first pigeon on the wing

Guest hyperion

went for a mooch yesterday afternoon to have a look round our new permission with my shooting budy and his shotgun, ive only ever broken a few clays before yesterday and i havent used a shotgun for a couple of years, james has only shot clays once before so even after we had fired nearly twenty shots for no return we were still happy just to be out and having a look around our new ground, enjoying the feeling of having our own ground at last and spotting plenty of rabbit sign and sites for hides as well as watching a pair of roe feeding across a field no more than twenty yards away, (we counted nine roe in all on our mooch)

we were making our way back up the side of a large plantation towards where we had left the car to pick up the air rifles and try our luck at the rabbits on the other side of the farm when i spotted a pigeon coming up the tree line just below tree top height, as he dissapeared behind the branches of a large oak that overhangs the field i put the gun to my shoulder and took the safety off ready, then i saw him through the branches and swung the gun up, covered him with the barrels and pulled the trigger, BANG! a small puff of feathers and he cartwheeled down through the leaves to land about ten feet away in a patch of rough grass on the edge of the field!

i broke the gun and slipped the spent cartridge into my pocket and went to pick up my first ever bird shot on the wing!, the cartridge now sits on the shelf above my bed and in a minute i shall be having my pigeon pan fried with some bacon and mushrooms for my breakfast!

just one of the greatest moments of my life, and one that i will remember for the rest of my days!

cheers

hyperion

Well done..Nothing like your first..I bet your hooked now..

Give this a try...Head out a few hours before sunset and pick out the tallest tree around...Dress up in full cammo and face net and wait under the tree for them to come into roost for the night...Its great craic picking them off as they come in to land on a branch....It might be a bit hard this time of year as there is still a lot of folage on the trees but as winter sets in and the leaves start to fall you will have a blast...