litter at 5 weeks

very nice healthy looking pups have you any photo's of the parents this is an alaunt pup aged 3 1/2wks what would they be like on boar

I expect they'll be the business :victory:

We'll be able to follow their progress; Bluegrass (pic 3) and Brora (pic 4) are going to hunting breeders in Spain and Milla (pics 6 and 7) is going to an Alano keeper in Denmark.

The other two I will keep in my stock. They'll all get a shot at the boar :clapper:

next year I'm moving out to the US so we should be able to put some time in on some escaped boar in the region as well as travel to hunting grounds. state allows hunting with dogs but you have to kill with a firearm. i'll likely get involved in some lobbyist activity to campaign for knife-hunting. until then, though I have to make do with a handgun at close quarters........(I'll have my knife just in case!)

dont know what state you're going to but damn, thats dangerous isnt it? catching a pig with the dogs and then shooting the pig at close quarters? not that knifing it is any safer, but at least you arent likely to knife the dog instead of the pig, as opposed to shooting the dog or your partner's foot if the pig struggles too hard.

i talked to some people who use the dogs to catch the wild boar to be brought the home alive. i dont know how often they did it that way.... but seems like it was their favourite way to work: catch a youngster, pen it up to be fattened and butchered.

dont know what state you're going to but damn, thats dangerous isnt it? catching a pig with the dogs and then shooting the pig at close quarters? not that knifing it is any safer, but at least you arent likely to knife the dog instead of the pig, as opposed to shooting the dog or your partner's foot if the pig struggles too hard.

i talked to some people who use the dogs to catch the wild boar to be brought the home alive. i dont know how often they did it that way.... but seems like it was their favourite way to work: catch a youngster, pen it up to be fattened and butchered.

mate, i'd be as close to the pig as I am with a knife and shooting down through the heart into the ground. it's not an ideal situation but there's where the law stands on that.........at least for now. i'm sure i won't be carrying one of those boar off the hill alive!!!!! healthiest pigs are wild pigs.

mate, i'd be as close to the pig as I am with a knife and shooting down through the heart into the ground. it's not an ideal situation but there's where the law stands on that.........at least for now. i'm sure i won't be carrying one of those boar off the hill alive!!!!! healthiest pigs are wild pigs.

i'm just surprised at the law itself

i'm just surprised at the law itself

laws don't always appear rational, agreed!

the pigs don't actually fall into the category of game, but are covered by the laws of the state which mean dispatch with a firearm at 'arms length'!

i wonder how many people actually do that? the people i've talked to always stabbed the hog....

• 2 weeks later...

what state are you moving to? i haven't found one yet that specifically prohibits knifing. i know some of the western states are VERY specific about the weapons used for native big game. i also haven't been able to find the law or code in one of the alleged "must shoot" states that actually requires nongame animals be shot. i know North Carolina prohibits live capture of the wild russian boar (or any GAME animal except rabbit), so you either have to let it go or kill it. they have specific requirement about the firearms used but don't require you to use a firearm. most states do the same thing with their native big game, only a few western states require you to use an authorized firearm or bow and then only with native big game.

i point this out because i reccommend really carefully reading the regs, even better if you get the actual regs as they supply them to the game wardens.