Decoy pattern for crows.

I was wondering about my decoy pattern this week. I was not attracting any birds and was wondering about pattern. Mine was fairly tight...should the decs have been spread thinly?

Get a battery operated flapper mate, the type you use a dead bird in, its worth 20 static decoys :victory: also leave some large gaps between your decoy groups for incoming birds to land in :victory:

Best of luck

I was wondering about my decoy pattern this week. I was not attracting any birds and was wondering about pattern. Mine was fairly tight...should the decs have been spread thinly?

Get a battery operated flapper mate, the type you use a dead bird in, its worth 20 static decoys :victory: also leave some large gaps between your decoy groups for incoming birds to land in :victory:

Best of luck

Thanks for the reply keith, Ive just returned to decoying after a long absence. Ive just bought a Lanber Gold sporter for decoying, a complete hide and camo set up plus the decoys so it will be a while before I have the dosh for the battery flapper. I have heard and read mixed opinions on the flapper which is another reason to hold back on that.

Can I ask: Do you mix crows and pigeon decs together?

Do you spread the decs wide or tight?

Best of luck

Thanks for the reply keith, Ive just returned to decoying after a long absence. Ive just bought a Lanber Gold sporter for decoying, a complete hide and camo set up plus the decoys so it will be a while before I have the dosh for the battery flapper. I have heard and read mixed opinions on the flapper which is another reason to hold back on that.

Can I ask: Do you mix crows and pigeon decs together?

Do you spread the decs wide or tight?

Yes mate , i sometimes put down some pigeon deeks with the crows but i tend to put them as a group just to one side of the main crow patern, sometimes this gives the crows more confidence to come to the deeks-- if they are drifting away then it.s easy to take the pigeons in. If you are decoying for crows early in the season and you know they are actually feeding on the field , then i put the decoys close together say 2 ft apart it them helps if you put them in a few small groups,and keep these groups about 6 ft apart, this gives incoming crows a target to try and land in, later on in the season i tend to put all my crow deeks out a little further apart but without the grouping basically just spread them about. Always put them at angles slightly facing into the wind, also a good crow call is a great help...

Good Hunting.

Keith...

Just jumping in on this thread as were talkin about crow decs what is the best cartrige to use i have just come back this morning from shooting crows using 32g size 6 hull sterling game and was noticing that i was hitting alot but not taking them down is the shot to big or am i just crap????

• 4 weeks later...
I have a plastic eagle owl which the crows hate, especially if you put a dead woodpigeon in front of it and pull a load of feathers out and scatter them in front. Works well on bare ground where it shows up better.

Kev.

do you put any blacks around as well or do you just owl and pigeon and give the destress call.

I have been putting a bounce a flapper and 3 plastic blacks out and then using a U-caller to take photos. I have no owl as i dont know which one to go for , i have seen big owls and the little owls but dont buy as dont want to be left with something thats of no use.

I have a plastic eagle owl which the crows hate, especially if you put a dead woodpigeon in front of it and pull a load of feathers out and scatter them in front. Works well on bare ground where it shows up better.

Kev.

Ohhh, you are sneaky! :clapper:

do you put any blacks around as well or do you just owl and pigeon and give the destress call.

I have been putting a bounce a flapper and 3 plastic blacks out and then using a U-caller to take photos. I have no owl as i dont know which one to go for , i have seen big owls and the little owls but dont buy as dont want to be left with something thats of no use.

I just use a call to start with and then add one or two crows as I shoot them but to be honest they usually come down without calling. I have a plastic Little Owl as well but the big one works better.

Kev.

I just use a call to start with and then add one or two crows as I shoot them but to be honest they usually come down without calling. I have a plastic Little Owl as well but the big one works better.

Kev.

thanks Kev. is it the american eagle owl?

I have been toying with the idea but never knew whch one.

countywise sell them so i'll go get one, i think they do the little owl though

regards

Phil

Not sure, it's just a big scary looking thing. One thing I did do is paint its eyes with flourescent yellow paint and then painted the pupils back in. I'll try to put up a pic of it. (I'll have to wait for some help off my daughter for that one). Kev.