fat about, it's never going to dry out, but you could baste if it were drying...

Matt