Real wolfhounds

Anybody know the last time a "wolfhound" was used on wolves? Irish, Russian, Borzoi (I think)???

Anybody using sighthounds today on them? I know they are legal to hunt in certain areas of the world, not in my neck of the woods, but curious how it was done before and why it isn't heard of today (if it still is done....legally of course).

Do a "YOUTUBE" search on wolf-coursing with borzois,filmed somewhere in Russia,pretty distasteful really as its a captive "Bagged" wolf released for the dogs,but it gives you some ideas of their capabilities as catch-dogs.

I have a irish wolfhound at home and yes far to big and heavy to work really,would love to see her on something big but she's the misses's pet.I'd recon if they made contact in the first strike then game over as i've been run into and was sat on my arse with ease,a lot i've seen seem to use there front legs to pin things down and would imagine they wouldn't last long in the real world hunting wolves.Will be flushing a hare for the gun with her this year :whistling: (memo must buy gun)just to see how she does but am not holding my breath at any 3/3.Must of been something else to have hunted with them in the old days,todays dogs i feel don't have the temprament for big game hunting,there so mellow for a big dog the only problem we ever have is due to her size.One tail wag can clear a coffee table and a wolfhound with the shits is as bad as it sounds :bad: .

Apparently the modern "Wolfhound" was created during the 1800's by a captain Graham who crossed Deerhounds and Great Danes to try to simulate the extinct Wolfhound, which, judging by the close history of Scottish and Irish culture was probably the same dog as the hairy highland Greyhound, ( Deerhound) that was taken across by the pioneers to form the foundation of what we now hear of as coyote or Staghounds in the U.S.

Guest scottish-staffy

my mum has 1 as a pet now and had 1 before this 1 is 9 munth and is phyco and verry game she would be able to takkle anaything i would put mony on it if she was going to be worked but not alowed to and the old 1 was too ill to work thay are the biggist wooses out but dont let that clowed your mind i have seen whot happens when a woolfie gets wriled up anayway hears sum pis of the pup and the old girl when she was about

DSCF1063.jpg

DSCF0949.jpg

DSCF0975.jpg

if thay wer no ban and i had oppen enough space i would try 1 of theses at fox and anaything bigger up to red deer

they are common in x's here in australia, a lot of piggers use thm for size and they have nose

technically no irish wolfhounds have hunted wolf for centuries... they were recreated too so not really the true wolfhound of ireland

if i was to look for a true wolf dog, i'd be looking at either american staghounds or borzoi in europe

dont ahve wolves over here, but we do have dingo

Nice looking dogs there mate,know what you meen when they get going.Have seen one pull a man and it had him by the back of the neck,have also seen ours put my lurcher over with so much ease it was untrue and do agree if they make contact job done.Met a elderly couple walking some on a beach in West Wales and they told me there is a bit of research being done by the owners club on hyredidtree(can't spell that one) faults such as cancer and hip probs,it seems there are some ped dog owners who do care about their breeds future.A pic of ours a while back being a sun lounger for my plummer.

Picture219.jpg

Used to regularly lamp with a Wolfhound Greyhound and a Wolfhound Greyhound x Collie Greyhound back in the 80's.The first cross was a bit sluggish on the turn the the collie x was spot on for all game.

Here in the states wolves are protected, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the ranchers losing stock in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado are allowing folks to go after them with hounds. There's a handful of open field coursers who use borzoi on coyotes, just little wolves in my opinion. My dog's sire is really keen on coyotes, he's got some gnarly battle scars from taking them on by himself.

Daragoi, you forget Alaska is part of the US and wolves are legal to hunt there. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado don't have half the wolves Minnesota has in just it's upper NE corner, COMBINED. Then let's not forget Wisconsin and Michigan which also have huge numbers of wolves. Anyhow, I didn't know if anybody used wolf-dogs for wolves anywhere it's still legal. I don't think they will let them use dogs on them here in the lower 48. Too many tree huggers. Besides, I don't know anybody who would use regular hounds as they regularly get killed on bear chases by wolves. That's why I'm wondering if there are any real wolf-dogs left.

The youtube video looked like the biggest joke I've ever seen. The wolf looked like a half starved Malamute and smaller than the borzoi. I'm talking 180lbers that you find in Alaska and Canada. Saw a different video of a Caucasion Ochackva (sp?) that killed two smaller wolves in like 1960 on youtube. Mean looking shepardish dog, not lurcher type, but tough nonetheless.

Edited by rolly
Daragoi, you forget Alaska is part of the US and wolves are legal to hunt there. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado don't have half the wolves Minnesota has in just it's upper NE corner, COMBINED. Then let's not forget Wisconsin and Michigan which also have huge numbers of wolves. Anyhow, I didn't know if anybody used wolf-dogs for wolves anywhere it's still legal. I don't think they will let them use dogs on them here in the lower 48. Too many tree huggers. Besides, I don't know anybody who would use regular hounds as they regularly get killed on bear chases by wolves. That's why I'm wondering if there are any real wolf-dogs left.

The youtube video looked like the biggest joke I've ever seen. The wolf looked like a half starved Malamute and smaller than the borzoi. I'm talking 180lbers that you find in Alaska and Canada. Saw a different video of a Caucasion Ochackva (sp?) that killed two smaller wolves in like 1960 on youtube. Mean looking shepardish dog, not lurcher type, but tough nonetheless.

I didn't forget about Alaska. In Alaska it is illegal to hunt wolves and other furbearers with dogs, though you can trap and hunt with firearms. I think the only game you can hunt with dogs there is bear. Mainly I named off those specific states since they are the ones with the worst problems with wolves killing off large amounts of livestock, and game officers are finding illegally shot, poisoned and trapped wolves there. A friend of mine has a sister in Alaska who did have an Irish wolfhound, he is a pretty famous dog among wolfhound people. She never coursed him, but a grizzly bear did come in the yard one day and went after their 4 year old. The dog fought the grizzly for several minutes, giving the child enough time to escape and for her husband to get the gun. No question the bear would have killed the dog eventually, but how many dogs out there would fight a grizzly bear in the first place?

Most states heavily regulate what you can and can't hunt with hounds. Using hounds on bear and cougar were banned here, but then the cougar became such a nuisance the governor had to do an emergency repeal of the ban on them.

Those ovchartka are no joke! They are seriously a lot of dog.

Though, using wolfhounds to control wolves without actually killing the wolf might be an idea. In Montana the ranchers hire guys with Karelian bear dogs to run the grizzlys off. No livestock gets eaten, no bears get shot, the dogs get to chase bears, some folks get paid to run their dogs, everybody wins. I know that borzois were used to catch and hold wolves more than kill them, and at one point they would just tie the wolves up and parade through town, later released to be coursed another day so maybe something along those lines might work if proposed to the right folks.