dogs, single or doubled on foxes

my other thread raised some very intresting opinions :icon_eek: on a fox dog

so here goes doubled up dogs seems like they not fox dogs athall afterhall :icon_eek: opinions please

has i said i did run double pre ban and seen some good dogs

imoa a dog that pulls and kills its fox, every lamping trip, is a fox dog weather its single or doubled :icon_eek:

but thats my opinion :icon_eek:

the ones that just run the fox round the field are to me jackers they dont want it for any reason,then it would be outed after its chances

:hmm: i know alot of you will sayu run single,but please be honest

if you run double would you call your own a proven fox dog

:D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

single handed all the way mate,ive never doubled up on a fox if 1 dog cant do it, then stick to bunnies, i knew a bloke who doubled up on foxes until his dogs collided one night and he ended up losing 1, not worth it mate single handed or nowt, imo :victory:

Edited by craigyboy
now out of intrest if you thought you had a dog capable would you enter it to its first fox single handed.

sorry for the daft question .but a decent awnswer would be nice :thumbs:

if you think he is ready and capable then i cant see why not and depending on how old he is ,its coming the right time of year now to try such a dog
Guest smashygadge
now out of intrest if you thought you had a dog capable would you enter it to its first fox single handed.

if you think he is ready and capable then i cant see why not and depending on how old he is ,its coming the right time of year now to try such a dog

he is ready and capable he is 17 month 28tts and a powerhouse

he had banged one at 7 month by a mistake slip

but it got away on him :thumbs: but now yes i think he is

As a rule single handed, but to give a young dog confidence doubled up is a big help IMO. A confident single handed dog will sustain less injury and trauma as it is easier for one dog to shake the fox, where as doubled up it's more of a scrap to who the fox belong's to.

well i not embarrest to say i used to run mine doubled up before that bloody ban ,reason being we never saw alot of them about and why when we got the chance to run one turn to my mate or have him turn to me and say it my slip keep your dog on the lead [although we might not get another chance for a couple weeks ] so instead we said chance is here lets take it yes if the other dog was injured or we were out mooching through the day on our owns the dogs did take them on there own but majority of the time doubled ,no doubt i,ll get slated but the truths the truth :victory:

some people don't have a choice! only owning one Lurcher and not having any friends with Lurchers severly limits your options! the dog should be able to stop it quick enough but if it's struggling to finish it off then big boots and a knife could come in handy!