Pigeon shooting 5s or 6s??

i use express special twenty fibre no.5 and i use these for everything from phesant and partridge to pigeon and bunnies. i spose i prefer them in a twenty as you got less lead so got to make it count. but in a 12 anything between 7.5 and 4 (once used 4 on pigeon (pre lead ban) was going for duck but they work and it was pretty high) i think my uncle uses express clear pigeon no6 in his 12.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi,

i use 30gram 6's, plastic wad. i personally don't like fibre as i don't think it patterns as tight so i choke up a bit when i have to use it. when i use the 30gram 6's i don't get many pricked birds. i also use these for everything else live that i shoot, apart form hares or bigger.

cheers

the verminator

my theory is that with the small shot, like 7.5, there is far more chance of pigeon being struck in the head because of the dense pattern, which means dead on the spot. Bigger shot often means broken wings and runners, especially on the edge of the pattern. The head needs less penetration than the body. Last year I was sold no. 9 by mistake, they were good for the job, and sometimes on plucking I would find a bird with a few pellets on the head but not much on the body. Llydvale Express 28 gram 7.5 is my favorite for birds but n0. 9 is not to be underestimated either.

• 2 weeks later...

i would never use any thing above a seven it is cruel if you are shooting at high sporting birds. tests have been done and alot of old lead was found in pigeons if you are shooting close pigeons not a problem but for those further birds you need that extra punch. when i kill something i like to do it the best and cleanest possible way even if it does cost a couple of extra quid i use number six shot does the job just fine