Going all old school

Going All Old School

So far this river season my fishing has been that of pursuing river Carp, an endless game of cat and mouse that has on more than one occasion seen me being the victor. As much as I like this style of fishing and all that goes with it I was starting to feel a little burdened down by the immobility of it all. As nice as it is to be laying on the comfortable bed chair within the bivvie and letting the electronic bite alarms take away the need for a constant watchful eye, I needed to do something different. Not through boredom or a lack of spirit, I just needed to have a change.

Change was something that came in a rather opertunistic manner last month. After talking to a good friend regarding his love of old tackle it transpired he had a 1.3/4lb test curve split cane rod for sale. This was my chance for change, a chance to get away from the modern way of doing things. Now with my new, well old rod taking pride of place in the corner of my living room I needed a suitable reel to furnish it with. I wasn’t going to simply grab a spare bait runner and go to the nearest river, Oh no, I wanted to find a reel befitting the age and beauty of such a rod.

The reel came to me in a rather unexpected way whilst trawling through a local car boot sale. There in front of me was an old Bakelite centre pin reel for the princely sum of £7.50. After returning the vendors arm back to him after I had ripped it off, I wondered away a somewhat very happy man. Back home and 1 hour later after cleaning and re-lining the reel my set up was complete.

tail026.jpg

On my chosen afternoon for fishing the weather was warm and still but a little cloudy and the days sun had all but vanished behind a light covering of cloud, ideal for a spot of pike fishing. So off I went with my new set up to a local river that I know holds good sized Pike. Making the most of being away from the shackles of modern carp fishing, I simply had with we my rod and reel plus bait, which in this case were sardines. A small side bag of tackle along with a good sized landing net and the tea making kit. The latter being the most important as I must have plenty of cups of tea during the day.

The river I was fishing is nothing more than a small stream I suppose, nothing grand like the mighty river Spey. More of a ditch being 5meters wide and about 2 meters deep but the bank side trees make this one of the best Pike and Chub rivers in my area. The shadows they form by their overhanging branches make for an ideal spot for a Pike to lie in ambush.

ab004.jpg

My plan of attack was to let the slow current drift the bait, suspended below a large pike bung past any waiting fish in an attempt to draw them from their lair. This I tried on a few nice looking spots but to no avail. And seeing as today was all about change I thought it was time for another change, static bait.

Less than 5 minutes after casting close to a patch of weeds it started, the small rings appearing around the base of the float. Then the gentle sideways movement upstream of the float showing me we had a fish on the bait. I lifted the rod and slowly wound down taking up the slack line and struck. This was met by a solid resistance as the cane rod bent into the fish. This had the fish surging off upstream and putting one of the loveliest curves into a rod that I have ever seen. The through action of the rod bending perfectly, the Allcock aerial centre pin giving line in such a smooth fashion as I used the palm of my hand as the clutch. The slow ponderous movements of the submerged fish soon gave way to a mad thrashing and shaking of its head as I drew the fish near the surface, the daylight making it angry to say the least. In the clear water I could see it flare its gills just moments before the surface erupted into a boiling mass of foam and waves. The Pike was tail walking, violently shaking its head in an attempt to shed the barbless trebles. The split cane rod bows down to the fight and again curves into its lovely arc as the fish surges downwards towards deeper darker water.

Suddenly the fish comes towards the bank I'm standing on so I franticly wind on the reel to make sure I don’t give it any slake line. Not having any gearing the 1 to 1 retrieve ratio has me winding like a mad man, the smoothness of the reel as good now as the day it was made. Again the fish has come to the surface, only this time no tail walking and no trashing about like a demon possessed. It’s all played out and ready for netting.

ab003.jpg

As the net slipped under the fish it was as if the fish was resigned to its fate, a peaceful fish was now safely on the bank ready for unhooking. Not the biggest of pike I have ever caught but one of the best. Why? Because it was the first fish I have ever caught on a split cane rod and centre pin reel. The smoothness of both the rod and reel making the enjoyment of the moment all the more special. Getting away from the tethered way of modern fishing with bivvies, bed chairs and bite alarms was what it was all about for me. Ok, I could have experienced it with a modern rod and reel but for me the wonder of how many times these two pieces of old fishing tackle have done the exact same thing made it complete for me.

All that was left to do now after safely returning the fish to where it belongs was to make a celebratory mug of tea and for me to soak up the pleasures of the evening. The mobile approach to this kind of fishing is something that soothes the soul and is easy on the eyes, as the scenery changes with each new swim that is fished. The smell of the Ash twigs burning inside the kettle adding to the moment, as were the darting swallows as they swooped down over the river to catch the emerging insects.

ab008.jpg

The light was now fading fast so it was time for one last cast as I placed my few items away ready for the walk to the car. Again what a pleasant experience it was to simply place the kettle and tea making gear in the side bag and that was it, ready to leave. With the light almost gone now after fishing out the last cast I began the walk home past the old Iron Bridge that spanned the river. Looking over my shoulder I could see the moon was rising but the light was still such that there was enough light left for what would have to be my last cast. But as all anglers will know, there is always time for one more last cast.

ab014.jpg

Edited by mole catcher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up, sounds like a cracking session out fishing.

Why did you have to stop, i was almost there,just about to cast in and catch the grandad of the one you caught :D excellent post there mate,and i bet that tea tastes good out of that kelly kettle :drink:

all the best

khukru

Nice read, well done.

Come back to us in another few sessions and I'll bet you've got the carbon back out :laugh: .

I see it time and time again some of my customers trying their luck with the old split cane, doesn't last long mind, heavy old buggers those split canes. It's a bit like driving an old motor, the novelty factor is there to start with but after a few goes it like where's the PAS and the servo assisted brakes. Any way good luck MC