Guest MOLLY

I will do my very best :yes:

Plus i can probably put the nest box in the wood opposite or next to the cottage if gardens are a no-go? But somewhere i can still keep an eye from the cottage with my bins.

MOLL.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ok, Moll. I'm back on my own ground for a few days now, so I shall have time to mess about and relax a bit more. Get some lighter things done. I'll sort out the given details for a Great Spotted nest box and a Nuthatch one (just for added interest) and shall explain my ideas on how to prime the Spot box.

I'll make a seperate post of it as I'd like people to have the oppertunity of having a go themselves and, down amongst this thread, they might miss it.

Anyway, 'Feeding the Birds': I managed to find a source of food yesterday and bought 7.50Ko each of seed and peanuts. Filled both feeders when I got home last night, after the birds had gone to bed. So they started hitting the feeders this morning. I'm saying this because I might remember to refer back here and check this date when they've ate the lot. See how long seven and a half kilo's of seeds or nuts lasts them.

Interested, just now, to see the Goldfinches are on the peanuts. One would expect / be led to believe they'd prefer the seed, eh? Especially frighteningly expensive Nyja! :icon_eek:

Anyway, I'm off to check my traps and the post box. May take my bin's and try to get to grips with a couple of birds out there who are doing my head in. My eyes aren't what they were and these little sods go up the track in front of me, tantalising but remaining just out of naked eye range. I'll have 'em yet!

Nuthatch?! :o I'm green with envy, Moll! That has to be one of the Most attractive birds we can hope for, no? I saw a Tree Creeper on my ground a short while back - nothing to do with my feeders, obviously - but I'd be ecstatic to get a 'Hatch. Never had woodies yet either.

Tell you what; I'll do you my Siskins for your Nuthatch. And how about some Cuckoo's for the 'Peckers? :D

Have you any nest boxes up? Both those two are said to need something a little bit special, for the best shot at attracting them.

On the subject of special boxes-What you really want is a glass backed box suckered to the window.Mate has one but never realized birds woke so early :11:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Suckerd??? I'd have to go with sylacone! I've never even trusted those feeders with suckers on the back :( Anyway; I had Pied Wagtails nesting in what's going to one day be my stables! :o ..... That is, untill that fateful, windy night! :cry: Poor b*stards! But they're still around - had one sneaking into my kitchen the other day! :laugh: I think nothing of finding birds in my kitchen - or flying right over my shoulder when I'm outside. Or even between my legs?! No one's ever hurt them here, see? So they lack that inbuilt terror of the tall, moving things. Kids here don't get air rifles to 'amuse themselves' with :angry:

Anyway, Moll: How are you with the old Flour Paste routine? Know how to make that so it'll stick like sh*t to a blanket, do you? Or else I heard the Khmer Rouge used rice starch for glue? But that's the bit that holds me up, see? We need an 'organic' type of glue to advance here. PVA won't quite fit the bill ;)

See? I've not forgotten you. Just too much on right now and more work streaming in too. Lots on!

Guest MOLLY
Anyway, Moll: How are you with the old Flour Paste routine? Know how to make that so it'll stick like sh*t to a blanket, do you? Or else I heard the Khmer Rouge used rice starch for glue? But that's the bit that holds me up, see? We need an 'organic' type of glue to advance here. PVA won't quite fit the bill ;)

See? I've not forgotten you. Just too much on right now and more work streaming in too. Lots on!

If your after a pie, forget it! By the time it got to Ire it would be off :yes: :sick:

Leave it with me, ill make enquirys...but i need to know what the glue is for 1st, im presuming wood?

MOLL.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Pies? I should be so lucky, Moll! I only have one tooth in the top of my head so can't bite. I live on Cambells Meatballs ("In Gorgeous Gravy") :sick: I'm absolutley f***ing sick to the gums of them! I nearly throw up, some of these nights, even as I prepare the hateful things. But it's a matter of survival, till I can get shot of that last damn tooth and gum my food.

No, you're quite right about the glue. Sawdust and / or wood shavings will be the target. Idea is you see; Woodpeckers have an innate need to peck out 'rotten wood' to form at least a good part of their own nests. I figure that if we get a bag of sawdust and soak it in water, then stir it up with a good, strong mix of one of the basic, natural startch glues? Pack that mess into the properly sized and shaped nest box and there you have it. The birds will have something as near to the real deal as is possible. Yet they won't be showering sh*t all over the forest floor :good:

And I Will pop up the details of that proper box. Just that there's no great rush as no woodpecker will be looking for a new home in July. And I, conversly, Am rushed. Just having my cuppa and smoke while my batteries charge. Then it's back off out to check my traps. Never made it out this morning. Up till gone five and just never had the heart to tie my boots back on. Jack Daniels did it's work and I collapsed! :whistle:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek: Did you take that shot yourself, Big Fish? If so; Jammy B*stard!. But, more than that, as the bird's obviously using that box, I'd be interested to learn the spec's of it - the box - and exactly what sized hole it has, please. Any other information ~ Position / Direction would be interesting too.

Like all wildlife; Birds don't always read the manuals! Nothing quite like random, real life experiances for building up the bigger picture :)

Guest The Big Fish

Tis my shot Ditcher, i have a gazilion photos of that particular pair. That box is a tit box thats been bored into a post, faces west and has a 30mm hole.

IMG_1589.jpg

Edited by The Big Fish
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Top Man, TBF :good: (And, god; They're lovely, aren't they?) 30mm, eh? I'll compare that to what the book says, when I eventually get round to searching it out here.

Don't happen to know the internals on that 'box', do you? Only I'm guessing it's already a fair bet that it'll be a quite at variance with the 'Ideal', as given in my book here ~ where ever it is.

Guest The Big Fish

Ive just measured the covering face plate and thats 5" x 5" so the actual inside box measurments would be about a 4 1/2 " cube, it was rough cut into the post with a chisel, just leaving a small recess and the face plate screwed on flush afterwards. Perhaps thats why they liked it, a bit more oh natural?

• 4 weeks later...

Getting better, this adult female is very nervous, flies away if she sees you moving through the cottage windows.

Well i told a bit of a fib...Steve is getting better, his camera not mine :D

MOLL.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Nice shot to look at, regardless, Moll.

And incidentally; One of these days here I will go and dig that damn book out for these nest box referances. Not helping, the fact that I'm a bone idle b*stard and it'll mean leaving this chair, going into the other room and, probably, stepping over or shifting something. Bit much like hard work.

Anyway, shouldn't need the info till the end of the year, so no heated rush, is there?