bait

Guest andy p

hello everyone, new to the site so hows it going, i do a bit of shooting and have got myself a terrier, wanting to get him on rats, got a live catch trap to start him off on, have been setting trap with bacon in for a week now where i know there are rats ( seen em ) no luck, any advise on the best bait? cheer's andy...

hello everyone, new to the site so hows it going, i do a bit of shooting and have got myself a terrier, wanting to get him on rats, got a live catch trap to start him off on, have been setting trap with bacon in for a week now where i know there are rats ( seen em ) no luck, any advise on the best bait? cheer's andy...

p.s not a yank fooked up on the set up

sounds funny i use realy mature chese in cage traps it lasts for ages as it stands rain and sunlight . its fatty so they like it and smells in all weatgher and temprature. put a nice heavy lump on the trigger and they will defo set the door shut. dont pre bait just scatter small and i mean small pices around the entrance and floor of the trap. make it so they have to get braver each time the visit the trap for chease soon the large trigger lump will be the only thing left and in there eyes worth the risk .

i have caught in exces of hundred rats from our garden in the last 8 months with this method using 2 to 3 traps .

in the summer one trap was going off every 20 mins to an hour with youg ratts, we caught 5 in one sesion all small and what we think must have been there dad :good: .

penut butter is good but more a mouse bait in my experiance but i could be wrong.

about 50% of the time the chese in the trap is untuched and ready for resetting as they realise they are trapped and panic .

all the best matt

I am not much of an experience traper my boss had probs with rats and i used chocolate and my terrier and what a laugh it did the trick. It was the first time i put my terrier to rats it was as happy as pigs in shit. :haha::haha:

Smoked kipper heads,

mar's bar's,

Anything oily and smelly me think's kipper's are the best from past

experiance....Rambo

dont forget to use sellotape around the bait,that way the rat will tug at it,so springing the trap.

UPDATE. checked my trap today and the door was off its runner's, ( it's a slid down one ) all the bacon had gone, all i can think is maybe a cat got its head in ate the bacon triggered the door and it came down on its back, pulling the door off trying to get out. what do you think? it would have to be a good rat to lift the trap door up.

Guest WhitbyRich
If the door doesn't lock shut there is a good chance the rat could of lifted it up.

Is they a dog any where near they usualy destroy the trap's to get the food out..

I used to set load's on a scrap yard but if i didn't hide them safe enough the guard dog's would pull the trap's all over to get the food out..

They was even once thick c**t who worked at the yard who jumped on one of my trap's and flattened it to kill the rat inside.. :blink: ..

If that rat has escaped though there is little chance of it going in there again..

Millet

What type of cage r u useing. The multi catch trap is the best ,but if your trap location doesnt hold loads of rats you might have to persivere for a while as rats arent keen on new objects.wheat is all u need in your cage,but ive heared fillet stakes a vgood bait

Guest WhitbyRich
its just a pedal and a trap door trap, think i might get a multi trap when i start having better luck, any advise on the best trap tp get and to where to get it from?

The best trap that i have used is the multi trap thats dome shaped,not the square one with the back entry door cos there shite.Any country store or maybe deben, there about 18squids.if your desperate to live trap longtails pre bait an area for a while before you start trapping .