RedTail Vs Harris

Kye

Over here, the RedTail Hawk is deemed as a starter bird to fly, but back home, when my dad was in the falconry circle, it seemed that Harris where thought of as beginners birds,...

I like both types, maybe lean more towards the Harris, being so level headed and easily maned..

What do you guys prefer...dont seem to be many RedTail guys out there anymore!?..

Kye,..

Over here, the RedTail Hawk is deemed as a starter bird to fly, but back home, when my dad was in the falconry circle, it seemed that Harris where thought of as beginners birds,...

I like both types, maybe lean more towards the Harris, being so level headed and easily maned..

What do you guys prefer...dont seem to be many RedTail guys out there anymore!?..

Kye,..

Alright mate i had a female red tail about 8 yrs back when i couldnt afford a harris, red tails were nearly half the price, as a beginers bird i think the red tail will teach u more about falconry than a harris as harrises are more easy going, pr red tails took out the aviary at 6 months are bloody agressive at the first oppurtunity they will grab u any where as a hunting hawk the harris wins hands down against a red tail from my experience i do like red tails but the kind of land i have avaliable to hunt on the harris will always catch more than the red tail 1 thing i have alway liked about red tails thought r there feet they r very powerful indeed more powerful than a harris anyway this is just my opinion look forward to what the rest of u think :good:

Guest perlin

Been to a few falconry club field meets where redtails outnumbered the harris hawks,so there are still a few people that prefer reds. Harris hawks are great when you want to fly in company and seem a little more laid back. The redtail always looks to have more oomph !!!

Kye,..

Hell i,m in the process of finding out as i,m gonna buy my first Red Tail in august as i,ve had four seasons flying a caste of Harrises which i wouldn,t part with for any amount of cash.They,re both awesome hunters together and alone and will take on anything even grey herons.If you,ve got any info about Red Tails or know where i can get any i,d be more than grateful.

Guest falconeru.k01

Hi There ,

As perlin says harris can be flown in company of other people & with advantage of sevral birds that work together, I have bred both & hunted both ,Lots of pros & cons to both birds . i live on country estate with pheasant reared on grounds (3000 realesed).There is lot of cover on grounds & pheasant often get away from my male harris,s.So we flew redtail male last season which was more capable than the harris on these grounds but not keen on long chases it would give in on chase sometimes.But I still prefer the harris it will always give good flight , sociable & inteligent.(enjoyable always)

I know of few redtail owners who first struggled to get them first entered, & to have days bird just sits in tree looking down at you at weight it flew perfect the day before.Mine would not hunt in my friends company but was ok getting exersised in our flying arena with people watching.

Redtails can be great if you put in lot of effort into it, where the harris hawk always shows willing whatever the situation.

Regards Mick

www.raptormagic.co.uk