My local herd of roe deer were out in the field behind my house this afternoon. I counted 25 but they were all hinds. Usually there is a buck with them. Is it usual that the buck would have left them on there own or is it likely that he has been injured or killed.

Don't know too much about the habits of wild deer herds and was just wondering if any of you might have

any ideas.

Are you sure there roe mate cos 25 is a big group of roe :whistle: Could be fallow maybe and you don't call them hinds there does ;)

Yes, they are roe. Sorry bout the wrong terminology. I got it 1/2 right. I was going to say stag, oops.

that sounds an awfull big heard of roe ive seen 17 in one field before but that was a few groups coming together to a field of turnips to feed..there is not 17 any more ;) the buck must be a right stud serviceing all those does hes probably sleeping somewhere :p

You could have a point about different groups. The most i've seen was 23 about 50yards from my back fence all sat down. Usually when they're about there's probably no more than a dozen.

When I saw them today they weren't on any crops feeding and just seemed to be playing about jumping backwards and forwards across a big ditch. I don't know what it was that spooked them but after about 45 mins they all legged it for the woods. However there was definately no buck amongst them.

Im still not convinced about that much roe together with one buck.. did the buck look like one of these?

The buck was just like the photo on the right which I believe is a roe

I find it very hard to believe thats theres no young bucks amongst 27 Roe,infact ide bet my bollocks on it that they are Fallow.Infact ide bet anything that they arent Roe...

Could make some money here spade :o:D

Roe deer are usually found in small groups .However ,we have an area around us which is deemed a sanctuary and regularly holds between 30-50 roe of all ages and sexes which come together to form a herd .They can be veiwed from the roadside .I queried the roe herd thing until I saw this for myself.In the rutting season bucks will not toleratea bucks of breeding age around them.

I have done a large amount of hunting around that area and i have never seen a roe. Seen and killed a good few fallow though and this is what the deer will probably be. Roe are quite scarce in lincolnshire, and are only making a small presence in the county from what i have seen and heard. :yes:

I have done a large amount of hunting around that area and i have never seen a roe. Seen and killed a good few fallow though and this is what the deer will probably be. Roe are quite scarce in lincolnshire, and are only making a small presence in the county from what i have seen and heard. :yes:

there are plenty of roe off the carrigeway from newark heading towards lincoln seen twelve together this morning in one field about thirty yards from a wood and another 4 together a few fields away on the way to work just before 8 all were doe's

Guest WhitbyRich

Right time of year for roe to herd up. should of been a velvet head or three among 25 deer if not ,very sorry but they aint roe.prove us all wrong

take some photos or wait a couple of weeks and take a gun to the bucks. :good:

were imworking theres prob 10 -12 roe deer , 1 is very small buck with very small velvet antlers , 1 buck has abit bigger anlers bout 3-4 inches velvet and i seen the older 1 the otherday with antlers about 7-8 inches , all in he same group :good:

Were did you say you were working again :whistle: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:haha::haha::haha:

there are plenty of roe off the carrigeway from newark heading towards lincoln seen twelve together this morning in one field about thirty yards from a wood and another 4 together a few fields away on the way to work just before 8 all were doe's

ive got about 6 on our shoot that i see on a regular basis and thats in newark and ive a mate in lincs who says he see roe on his land to so there are a few around here but not large herds :good: