Need to rig a bigger screen for my Yukon Digital Ranger

Guest JohnGalway

Guest JohnGalway

Hi folks,

My Yukon Digital Ranger is currently out on loan to a mate who's being plagued by vandals.

I'm looking to get some type of device so basically I can view what the Ranger sees on a larger screen. I know Yukon make the MPR but the price is a joke for a 2.5" screen.

I own an Archos AV 700. Typically, I now believe this is the wrong model for doing the job. Can anyone prove me wrong on that please? None of it's current leads will work with the Yukon. I bought a DVR Travel Adapter and that doesn't fit either lol. Organised I am not.

So, two choices for me. Either someone knows how to make the above combination work and will give me a bit of help sorting it. Or, I need to buy a different unit that's already been proven to work with the Yukon.

I'm not too bothered if the unit will record what it sees or not, it would be nice if it did but certainly not essential. What I am 100% looking for is to have a bigger screen so I can see what's going on.

Any help greatly appreciated.

ATB,

John

Photos of the gear

AV700

SL380193.jpg

SL380194.jpg

TV docking pod with lead

SL380195.jpg

SL380196.jpg

SL380199.jpg

A USB lead that plugs into a ciggie lighter for power, it also goes into the TV docking pod and Archos unit itself,

SL380195.jpg

SL380197.jpg

SL380198.jpg

3 leads which I have no idea about,

SL380200.jpg

SL380201.jpg

SL380202.jpg

2 scart thingamajiggys that seem to be able to be attached to the above leads.

SL380203.jpg

SL380204.jpg

Hey John none of those links are working for me but that's a side issue anyway

What sort of output is on the Yukon Digital Ranger? Is it standard S-Video. It looks like it. I may be missing what you're saying but would a laptop or PC with a video card work for you?

Guest JohnGalway

Cheers Veg, fixed that now. Not entirely sure of the Yukons output, I'd need to look that up.

I don't want to use a laptop, I'll br bringing this set up out in the field hunting :yes:

Hey John have a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

If I had to bet I'd say the output of the Yukon is composite video. NTSC or PAL I don't know. I'd say read the manual that came with it to figure out/check what format it is outputting (may not be composite video but I'd say it is) and check is the DVR thingy is compatible with that format.

Now looking at pics of the Yukon Digital Ranger on the net it is not quite clear what the outputs are, one looks like a normal 3.5mm jack and the other one looks weird. Any ideas if anything fits into that other connector, any of the cables you have?

So the first thing I would try (after checking the Yukon manual for output formats) is to plug the double ended 3.5mm jack cable (2nd picture in cable pictures), straight in both the AV 700 and the Yukon. You've probably done this already though

Edited by Vegeta

john.... all you need is a monitor with a video input or AV channel, this lead would come from the video out lead from the yukon..

i also had one of those archos units, to put anything through it that isnt archos you have to buy their specially adapted lead to take phono leads, i think the lead is about £70/80 ?? i sold my unit straight away..

for recording now i use the Goodmans GPDR40 40GB, which will take any device, but still has a small screen..

e b a y item: 170270195225

there is other unit on e b a y with 18" screens, whats your budget ?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey John have a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

If I had to bet I'd say the output of the Yukon is composite video. NTSC or PAL I don't know. I'd say read the manual that came with it to figure out/check what format it is outputting (may not be composite video but I'd say it is) and check is the DVR thingy is compatible with that format.

Now looking at pics of the Yukon Digital Ranger on the net it is not quite clear what the outputs are, one looks like a normal 3.5mm jack and the other one looks weird. Any ideas if anything fits into that other connector, any of the cables you have?

So the first thing I would try (after checking the Yukon manual for output formats) is to plug the double ended 3.5mm jack cable (2nd picture in cable pictures), straight in both the AV 700 and the Yukon. You've probably done this already though

yup the yukon plugs straight into a tv or vidio.. and goes into a standard DVR pc card, PAL/NTSC.. dunno what the plugs are but they fit into the yellow/red/black jack plugs that you get on most dvd player/vidio/tv's now adays...