Springers, Cockers and Pointers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dog is only good at tracking caught the sent of a big buck while walking it on the long lead and followed it i seen he deer and i was glad that the dog could track it by scent i let it of and it chased it found it an hour later with its nose to the ground must of lost it

If his nose is that good he could be put to game no trouble id say. If he can pick up the scent its half the battle

hope so bloody useless the last time i took her might be different though she's a gd ferreting dog

Its in his nature mate she should be good. Try bring her out with just one proven dog not in a pack she should pick it up. Steadyness is key dont let her too far away from you.

my dog is only good at tracking caught the sent of a big buck while walking it on the long lead and followed it i seen he deer and i was glad that the dog could track it by scent i let it of and it chased it found it an hour later with its nose to the ground must of lost it

If his nose is that good he could be put to game no trouble id say. If he can pick up the scent its half the battle

hope so bloody useless the last time i took her might be different though she's a gd ferreting dog

Its in his nature mate she should be good. Try bring her out with just one proven dog not in a pack she should pick it up. Steadyness is key dont let her too far away from you.

aye she was wanting to come with me today but i didnt want the hassle and it was too wet and windy to take her

aye she was wanting to come with me today but i didnt want the hassle and it was too wet and windy to take her

Sure try her the next time. If nothing else the dog will enjoy herself and thats what its all about. Im goin ratting with my two JRT's and my springer now. Up to a barn with the farmer moving bales that have been there for years, could get double figures.

• 2 weeks later...

HD55

Absolutely stunning pointer, my compliments.

For all the supporters that Spaniels and Labradors (including myself), I still think that for grace, style and beauty, you cannot beat the pointing and setting breeds. Unfortunately, I've never had tremendous success and I think that maybe our temperaments just don't match, as I've gotten on fine with Labs, Spaniels and HPR's.

My dream shooting holiday is to spend a day shooting grouse over pointers and setters on a scottish grouse moor. Heaven. I could watch them all day.

Absolutely stunning pointer, my compliments

thanks Pointer28. I know what you mean though, watching a pointer work can make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end when its going right...it can also make your blood boil when it isn't. I have been, and continue to be at times, at both ends of the experience spectrum! :icon_redface:

Its as much about the moorland, the grouse, and the views as it is about the dog work. All good fun. Lots of effort but continually rewarding. I just wish I was a better trainer!

Thanks again