• REALTREE HARDWOODS HD

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could be Grannyarmchairflauge? :D:laugh:

Sure why not! I'm sure it would be applicable to a percentage of THL members! :D

The point of camouflage is concealment! Dressing like a digitally printed tree isn't good in every circumstance especially as alot of my shoots are conducted on business premises. Dressing like a pretend soldier will not get me a contract renewal next year! :D

Overalls where it's needed. Ghillie suit when it isn't. Depends on your circumstances. ;)

It could be Grannyarmchairflauge? :D:laugh:

Sure why not! I'm sure it would be applicable to a percentage of THL members! :D

The point of camouflage is concealment! Dressing like a digitally printed tree isn't good in every circumstance especially as alot of my shoots are conducted on business premises. Dressing like a pretend soldier will not get me a contract renewal next year! :D

Overalls where it's needed. Ghillie suit when it isn't. Depends on your circumstances. ;)

I was using digital as an example...

I was using digital as an example...

I was thinking more the digital technique used to replicate these patterns onto clothes. I think it's been established that animals aren't stupid. The ones that couldn't adapt to man's predation are now extinct in the UK.

Camo is about concealment. Realtree Hardwood is going to be useless in marshland. Likewise Realtree Hardwood Snow is going to be completely useless in woodland, unless it's snowing.

Disruptive Pattern Material (DPM) is a general pattern designed to break up body outline. It's vague enough to be used anywhere the colours match. Which is why they have green and desert. The US Army's digital pattern appears to give a shimmering effect and work on the human eye being unable to put the pieces together... at least that's how it appears to me. It also appears that they have adopted this one pattern versus the woodland, desert, urban etc as a cost cutting exercise. At least that's how I see it, I could be wrong.

Realtree is clever marketing tool that takes very good camo but makes it for a specific situation, meaning you have to buy lots of it to cover the different terrains it's suited for. This is how they make their money and how they've managed to corner the market with their must have situational coverings. :D

For me the whole point about concealment is blending in. This is equally applicable to other human beings, as I don't want to draw attention to what I'm up to so I adopt clothing that doesn't stick out. That is why Realtree isn't an option and why you pay more attention to people wearing Realtree in public. You simply know they're hunting, either going or coming back. No one looks twice at someone in jeans and a sweatshirt carrying a holdall. Same way a white Renault Kangoo goes unnoticed against the LR90 with tactical warn winch, complete with roof mounted lamp. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to be camouflaged.

A few years back we had a shoot at a busy industrial unit. We couldn't understand why we just couldn't get close to the rabbits. After several days of watching, and learning, we discovered that the rabbits were completely un-phased by the high visibility jackets the staff were wearing. The penny dropped and we managed to blag a couple of jackets from the stores. As a result we looked like staff and, presumably, not a threat. A very long story short we managed to cull the numbers back, with such a degree, that we got a 12 month paying contract from the site. DPM didn't work that time.

Basically I adapt my clothing and demeanour to the individual circumstances of the shoot. If that means dressing like a golfer to avoid the fair weathered anti then so be it. My mission is to make you completely unaware that I'm doing my job. :D

For me the whole point about concealment is blending in. This is equally applicable to other human beings, as I don't want to draw attention to what I'm up to so I adopt clothing that doesn't stick out. That is why Realtree isn't an option and why you pay more attention to people wearing Realtree in public. You simply know they're hunting, either going or coming back. No one looks twice at someone in jeans and a sweatshirt carrying a holdall. Same way a white Renault Kangoo goes unnoticed against the LR90 with tactical warn winch, complete with roof mounted lamp. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to be camouflaged.

Seeing someone dressed in full Realtree gear in public is more likely to elicit amusement than owt else in my opinion. Like the goon I saw at Wells market the other week. Not a hunter as such, just a posy get..... :laugh:

I can't get away from the feeling that the real reason a lot of people wear camo in public is to look like real soldiers. In most cases it don't work....

Edited by droid