Quite common unfortunately: she's ruptured the tendons which keep the toes up. Sometimes happens as a result of cutting through them when they run over a sharp stone, but can also happen with no external wound if the dog hits a stone or something in the ground.

Imagine running barefoot over stones, your toe stubs a stone sticking up, and is wrenched upwards: now this doesn't really work as a comparison as our toes aren't long and arched like a lurcher's, but you can imagine that if the toe is suddenly wrenched upwards not only would it hurt like hell, but the tendons underneath, (the ones that allow the toe to move, bit like bending your finger right back) risk being damaged, stretched or torn. That's as good a comparison as I can think of off the top of my head LOL

If the tendons aren't completely ruptured, just badly stretched, you may just manage to get them back again to how they should be, but it could take at least 3 months lead walking only for very short distances: no running at all, even in play.

On the plus side, if it is a hind foot it's not too bad a deal, though the dog will lose speed as she'll have no strong foot to push forward from on that side. Front foot is worse as it affects their turning ability, and there is always the possiblity that the floppy toes can become more damaged from not being able to spread and bunch like they should.

Edited to change explanation: not very clear in original description!

Is their any chance of a photo of a flat footed Lurcher and one with normal feet? Roo's toes point straight out, not tucked in tight like Tia's. Is this bad? is their anything I should be doing about it? he seems to be able to move his toes fine though?

Few dodgey photo's of his feet, (sorry cam phone)

SP_A0061.jpg

SP_A0063.jpg

Cheers

Luke.

i have seen and had alot worse than them pics .

they look ok to me .

bad feet to me are when the dog is always lame

if dont have trouble i would not worry.

i think sky cat was talking about the condition when

the nail has to be clipped all the time as the nail

is not facing the ground any more.which can be a

problem some times.

hope this is some help

macker

Miss T: I've seen a lot of bull crosses with very flat feet like yours. In my humble opinion some of it is to do with breeding: a bull terrier of any kind was not bred to be a running dog: they were designed to have feet that could be planted firmly on the ground when pulling on something: in olden days it would have been a bull's nose! They don't need those arched toes we see on Greyhounds etc.

I also think, and again, this is just my opinion, rightly or wrongly, that some Bull crosses have these flat feet not just as an inherited thing, but also because they are heavy dogs: the amount of weight on each foot is a lot more than say a Border Collie/Grey or Saluki/Grey. If they are not road walked regularly to build the strength in the tendons up properly those feet will flatten due to the weight of the dog when running fast.

Some people will just run a dog, never walk it to condition it, and some even leave the dog in a kennel 23/7 then take it out and give it loads of stick: the tendons never had a chance to toughen up so stretch all too easily.

I've seen non bull blooded lurchers who were never taken out of the back yard they were kept in (makes you wonder why their owners bothered having them!) and their feet were as flat as your dog's. Slipping and sliding on sh*tty smooth slabs or cement meant that the feet learned to splay out to keep the dog upright and lack of proper excercise meant the whole dog, feet included, never got toned up as it shouild have been.

Regular slow steady exercise is even more important for a heavy dog than a lightly built one if its legs and feet are going to be up to the job of carrying the weight of the animal at speed.

Bull mastiff:Difficult to tell from a photo, though in the second pic the inside toe does look as though it has less arch in it than the others: possibly stretched or ruptured tendons, though again it may just be the way the dog is standing and the inside and outside toes are never as high as the middle too, as they are shorter and are not used to propel the dog forward, just for supporting it when turning.Hope this helps.

thanks for the replies!

i took her out yesterday for a walk as she hasn't bothered with it in the house ive checked them over by hand to feel for any breaks etc and nothin but it didn't seem as if it was hurting,

i was just intending on a quick walk not a run or anythin untill a bunny broke cover and this doesnt useually happen on this field but she took chase (missed it) and came bounding back without problem didn't seem to effect her whatso ever.

cheers

dan

Miss T: I've seen a lot of bull crosses with very flat feet like yours. In my humble opinion some of it is to do with breeding: a bull terrier of any kind was not bred to be a running dog: they were designed to have feet that could be planted firmly on the ground when pulling on something: in olden days it would have been a bull's nose! They don't need those arched toes we see on Greyhounds etc.

I also think, and again, this is just my opinion, rightly or wrongly, that some Bull crosses have these flat feet not just as an inherited thing, but also because they are heavy dogs: the amount of weight on each foot is a lot more than say a Border Collie/Grey or Saluki/Grey. If they are not road walked regularly to build the strength in the tendons up properly those feet will flatten due to the weight of the dog when running fast.

Some people will just run a dog, never walk it to condition it, and some even leave the dog in a kennel 23/7 then take it out and give it loads of stick: the tendons never had a chance to toughen up so stretch all too easily.

I've seen non bull blooded lurchers who were never taken out of the back yard they were kept in (makes you wonder why their owners bothered having them!) and their feet were as flat as your dog's. Slipping and sliding on sh*tty smooth slabs or cement meant that the feet learned to splay out to keep the dog upright and lack of proper excercise meant the whole dog, feet included, never got toned up as it shouild have been.

Regular slow steady exercise is even more important for a heavy dog than a lightly built one if its legs and feet are going to be up to the job of carrying the weight of the animal at speed.

Well if thats your opinion skycat its exactly the same as mine! couldnt have put it better myself pal. :notworthy:

Great advice and i completely agree skycat...with the extra weight the bull puts into the make-up of a lurcher it can indeed play havoc with their feet.....

Bt unfortunetly she already had the flat feet when myneighbour got her at 10months.....and after a couple of seasons work when i got her at two...they were lke that......her brother has got perfect feet but she was givern a lot of stick at a young age.....so it hasnt been inherited but was caused by previous owners.....because of her feet i am strick with her feeding and keep her at a certain weight which she runs best at and doesnt cause her feet to splay anymore then they have already......

Shes happy and it doesnt bother her socan't really complain..just doesnt look astheticly pleasing....lol

Atb Miss T x

if the foot looks as if its almost rocking on its self could be ferther up the hock there are two boney plates held by tendrons these get damaged and the foot splays exspencive to repair,that is one thing it could be difficult we out seeing it in the flesh all of this is just supersision.good luck.