My King Ratcatcher

Well I ordered this King Ratcatcher in June and due to shipping from the states it took some time to arrive in the UK. As some of you know about me I never keep a gun standard I always add extras to make a gun more useable. The rifle came with the 4x32 scope which is adequate for the purpose of zeroing at 25 yards, I've fitted a carbon fibre Logun silencer @ £25 a gun lamp from dealextreme @ $18.42= £9 (which is so powerful it can melt electrical tape) and a Dragon claw bipod from J S Ramsbottoms @ £18.95, I've also fitted a brass trigger shoe for extra comfort.

For a budget air rifle I was impressed on how accurate it shoots and once I zeroed it at 25 yards I was grouping my shots to the size of a 2 pence piece. With the 88g CO2 gas canister I got just over 200 full powered shots before the power started to dip down. Using a 14.3 grain pellet I chronoed the ft/lb rating at 10.3ft/lb which according to my gunsmith it due to the larger 88g canister unlike the standard Ratcatcher which rates at 9ft/lb. This rifle was brought for an in between gun until I've got enough cash for my Theoben S-Type, after that my stepson will use the Ratty when we go out mooching. I've only had this rifle for 4 days and in that time I've took out 5 pigeons, 3 crows, 4 rats and 1 magpie, with that said each one was a clean kill so I'm very pleased with the results. Now I know that some here shout that Ratcatchers are crap (usually people that don't or never owned one) well all I can say is for the money it's a very capable tool in the field as long as you respect the 25-35 kill zone it's a nice piece of kit.

post-20221-1220980293_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks the business mate. :good: It looks like it's got an extended barrel, which will up the power. They're not bad guns if you use them as they're meant to be used, the reason they get dissed so often, is that you get numpties buying them because they are relatively cheap, and expect to be knocking rabbits over at 35 yards with them. I've had all manner of quarry with mine, but my favourite use for it, is clearing feral pigeons out of farm buildings. Not only is the gun light enough to be held up for extended periods of overhead shooting in the standing position, the lower power gives you less chance of 'collateral' damage to barn roofs and the like. I've also taken many a corvid at back garden distances with mine, as well as two rabbits that have presented themselves as targets on the way back from various farm buildings.

Good luck with yours! :thumbs:

I bought my son a standard ratcatcher a few years ago and to be honest i spent more time with it than him :icon_redface: They wouldnt be a lot of peoples cup of tea because you have to keep your ranges quite close and a lot of hunters cant get nowhere near their quarry :thumbdown:

Agreed the standard Ratcatcher had it's problems but the King Ratcatcher has had all the known issues sorted out with the shot capacity, the accuracy and the trigger system is much improved...

It looks the business mate. :good: It looks like it's got an extended barrel, which will up the power. They're not bad guns if you use them as they're meant to be used, the reason they get dissed so often, is that you get numpties buying them because they are relatively cheap, and expect to be knocking rabbits over at 35 yards with them. I've had all manner of quarry with mine, but my favourite use for it, is clearing feral pigeons out of farm buildings. Not only is the gun light enough to be held up for extended periods of overhead shooting in the standing position, the lower power gives you less chance of 'collateral' damage to barn roofs and the like. I've also taken many a corvid at back garden distances with mine, as well as two rabbits that have presented themselves as targets on the way back from various farm buildings.

Good luck with yours! :thumbs:

Thanks maltenby all of what you say above is right on the mark with the King Ratcatcher and I'm sure I will enjoy shooting it....

i had a rat catcher when i was 13/14 i was nailing rats none stop and mine never had any extras. very very nice kit mate can you refill the co2 canisters on the king

Sadly not mate. It's the biggest let down with the gun. They're not bloody cheap either... :( The best option is to convert it to bulk fill.

i'm proberly a noob for not knowing, but what is the brass tigger thing, looks nice and most likley makes it easier to shoot??

The trigger shoe makes the trigger action more positive with more surface area for the finger to feel. It's all just personal choice to be honest with you.

damn , that is a fine bit of gun youn got there,

good luck with killing stuff with it :victory:

Thanks victor I'm glad you like it and I will post my results once I murder some vermin :D