Wheat has dropped to £105 a ton and looks to carry on going down, it looks a bit ropey but will be ok once it has dried. Does anyone go with the old addage that you should not use new wheat for poultry including pheasant feeding? I think they used to call it blue comb if the birds got ill from new wheat.

• 2 weeks later...

good choice... ducks will eat either, i have up till this year fed them barley but for some reason im giving them wheat , but with ducks i wouldnt worry either way

Got to disagrea there mate,ducks much prefer barley than wheat and will leave a wheat fed pond to visit a barley fed pond every time.Stick to barley mate...P@G

good choice... ducks will eat either, i have up till this year fed them barley but for some reason im giving them wheat , but with ducks i wouldnt worry either way

Got to disagrea there mate,ducks much prefer barley than wheat and will leave a wheat fed pond to visit a barley fed pond every time.Stick to barley mate...P@G

well peg id agree that they prefere barley , but disagree that if you feed it with wheat you will see noticeably less ducks flighting in to feed, compared to numbers coming in when being fed barley the season [bANNED TEXT]... but you have me thinking now, as soon as the barley is cut im going to do some playing about with feed types on different ponds (that are all being fed wheat at the moment) and see which ponds draw ducks from other ponds or see if infact there is no noticable difference in there movements... :victory:

well peg id agree that they prefere barley , but disagree that if you feed it with wheat you will see noticeably less ducks flighting in to feed, compared to numbers coming in when being fed barley the season [bANNED TEXT]... but you have me thinking now, as soon as the barley is cut im going to do some playing about with feed types on different ponds (that are all being fed wheat at the moment) and see which ponds draw ducks from other ponds or see if infact there is no noticable difference in there movements... :victory:

I feed quite a few ponds each season and have tried to use wheat [bANNED TEXT] i had no barley and wat a difference in the amount of duck comming to the ponds (far less [bANNED TEXT] using wheat) And there is nothing tastier than a fat barley fed mallard lol......P@G

Wheat has dropped to £105 a ton and looks to carry on going down, it looks a bit ropey but will be ok once it has dried. Does anyone go with the old addage that you should not use new wheat for poultry including pheasant feeding? I think they used to call it blue comb if the birds got ill from new wheat.

NEW OR OLD WHEAT SHOULD HAVE NO ILL AFFECTS ON ANY BIRDS ..................

HOWEVER ! ............... BADLY DRIED WHEAT IS BAD FOR MILDEW GROWTH AND CAUSES PROBLEMS WITH FOWL ,

THE MAIN REASON FOR A LOT OF MEN KEEPING AWAY FROM ....... NEW WHEAT ........ IS THAT SOMETIMES IT CAN THROUGH BIRDS INTO A SOFT MOULT , AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR IT SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM AS MOST ARE WELL AND TRUELY IN THE MOULT ANYHOW !

ON THE PRICES OF GRAIN I WAS TALKING TO A FARMER YESTERDAY ............. HE SAYS THAT THEY ARE GETTING A LOT LESS THAN LAST YEAR FOR THE TON !! .......... TOMORROW IAM OFF UP TO GET AS MUCH OF THE SMALL WHEAT AND WILD SEEDS AS POSSIBLE FROM HIS ORGANIC FARM , YEP ITS DUSTY , BUT A FEW MORNINGS WITH THE WINNOWING MACHINE WILL HAVE A FEW TON OF TOP QUALITY FEED :victory: ......... FOR FREE :clapper:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

linton lad where about in the borders are you ? if im thinkin right near souter land ?

Sorry for not getin back brno17.

Put West in front of my name and you will not be far away mate.

Cheers.

ah right, sorry pal had you confused with another keeper i know over the selkirk way.

Very true wheat every time for pheasants but ducks will eat either infact ducks will eat nearly anything