First day of our syndicate this year

Last Saturday was the first of our season and it was a walk up day. Well because I have a terrier then me and this other chap (cos he has two terriers) have to drive/walk the fields away from the guys who have labs and springers because ours dont behave in the same way as theirs.

We set off and half way up this field my terrier got two cock pheasants up out of some long nettles under a thorn bush well it came as such a suprise that I missed the first but got the second, well the terrier got there first and she thought she was doing a good job of plucking it for me until I took it off her. Anyway that was the first cock of our season and it was Terriers 1 labs 0.

Went further on and she got a hen up which was a left to right which I dont normaly like but I hit it with the first and it just folded its wings up and came down.

I was as happy as larry then so I put my gun away and just beat through a few woods for the other lads and had a fantastic day. She (my terrier) chased more hares up and down the fields and obviously never caught one but she enjoyed it.

Roll on a week on Saturday.

• 1 month later...

I was as happy as larry then so I put my gun away and just beat through a few woods for the other lads and had a fantastic day.

That just sums up a great day to me, what respect for tradition and the sport of game shooting, knowing when enough is enough to be able to put your gun away and just remember the day. :clapper: