my first boar

It was early september and I was sitting on a treestand in a birchtree. behind me swamp, in front of me cornfield, meadow, cornfield. to my right a small creek.

birkenkanzrp8.jpg

I approached the treestand early in the morning when it was dark, as I went back saw this in the meadow:

wschamh3.jpg

so I decided to visit the place again a few days later. thanks to thee moon one could see sort of ok also after the sun set. around 20:30 I saw a fox but 300meters are a bit too far. around 21:50 I heard noises in one of the cornfields and shorly after that I saw the silhouette of a boar coming out of the cornfield to my right. I checked thorugh my binos and was sure it was a male. as I wnated to swap bino and rifle, the boar had already disappeared into the cornfield on my left but came out of that just a few seconds later. as it presented itself for a safe shot, I shot it with my steyr prohunter. after the shot, i could hear the cracking and noises of a fleeing boar in the corn left to me and after a few seconds there was silence. I was pretty sure to have wounded it deadly but nonetheless, tracking wounded boar in teh dark and alone is a suicidal thing to do. so I called my uncle who arrived shortly after with the tractor. we looked for blood and found light red, foamy blood - lung! we tried to track the bloodtrail in teh corn but it seemed kind of dangerous, surefire-lamp in the left and revolver in the right hand, although the 357mag should pack enough punch.

so we worked the bloodtrail with the tractor. after about 50-60meters into the field, there was no trail to be found. then we smelled the boar. it was lying below the tractor. the shot destroyed the lungs and scratched the heart.

immaiszc6.jpg

the boar weighed about 60kg, quite okay.

saucolwj3.jpg

the tusks:

waffen1tf1.jpg

Are you allowed to work dogs on boars that havn't been shot?

to flush them out, yes, wer'e allowed to do that. we usually use deutsche jagdterrier and german spaniels for that. some other terrier breeds and sometimes even german longhaired and wirehaired pointers. they have to have passed the hunting examintation thing for dogs (don't know what it's actually called in english).

Deutsche jagdterrier could you let us know more about these, and a picture if at all possible, look forward to a reply, thanks

I have close to no experience with deutsche jagdterriers, sorry. They are said to be really tough. and they are stubborn.. like most terriers I suppose. I heard people say, deutsche jagdterriers only have their master to drive them to the hunts.

check this out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi November, that was a cracking account of your first Schwartzwild. Where abouts in Germany do you have your revier? I used to hunt in Sennelager, a little place called Ovenhausen a few miles South of Paderborn and in Bergen Hohne (Jagdrevier Meissental). I got my jagdschein in 1996 and left Germany in 2000.