Pigeon shooting 5s or 6s??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i use gamebore black gold 28g 7.5 for clays and pigeon they will kill birds cleanly at up to 40yards if not more and they are a very fast shot

chokes i use are 1/4 1/4

alot of people will shoot one type of shot at clays and another in the field this can cause problem in tis self with different speeds of the shot

i have tried clear pigeon fibres no 6 but they do not kill the birds half as well but there are loads of shots out there try them though your guns to find the one that suits you

cheers

nick

:)

any other wont do the job as good, as 6s, all the others are for clay pigeon

Although you wouldn't want to be going any heavier for serious clay shooting (unless your 'getting you eye in' using 6's pre-season) the lighter weight shot has its place in the field IMO. I know an old boy who shots driven pheasant with 20g and size 7's and he's quite a handy shot. I use 7's for decoying, if your decoying and your decoy pattern is pulling birds into a predictable killing area then 8's.. even 9's could be used to good effect and good for building confidance in young shots.

In my experience ,pigeons have loads of down feathers which is quite thick,on the breast area, 7s would just bounce of them,you need something that would penetrate that area.

what you say "I use 7's for decoying, if your decoying and your decoy pattern is pulling birds into a predictable killing area then 8's.. even 9's could be used to good effect and good for building confidance in young shots."

The pigeons in my area would just laugh at 8 or 9s,that would be like throwing a handfull of smarties at them

6s all day will do the job,but thats my personal opinion at over 25 yrs shooting experience with shotguns

In my experience ,pigeons have loads of down feathers which is quite thick,on the breast area, 7s would just bounce of them,you need something that would penetrate that area.

what you say "I use 7's for decoying, if your decoying and your decoy pattern is pulling birds into a predictable killing area then 8's.. even 9's could be used to good effect and good for building confidance in young shots."

The pigeons in my area would just laugh at 8 or 9s,that would be like throwing a handfull of smarties at them

6s all day will do the job,but thats my personal opinion at over 25 yrs shooting experience with shotguns

7s bounce off :blink::blink::blink:

mmmmm

7s will kill anything

7.5s are a good shell even for high phesants,fast tighter pattern

its all about bein a decent shot.point it in the right place and you get kills. 5s,6s,7s,8s, or anything else dunt make the person shoot better,

i am sorry but 7s will not bounce off a pigeon if you are shooting pigeons at sensable ranges .

i quite agree 7.5 is a very good shot but the range has to be taken in to account as well .

dont try shooting at stupid ranges there are not many joe average shots good enough to shot with constant kills at more than 40 yards ,pace it out and see how. far it is.

i have heard people saying i was killing all the birds at 50/60 yards. ok this is possible but not for everybody.

and a good 28g 7.5 clay shot is as powerful if not more powerful than a 32g 6game shot.

why dont you buy a box and give them a go .

i would recomend gamebore black gold 7.5.

dont go and buy the cheap rubbish in any make they just dont do the job

this is just my opinion

cheers

Nick

:cry:

i am sorry but 7s will not bounce off a pigeon if you are shooting pigeons at sensable ranges .

i quite agree 7.5 is a very good shot but the range has to be taken in to account as well .

dont try shooting at stupid ranges there are not many joe average shots good enough to shot with constant kills at more than 40 yards ,pace it out and see how. far it is.

i have heard people saying i was killing all the birds at 50/60 yards. ok this is possible but not for everybody.

and a good 28g 7.5 clay shot is as powerful if not more powerful than a 32g 6game shot.

why dont you buy a box and give them a go .

i would recomend gamebore black gold 7.5.

dont go and buy the cheap rubbish in any make they just dont do the job

this is just my opinion

cheers

Nick

:cry:

well said

• 1 month later...