falcon for first bird

andrew oldham

hi at the moment iam not in the possision to own my own bird but i would still like to pick your brains if you dont mind how i dont have a mentor that could nip round to help if needed but i do have a couple of nice people that i could call and get help that way how heres the thing for my first bird i would like to brake away from the norm and start out with a falcon can one or two of you nice people tell me if this is possable many thanks for any advise wether it is negative or posative thanks

andy

Guest jbswildlife

you would need to get one to one training as the handling and the working of a falcon is in a different world from say flying a harris. use lures is a knack that comes with practice, and you need to be used to having a bird approaching you in attack mode or the bird will lose confidance and make you frustrated in this art. there are now lantra awards you can do which will help. but the more flying and practice you can get before you take that step of owning one will increase your enjoyment. the falcon needs serious looking after and if you can supply that with confidance all the better.

you would need to get one to one training as the handling and the working of a falcon is in a different world from say flying a harris. use lures is a knack that comes with practice, and you need to be used to having a bird approaching you in attack mode or the bird will lose confidance and make you frustrated in this art. there are now lantra awards you can do which will help. but the more flying and practice you can get before you take that step of owning one will increase your enjoyment. the falcon needs serious looking after and if you can supply that with confidance all the better.

hi can i firstly just thank you for you advise so far and i know it is hard to juge how sombody is talking when you are typing away on a pc but i do understand fully the commitment that falcons take just like any other birds of prey i do not wish to nock your advise but i have been told that the latra awards are a waist of space do you mind if i also have your thoughts on that also please

andy

Guest jbswildlife

all awards are of no use unless you need it to prove you exsistance or job worth. if for hobby you do not require one but would advice on getting amounst the falconery clan in your area, but be adviced alot of them have not a good word to say about one another and that will have you going round in circles. i would go somewhere that does displays and offer your time to them and befreind them. practical is better than paperwork.

i was told of a place down the raod from me that dose desplays but when i asked if they neaded any help alls i got was we dont nead any help also tryed to find any other falconers that live near ish me without much success but that dose not mean iam going to give up falconry is somthing i have wanted to be a part of for a very long time and i do not intend to give up

andy

Guest jbswildlife

its annoying I know but go ask them about the lantra award. if its a good company right them a letter then follow it up with a phone call, just stay with it you will get there in the end. also try

$%^&*&^%$£$%^&*(

i was told of a place down the raod from me that dose desplays but when i asked if they neaded any help alls i got was we dont nead any help also tryed to find any other falconers that live near ish me without much success but that dose not mean iam going to give up falconry is somthing i have wanted to be a part of for a very long time and i do not intend to give up

andy

Hi andy

im not a hundred miles away and do go to builth now and again to see some family maybe if i get time il bring a bird along probably in a month or two...there are other places you can post try $%^&*&^%$£$%^&*( use me as a referal and maybe with the same thread you have started here you may find someone closer to you the bulk of falconers/austringers are on this forum....

cheers for now and good luck with yours search for a ,mentor.....with posts like the one made at the start of this thread it wont be long before you get off to a good start [bANNED TEXT]

Gaz

andy

Hi andy

im not a hundred miles away and do go to builth now and again to see some family maybe if i get time il bring a bird along probably in a month or two...there are other places you can post try $%^&*&^%$£$%^&*( use me as a referal and maybe with the same thread you have started here you may find someone closer to you the bulk of falconers/austringers are on this forum....

cheers for now and good luck with yours search for a ,mentor.....with posts like the one made at the start of this thread it wont be long before you get off to a good start [bANNED TEXT]

Gaz

hi gaz thank you very much for your very kind offer iam already a member of the iff and have been for a while i did have the offer to go to a couple of guys places but at the time the offer was made i was going up north quite often to see family so i could kill two birds with one stone but i havent been up that way for about 18 months and i would not want to be cheaky to send a message saying oh remember and your offer

andy

hi mate your not rong it is harder than i thought it would be i dont know if anyone on here knows of him or how true it is but i was told about a bloke that lives near builth wells just down the road from me that flys eagles i mean i dont realy want to get into eagles but i was thinking if this guy would also be willing to help with any advise then then iam not about to pass it up

andy

read books, watch videos and do a few courses try to get some hands on experience im sure a few people on here will take ye out (maybe). then a harris hawk or a red tail are ideal beginners birds for hunting. or maybe a buzzard to get ye self acquainted with the weight dropping and training of a bop.

• 5 months later...

Andy

A mate of mine lives about 7 miles from you, he flies two HH and loves to take interested parties out, his birds are put to moult at the mo but i'm sure he would only be to happy to take you out next season, as he did with me when I started, he even loaned me one of his HH to get me on the right track, a better mentor you wouldnt wish to have, obviously i'd have to ask him first.

BUT he doesn't suffer fools gladly and if your a knob you will be treated accordingly. I am near Builth, I note another on this thread is from Llandod, small world innit.

ATB

WAB