Reccomendations please

In my experience, Canons cmos sensor is very rough at high iso,(i have a 450d, body only, and use an 70-200 f4 usm L series lens, not image stabalised, ) so i would buy body only and invest in an usm L series lens f4 or better f2, so you can shoot at lower iso.

Dont know much about Nikon but there older cameras seem like the dogs danglies(up to the d60) the next 2 the 70 and 80 have been getting a bit of stick, i think its mainly about more money for little improvement. But the 40-60 have rave reviews.

I have had an olympus E510, the sensor was spot on even at high iso and shutter speeds of 1/2000, but the lenses are very slow and when shooting action shots you will get one then the next few may be blurry then you will get another, and its frustrating to get home and see the cracking shots you have missed. Plus olympus cameras have a 4/thirds mount, so you are restricted with lenses, and olympus lenses are very very expensive(saying that so are they alll)

I have also had an Samsung gx 1L,(which was just a re-badged pentax) cost 220 pounds from tescos with twin lens pack usual 18-55 and 70- 250 cheap end lenses, but i took some cracking pics with it, and wish i had settled for it, they seem very hard to find now as they are old, but if you can get it for the price i did you cant go wrong.

Dont know much about sony as they are relatively new to the market, but i would not listen to any blurb the adverisers say, or indeed most photographic magazines as most seem to be kennel blind to one or the other,(my Canon is advertised as virtually noise free, i dont know how they grt away with this under the trade description act, as i find it the worst i have seen) but ask people who actually use the cameras, to get an honest opinion, i find cameras are like cars , its not the buying them thats the hard bit, its the peripherals that kill you(tax, insurance etc) and cameras are the same, you will pay 3-500 pounds for a budget dslr, but can pay 5 times that for a lens, even my L series lens is at the lower end of Canons price range, and still cost 70 pounds more than the camera, so my advice is basically any camera but the best lens you can afford,and advice of those that use them, hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Folks,

looking to take the step into DSLR from compacts.

What would you recommend?

Been looking at the Sony a200 & the like.

Many thanks

Dave

If you like to have the most reliable and trouble free camera you should take a closer look to canon and nikon. The small models as the canon 300/400

series are very handy and more than good enough so is the nikon 40x 70s and so on. the more professional canon 20/30/40 and nikon 200/300 even

better. more robust, but little difference in picture quality. Your first lens should be the 18-55mm WITH IS OR VR. Those lenses incorporate an built in

stabilizer that will help you hold steady in low light situations. The optical performance of those lenses are better than average and at the same level

as professional lenses, but they are not as sturdy or more fragile. My experience and knowledge are made up through 30 years as nature

photographer. I have in personal arsenal the "full" line of lenses up too and including 800mm of both mentioned brands.

regards eagle

Hi Folks,

looking to take the step into DSLR from compacts.

What would you recommend?

Been looking at the Sony a200 & the like.

Many thanks

Dave

If you like to have the most reliable and trouble free camera you should take a closer look to canon and nikon. The small models as the canon 300/400

series are very handy and more than good enough so is the nikon 40x 70s and so on. the more professional canon 20/30/40 and nikon 200/300 even

better. more robust, but little difference in picture quality. Your first lens should be the 18-55mm WITH IS OR VR. Those lenses incorporate an built in

stabilizer that will help you hold steady in low light situations. The optical performance of those lenses are better than average and at the same level

as professional lenses, but they are not as sturdy or more fragile. My experience and knowledge are made up through 30 years as nature

photographer. I have in personal arsenal the "full" line of lenses up too and including 800mm of both mentioned brands.

regards eagle

Canon every time for me :thumbs: , I use a Powershot S70 for messing about, which doubles as a video cam :thumbs: and for more serious stuff I use a 30D with a variety of lenses :thumbs:

Ian Kerr (Flash Camera is his ebay shop) is a good guy to deal with :thumbs: