• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were at a craft and country fair and you could walk around the estate house and grounds,we went passed the keepers cottage and the old bloke was standing feeding the birds,i asked had he reared them but apparently not,he said he just had lots of patience and with him being in his garden all day they were confident of him.there was all kinds flying into her hand for the feed :)

I can understand that. Been sorting a big garden all year, and the tits just feed away on the feeder now as if im not even there. The nuthatch is the same. Suppose if i sat still near them long enough....maby?

MOLL.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Great Tit, isn't it. HBG? I find mine are bolder than most around here. Second would be the Chaffinches. Greenies are a bit more flighty and surprisingly - to an old city boy - the House Sparrows are absolutley f***ing manic! Look out the window and they vanish in a spray!

My determination - probably for next summer, when I have the arse to sit out there half the day again - is to get one of my Pied Wagtails to feed from my hand! They nested in the half ruin which is to become my stable, one of these days. But the poxy roof blew in and wrecked them :( I'd been wondering where they'd got to lately, but yesterday they turned up again and today I saw they had two youngsters with them as well :) Must have nested up at my mates place.

Here's my male:

The Gypsy's Bird

Bloody robin makes me laugh. I leave the door open most nights. Always waking up to find bird sh!t around the kitchen! Quite often catch him nosing about out there too. Little bugger! :D

Bloody robin makes me laugh. I leave the door open most nights. Always waking up to find bird sh!t around the kitchen! Quite often catch him nosing about out there too. Little bugger! :D

:clapper: Great.

MOLL.

to be honest ditch i'm not sure what it was,there was a blue tit landed on her hand for food also,the wife as feeders up in the garden and she as commented a few times how some of the birds are getting more confident of her when she goes out,she can spend ages outside just sitting watching them on the feeders.here's another that was kicking about that day,i dont know what it is either :no:

I Put a load of feeders out in my garden when i moved here a few months back and got all the usual stuff, blue tits, great tits, sparrows , green finches ect but always had my bird book by the window just incase.

I looked out one morning and seen 2 birds i had never seen before ! turns out it was a pair of shrykes (spelling)

:icon_eek:

I contacted the rspb and reported it and it seems they have been coming further north each year....

they stayed for about a month and then moved on :)

Apperently these tiny finch like birds are capable of hanging mice on hawthorns ect to go back and feed off of at a later date :o

welcome back anytime though... i loved them :D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Shrikes :icon_eek: Red Backed? F***s me, mate! That's f***ing unthinkably good luck! I'd Sh!t myself to have shrikes on my land!

Yours will almost definatly have been Red Backed Shrike. Mind bendingly fantastic turn up in itself. I've personally watched a Masked Shrike (Ridiculously rare passing vagrant) catch a small lizard and sit there, ripping it to pieces like a hawk.

As for your Red Backs; Around the time I was born, they were still hanging on just outside my home city. But they were always popular with the f***ing Egg Collectors and that, more than anything, made them extinct down there.

I was well into my own Twitching career when the Pager said there was one, some miles to the east of me. My heart nearly burst on that high speed journey to catch a glimpse of it. A juvenile. I've honestly never had the pleasure of seeing a full male. And you get a pair of them in your bloody garden?! Unthinkable! You Lucky Bas .....!

I dindt even know what i was looking at D_S but i checked the book time and time again and i also had a mate who drove about 300 miles not to see me but the shrikes :laugh:

and who could blame him ??

The rspb were also monitering a breeding pair about 30 odd miles down the road :D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ricky; Go to Google / Images and ask it for Red Backed Shrike and also Great Grey Shrike. As ye say " Finch sized ", they *must* have been Red Backs. But that's even 'worse', because they just have no right being that far north!

And as for a breeding pair?! Un F***ing Precedented! This is what Global Warming and the attendant Climate Change is doing, mate: Turning things on it's bloody head!

Ricky; Go to Google / Images and ask it for Red Backed Shrike and also Great Grey Shrike. As ye say " Finch sized ", they *must* have been Red Backs. But that's even 'worse', because they just have no right being that far north!

And as for a breeding pair?! Un F***ing Precedented! This is what Global Warming and the attendant Climate Change is doing, mate: Turning things on it's bloody head!

Yep ! thats t he ones d-s !

The nesting pair where on skeldon estate in north Ayrshire.

Yep ! thats t he ones d-s !

The nesting pair where on skeldon estate in north Ayrshire.

My mate has a pic on his pc d_s iv just phoned sent him a message and asked him to send it

i'll try to get it up for ya .