BULL TERRIERS

Sound Alaunte,

Just looking at your dogs there, you seem to have come a long way with them quickly. How many generations did you have to breed before you began to get the type you wanted? May you found a stud/dam that stamped their type. NO DISRESPECT, just curious to know how long it takes to breed out show faults etc.

Voon.

the dog's i started with were nothing like the show dog's,totally different.hancock wanted to use my dog's in his article a few year's ago but i wouldn't let him,since the article people are thinking that it's only the last year or so i've had them,it's not i've had them for year's,the bitch ellen is a ringer for her great grand mother.over the year's i've place'd them where i can get my hand's on them should i need,most people look at a litter and

think that the big,fat bellied,heavy pup is the best,it's not (that's macho bull shit )that pup will turn out to be a lazy,gutsy,slow shit,(great for posing),i always go for the active lean one,may look silly as a pup but when it mature's it will be twice the dog.look for the qualities in the pup you want in the dog 3yr's down the road.fitness and athleticism is in the head not the body, a lazy brain make's a lazy dog.this is just my opinion of course,hope this help's buddy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound Alaunte,

Just looking at your dogs there, you seem to have come a long way with them quickly. How many generations did you have to breed before you began to get the type you wanted? May you found a stud/dam that stamped their type. NO DISRESPECT, just curious to know how long it takes to breed out show faults etc.

Voon.

the dog's i started with were nothing like the show dog's,totally different.hancock wanted to use my dog's in his article a few year's ago but i wouldn't let him,since the article people are thinking that it's only the last year or so i've had them,it's not i've had them for year's,the bitch ellen is a ringer for her great grand mother.over the year's i've place'd them where i can get my hand's on them should i need,most people look at a litter and

think that the big,fat bellied,heavy pup is the best,it's not (that's macho bull shit )that pup will turn out to be a lazy,gutsy,slow shit,(great for posing),i always go for the active lean one,may look silly as a pup but when it mature's it will be twice the dog.look for the qualities in the pup you want in the dog 3yr's down the road.fitness and athleticism is in the head not the body, a lazy brain make's a lazy dog.this is just my opinion of course,hope this help's buddy.

yes i think the same your dogs do look like the older type,ive just purchased the book mcguffin n co and the dogs back then are very similar to yours fantastic job :clapper: can you give insight to some of the old dogs names in the breeding of yours just out of interest if thats ok many thanks regards kate

• 4 months later...
bred them back,5 gen's and started with the older type,not so much show.

Looking at the head an ears on the dog that dai dog posted its obviously not pure english bull

alaunte you got me confused "bred them back,5 gens" what have you got a time machine?? as fenman1# has asked i would also guess theres a bit of non english bull blood in them dogs maybe way back but its there...not knocking any of the dogs...handy looking dogs all

had them now 4 gen's and this litter,bred the parent's of them,grand parent's and so,as i've said the dog's i started with were not like the show type,not so exaggarate'd and heavy,as i bred them i keep't the leaner,leggie one's with out so much weight on them and alway's gone for the most forward active one's.

had them now 4 gen's and this litter,bred the parent's of them,grand parent's and so,as i've said the dog's i started with were not like the show type,not so exaggarate'd and heavy,as i bred them i keep't the leaner,leggie one's with out so much weight on them and alway's gone for the most forward active one's.

and fair play to you for that...i belive breeders of any breed of dog should be breeding for the healthiest example of their chosen breed...but...this is a hunting forum and the emphasis is on a working dog...and i personally dont belive the english bull is any longer a working animal...crossing it with pit or staff will give you a hardy hybrid in the short term but in the long run for it to be an english bull it has to LOOK like an english bull and in a breeding program for working dogs comprimise like breeding for looks is where it will all fall on its arse...and in my opinion history proves this is how the english b ull fell by the wayside of working dogs a long long time ago...just my opinion...all the best with your breeding program

Nice EBT! What do you use her for? :yes:

Butch

She follows our Jacks around and digs at surface. When the animal surfaces she takes over. I don't hunt with her too often but she would go all day if she could. As far as her function, not sure she is any better than other breeds, but there is no doubt she is game and will hunt. My dad used her father as a catch dog for wild boar. he would latch onto the ear of the boar and bring it down. There are several videos on youtube that show bullys like her as catch dogs for boars, not to mention the bull terrier vs the bull in spain video. Many bull terriers have the drive to hunt, but it is not what most buyers want so it is bred out. Our other bullys will not hunt, they are good house dogs and fun to watch tv with or throw a ball too. good around kids and family. thats theif purpose.

and fair play to you for that...i belive breeders of any breed of dog should be breeding for the healthiest example of their chosen breed...but...this is a hunting forum and the emphasis is on a working dog...and i personally dont belive the english bull is any longer a working animal...crossing it with pit or staff will give you a hardy hybrid in the short term but in the long run for it to be an english bull it has to LOOK like an english bull and in a breeding program for working dogs comprimise like breeding for looks is where it will all fall on its arse...and in my opinion history proves this is how the english b ull fell by the wayside of working dogs a long long time ago...just my opinion...all the best with your breeding program

the english bull could no longer work because the show people toke their leg's and wind,mentaly they were not use'd so they became dumb.my dog's do look like the old type english bull's but they look that way not for fashion but for function.take a look at the dog's from 1910/30's totaly different to today's dog,leauge's apart.as i've said before the show lot have turned a thoughbred into a cart horse and are still telling us it can win the derby........A.T.B.