when i did the game keeping course in 1990 i was sent to cupar in fife ,elmwood collage,,,,i was lucky i had my placement sorted before i went to collage so i only had to do 2weeks then another 3--- 2 week blocks for the rest of that year and 5 x 2week blocks on 2nd and final year

the other class mate,s who didnt have a placement before going to colloge had to wait up to 6 weeks at colloage till they found them one

elmwood colloge was good,,,,,it was like a 2 week party lol

goodluck if gamekeeping is what u want to do,, :gunsmilie:

Edited by whip x grey

when i did the game keeping course in 1990 i was sent to cupar in fife ,elmwood collage,,,,i was lucky i had my placement sorted before i went to collage so i only had to do 2weeks then another 3--- 2 week blocks for the rest of that year and 5 x 2week blocks on 2nd and final year

the other class mate,s who didnt have a placement before going to colloge had to wait up to 6 weeks at colloage till they found them one

I was there 1991-1993 i also had a placement but the guys who didnt had to work on the collage farm until placed. Your right it wasa good time.I am wondering if i went at the same time as you.I continued keepering for a further two years then got into pest control which i still do.Good luck with your keepering

I was there 1991-1993 i also had a placement but the guys who didnt had to work on the collage farm until placed. Your right it wasa good time.I am wondering if i went at the same time as you.I continued keepering for a further two years then got into pest control which i still do.Good luck with your keepering

i was to think the excact date i thought 1990,,,,but thats when started my placment,,,it was febuary the next year i went to elmwood,,,which was 1991,,( i think )

i cant remeber all the guys i think there was 17 guys in class when i started they had already did 4 weeks of collage work when i got there

there was gary sheperd from forfar,,,graham mc queen and martin from island of arran i think,,,,,there was a bloke called barry who was a womaniser lol there was bloke from kinross ,,,, i think there was a big dude from in between forfar/ brechin area think his name was steve ( not sure?? ) and there were quite a few from glasgow area

i think iam right with dates as i would hve been 16 then i keeperd south esk area and aboyne area

:victory: bob

Edited by whip x grey

i was to think the excact date i thought 1990,,,,but thats when started my placment,,,it was febuary the next year i went to elmwood,,,which was 1991,,( i think )

i cant remeber all the guys i think there was 17 guys in class when i started they had already did 4 weeks of collage work when i got there

there was gary sheperd from forfar,,,graham mc queen and martin from island of arran i think,,,,,there was a bloke called barry who was a womaniser lol there was bloke from kinross ,,,, i think there was a big dude from in between forfar/ brechin area think his name was steve ( not sure?? ) and there were quite a few from glasgow area

i think iam right with dates as i would hve been 16 then i keeperd south esk area and aboyne area

:victory: bob

Well mate beleive it or not its me the womeniser.I must know you also.I have 4 wifes and 24 sons now.Gary moved to newcastle the last i spoke to him,and graham mcqueen moved abroad.The big guy from forfar was chris and did some seasonal stalking(i believe).i have been trying to get back in contact with the big man but with no success.All the best Barrie.

i went to bishop burton college east yorkshire, two year course country side management and keepering. when i left applied for two jobs and got offered both, both estates saying they preffer lads with college quals these days. i'd recomend college mate. and if mrs cant deal with that, then no chance of her sticking with a gamekeeper, not the most social of hours!!!

Guest allroundhunter

I done a three year course from sparsholt as a yts game keeper an boy how mistaken I was for thinking I was going tobe like old seth from Emmerdale farm walking round with the old 12bore :icon_eek: it was one of the most physical demanding jobs I ever done. Up before dawn feeding poults cleaning water feeders checking pens had no holes round the the fence ensuring elctric fence was working checking snares,fenn trapps besure not to be half asleep cos you may get a suprise checking them fenn trapps which will certinally wake you up.After breakfast I had to cut drives out prep land for game crops fell trees,make ponds for ducks it was mad rearing season some times I use to dread lamping YES dred it cos didnt matter what time I came home we still had to be up for the birds feeding and all the other chores of the day. Gamekeeping is one of the most toughest jobs I had done besides being a butcher boy as a lad. Dont get me wrong though it was the best three yrs of my life I just couldnt find work north or south of the borders tried every where. Even had a ad in shooting times was very difficult and I would imagine its the same now. Best of luck to any one who dose get a job gamekeeping though.

some realy good advice posted and allroundhunter makes a fair discription of some low gound keepering.

yea' i know everybody thinks its like EMERDALE ,MONARCH OF THE GLEN. etc

swaning around in your plusfours going to the pub, stuff like that.

when i started i was a kennelboy, we had 50 dogs, looking over

the fence on my first morning i seen the headkeeper mucking out

just like me. it ment there was no job he would"nt or could not do.

in 40 years i must have seen at least 30 trainees , ithink 6 made it.

not for everybody

dont think the job is only for countryboys either.

i know of 10 ex townies, and they are excellent keepers .

if you realy want to be a keeper stick in try everything you can.

goodluck :D

Guest jbswildlife

what makes you want to be a keeper. I ask this as many people think its all hunting when really you would struggle to hunt with the time and efford needed to bring along pheasants or what ever the choosen species are

what makes you want to be a keeper. I ask this as many people think its all hunting when really you would struggle to hunt with the time and efford needed to bring along pheasants or what ever the choosen species are

fair coment jbs its abit different for us wild bird lads tho if we didnt kill stoats weasels foxes carrion crows there would be no game.

i started on reared pheasants and ill tell ya if you dont put the time in with vermin it stacks up on ya its all about making time its a big part of the job

Guest jbswildlife

fair coment jbs its abit different for us wild bird lads tho if we didnt kill stoats weasels foxes carrion crows there would be no game.

i started on reared pheasants and ill tell ya if you dont put the time in with vermin it stacks up on ya its all about making time its a big part of the job

i left ireland in 1986 with the attidude i wanted to be a keeper until I discovered gaming is gaming and not hunting. the reason that i think may people get into it is the countryside thing. there is alot more to the job than hunting hope you agree. and yes trapping is a big issue but the birds come first. how many people realise that.

I do National Certificate in Animal Care level 2, will this help in becoming a gamekeeper. I would love to become one but don't know the right road to go down. They made me miss level 1 because I had to good a grades apparantly. I might do level 3 then maybe even a degree in animal care, will any of this help or not.