Larders and chillers

Just getting into stalking (shot my first one, a roe buck, early this morning on my course!) and am working through the practicalities of bringing home a shot deer. I have most of it worked out but am interested in finding out what everyone else uses to refrigerate deer carcasses in? Am I really looking at having to spend nearly a grand on a game larder?

Also does everyone use a deer trestle or have you found other ingenious ways of supporting the carcass whilst you work on it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

S

The drinks coolers are top notch,you just need to put a frame work in there to hang the deer from,and,you should get 4 roe in no probs.As for a trestle,I use a large 'Black&Decker' workmate,and,it works fine.Whereabouts in wilts are you mate..............Martin.

my unkle borrows my dads tractor or my grandads so he can gut and skin it easy then she got a fridge/freezer trailer that gos on the back of his jeep to hang it in then he chops it up on a table when its ready and freezes it

The drinks coolers are top notch,you just need to put a frame work in there to hang the deer from,and,you should get 4 roe in no probs.As for a trestle,I use a large 'Black&Decker' workmate,and,it works fine.Whereabouts in wilts are you mate..............Martin.

Hi Martin - Thanks for the tip. Found a drinks cooler on ebay and rang the seller for a little clarification. Turns out he has a refrigeration business up the road in Gloucester and has just taken a couple of Foster fridges out of a commercial kitchen. Offered to put a bar in it for me to hang deer from and deliver it too - running in my garage as of this morning. Very happy to recommend the guy if anyone else is looking for a similar solution - Yan at http://www.polarcoldrooms.co.uk/. Also spotted a stainless steel table whilst I was there - perfect for a little venison butchery.

As far as my whereabouts, I'm north of Swindon so the opposite end from you I guess?

S