CZ .17HMR 16'' or 20'' Barrel????

In principle you pay about £50 more to get 4 inches less barrel... :hmm::hmm:

Never could quite understand that one!!

The 20" will have the edge in accuracy but unless you are of Olympic standard I doubt very much you will notice the difference.

The HMR ammo tends to use a different powder to most .22LR and does take a bit longer to burn up the barrel, (it is also cleaner as it burns more effectively) 16" is generally accepted to be the shortest you want to go with HMR.

hiya bud,i have a cz 452 style .22 16" barrel,and a mod 2e brno,21" i think barrel and there is no difference in accuracy,but the 16" is a lot easier when shooting out the cab,and just a little bit lighter,unless you go for .17 with a varmint barrel they are heavy,so overall the shorter barrel is spot on for shooting out the 4x4,but a longer barrel makes no difference to accuracy,oki doki,ian

thanks chaps, don't understand the difference in price myself, you pay more to get less? :blink:

i think i'll go for the 20'' heavy barrel, got a price of £285 rifle only. cheapest price i've managed to get.

will mostly be using a bi-pod and prob never shooting from a cab, so weight isn't an issue

cheers

thanks chaps, don't understand the difference in price myself, you pay more to get less? :blink:

i think i'll go for the 20'' heavy barrel, got a price of £285 rifle only. cheapest price i've managed to get.

will mostly be using a bi-pod and prob never shooting from a cab, so weight isn't an issue

cheers

i think its more dear for the shorter one because they come into the country at 20 inch then some are recut and thread to 16 inch so thats why they are exta cost. that or it could be tht they no 16 inch barrel is more popular so charge more.

i would go with the 16 inch barrel if i where you. or if you get a 20 inch barrel get the over barrel mod for it

it will look pretty compact then.

my annie hmr is 18 inch barrel with over barrel mod and its nice and compact. i dont think there willl be any difference in accuracy between 16 and 20 inch barrel. and if you did see the difference it would only be at long range say 200 yards !

the longer barrel would hold group better at that range BUT its a hunting caliber any how not a target rifle so it wont matter. and its not like your going to be shooting at 200 yards all the time :thumbs:

The 16" barrel is lighter, and more manouverable and i've heard the 20" gives you abit less power/effective killing distance on the bullet.

Old proverb....

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see!!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
The lomger barrel should give you more power shouldnt it :blink:

yes in theory but i think that depends on how quickly the power is burnt up buy the round. if the powder is not fully burnt before the end of the barrel then the bullet will not have reached it's maximum velocity but i think the 17 hmr round burns it's powder before 16" so a 20" barrel wont increase the velocity of the round but it will increase the accuracy ever so slightly but not enough to notice really.

Karl

Edited by karlp86

Someone who knows more than me will no doubt be able to explain the physics better than me, but very quickly....

Most HMR powder is burnt by about 14-15 inches up the barrel

Most HMR are 16-16.5 twist rate so it is generally suggested a 16 inch barrel is the minimum you want to go to, which guarantees a complete rotation of the bullet in the barrel and full powder burn.

Longer barrels will give you a fraction better accuracy and arguable slightly more power.

The extra power is generated as the pressure behind the bullet is not dissipated (as out of a shorter barrel) quite as quickly, even though the powder burn is complete there is still considerable pressure in the barrel, but there is also a tiny bit of extra friction up a longer barrel. Like I say someone need to explain the physics.

Accuracy wise...look at target rifles...all have LONG barrels, we wonder into other areas here though, as many also use ring sights, and distance from fore to rear sight also improves accuracy...its all very complicated.

Bottom line is, for most reasonably competent shooters for most applications you are unlikely to notice the difference!

:thumbs: