where to shoot a wood pigeon

wayney

I have a air arms s400 in 177 and tonight i shot two wood pigeons in the chest just below the neck i expected them to drop dead but they flew off, could anyone tell me where there kill zone is, is it just the head or is there another part of the body, i didn't seem to have a problem killing them when i hit them in the same place with my hw80 in 22. i think the air arms is great but cant help wishing it was a 22. :icon_eek:

Guest blackntan
I have a air arms s400 in 177 and tonight i shot two wood pigeons in the chest just below the neck i expected them to drop dead but they flew off, could anyone tell me where there kill zone is, is it just the head or is there another part of the body, i didn't seem to have a problem killing them when i hit them in the same place with my hw80 in 22. i think the air arms is great but cant help wishing it was a 22. :icon_eek:
WAYNE DISTANCE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING , BUT HEAD SHOT IS ALL WAYS THE DROP SHOT BUT SIDE SHOT ZONE JUST UNDRE THE WING AT THE FRONT ,BUT IN RANGE

A frontal shot just below the neck,may well have resulted in hitting the bird's crop. If it had had a good day feeding, there would have been like a bag of grain and leaves to absorb the pellet's energy.It's only when cutting open the crop, that you really appreciate just how much damage a flock of woodies can do to a farmers peas/grain/rape or whatever.

woodies are built like little tanks, headshots are the only way as Taff said. I've hit em with .22 hollowpoints at 10 yards or less and despite firing from elevation and hitting beside the neck putting the round deep into their chest they get up a few seconds later. with .177 you just dont have the punch to drop them without hittin the little buggers in the bean.

good luck n happy hunting :)

I shot one today very clean in the neck near the head and it dropped like a stone and rolled down my roof just nice :whistling: But as the lads say under the wing if the head does not present you with a shot or as I do in the neck as close to the head as possible. There's no exact science in that practice but it's never failed me and as you all know they are tough little f****r's at the best of times :boxing:

Guest lurcherboy2008

wayne i used a.22 AGS Lite [bANNED TEXT] gun for 3 years got use to it 1st year i was missing the head and hitting anywher silly me ( nothing to brag about though) but then i used the top f the wing as my kill zone worked every time, THEN head and neck and soon as i knew i could hit 8/10 head shots (the other 2 misses) i upgraded to a .177 and iv never looked back, whatever you hit in the head ir neck its comeing down if its on the kill list anyway :yes::yes:

9 times outa 10 woodie's hit in the chest with a 177 do a fly 'n' die. try a heavier slug it might help... i personaly favour a 22. i shot over 50 woodies in a night mostly body shot's around 25 yard's with my 22 raider and they were dropping like bag's 'a' shite.. :victory:

Guest lurcherboy2008

crows are nothing the woody's are the strongest of birds specially with the chest you have to get past the thick breast and load of food before the pellet even thinks about killing itl, head shot or nothing i say i use to hit birds and rabbits everywher now i find it cruel specially when they fly off if i was 5 years younger or started shooting all over again id be doing target practice to make sure i can hit a head or neck shot EVERY time :yes::yes:

Always fun seeing everyones views.....interesting to note it's head/neck shots only...except for those that shoot them in the chest and they drop instantly...so that's all clear now!! :whistling::thumbs::yes::no:

...and anyone who can consistently head shoot a pigeon with a 12 ft lb air rifle should think about doing it professionally!!

...and how come you all seem to suggest by head shooting it you kill it, or MISS it, nobody ever scalped one, sliced a chunk out of his throat or shot his beak off....No :hmm:

I'll just go and put my tin hat and bullet proof vest on!!! :thumbs:

:clapper: yeah i'v scalped em .hit em straight threw both eye's in and out . and they have been still alive :victory: i dont alway's take head shot's at woodies . no need to . proper shot placement at the correct ranges will drop woodies flat. next time you have a dead' un' examine it check it's anatomy this will give you better understanding of were to place yer shot. and that old armour plating bollock's always crop's up :clapper: put a dead woodie up at 30 yard's shoot it in the chest and i bet the shot goes right threw that armour .in and out.. sure sometimes they will fly'n'die when hit in the chest. but they do this when hit with a shot gun aswell. it's just adrenaline kickin in , not realising they been hit. then they usually fall out the sky as dead as a feckin nit... :victory:
Guest lurcherboy2008
Always fun seeing everyones views.....interesting to note it's head/neck shots only...except for those that shoot them in the chest and they drop instantly...so that's all clear now!! :whistling::thumbs::yes::no:

...and anyone who can consistently head shoot a pigeon with a 12 ft lb air rifle should think about doing it professionally!!

...and how come you all seem to suggest by head shooting it you kill it, or MISS it, nobody ever scalped one, sliced a chunk out of his throat or shot his beak off....No :hmm:

I'll just go and put my tin hat and bullet proof vest on!!! :thumbs:

if the head is visible for the shot then for me its either hit or miss, i may be shaking a little and dop a bit and hit it just under the neck etc, but i NEVER aim elsewher from the head or neck if they both clear shots, if for instance the woody is sleeping or whatever and they got they head and neck tucked down tight ill then aim for the top of the wing (if from the side) the top of the back/bottom of neck if aiming from behind, if facing it then its head will have a hole in it within a few seconds :laugh:

thanks for the replys some usefull information there, i shot the woodys from roughly about 30yrds i will try shooting the head the next time and hopefully it will die straight away as i do have respect for the quarry im shooting and nothing goes to waste it's either fed to the ferrets or given to a guy i work with who eats most of what i shoot.