Tikka T3 or RWS Titan 6?

Snap, you and Jamie both said basically 'don't get a Hawke as they tend to lose zero / are rubbish / etc.' - they're anti-Hawke comments. Made with good reason and experience I'm sure, you're not just slagging them off, but you are against them...

yes mate i see where your coming from but i'm only against them on centrefire calibres...........not against the brand as such........

i just don't think most of the ranges of scope by hawke are suited to a centrefire............ :thumbs:

Thanks for all your comments guys. Still not sure whether RWS or Tikka gets my money.

Deker, your experiences on the balance of the T3 from the lightness of the stock once a mod is added raises a little worry. I intend using my .30 T8 which I have on my 223. How do you think that will compare weight wise to your Predator 8? The thought of having to do a bit of a bodge job on a brand new rifle to balance it up goes against the grain. But maybe that is the difference between going for a synthetic stock over my usual wooden one?

My only concern with the RWS is just that the make doesn't seem to be as well known. Is it a new brand? The name Tikka I am more familiar with. mmm...

If only one came factory cut for a mod then that would make my decision easier but apparently I haven't got that to sway me either way either!

As for the scope I have always had a variable scope before but am very tempted to go for a fixed 8 x 56 this time as 8x does seem to be about right for the deer I have seen so far.

I am of the view that the quality of the glass sat on top makes a hell of a difference to being able to take that shot when the last of the fading light is angling into the objective lens. This I know from bitter experience as I have an AGS scope on my 17 and point it anywhere towards a light sky and I can't see a thing whereas the Leupold is crystal clear wherever the light is coming from. However your comments Monsieur Logic is making consider one of the other top makes as well so thanks for pointing that out.

The ideal would be to see the two rifles side by side but my local dealer, like most I guess, has to order the one I want in especially so I guess that's not going to happen. Anyone got both and live near Wiltshire? :-)

Any other thoughts, keep them coming... and thank you.

S

The RWS is factory cut, at least mine was!

With a T8, your balance will be screwy with a T3, certainly is with an S5.

RWS have been around for a long while but they're Austrian and the importer is Ruag, who are small and don't push the brand.

I'm in Reading, so depending on which bit of Wiltshire you're in I can bring my RWS down for you to have a look at if you like? Wrong calibre and right handed, but see it, shoot it. If you don't immediately track one down and buy it, then get the Tikka!

As for scopes, 8x56 Schmidt :) (but I've just been out with my much-maligned (:-P) Hawke and 5 bunnies are dead, it's great for night time work!)

Information from GMK leads me to believe ALL the Tikkas are now coming into the UK screw cut, not cut is now special order. The cut Tikkas also have a shorter barrel so this helps with the balance with a mod. Mine is a full length barrel which I had to pay money to have screw cut, should have had the barrel cut down a bit to, still thinking about it!

As far as I am aware, just as Mr Logic says the RWS are screw cut but check with the importers, Ruag!

Despite what they say the Predator 8 is slightly heavier than the T8! I am still not happy with the balance of my T3 synthetic so a barrel chop AND some lead in the butt are likely...but plenty of people get on with the T3 lite. Tikka as a make edges if for me still as they are part of Sako who are part of Beretta, but my latest toy is the T3 Hunter so the balance improves immediately!

Just to add my personal findings to the scope issue.

For me, all that was said against Hawke for centrefire rings true. I would not purchase one as I think there are far better options for the money.

I have 2 friends with hawke scopes, one filled with water and went back the other kept losing zero on a 223 and ended up in the bin.

Sorry if you spent money on these and this do'snt sit nicely with you and I hear what you are saying about different manufacturers, but time will tell.

Just to add my personal findings to the scope issue.

For me, all that was said against Hawke for centrefire rings true. I would not purchase one as I think there are far better options for the money.

I have 2 friends with hawke scopes, one filled with water and went back the other kept losing zero on a 223 and ended up in the bin.

Sorry if you spent money on these and this do'snt sit nicely with you and I hear what you are saying about different manufacturers, but time will tell.

Which Hawke scopes are you talking about? Let's be clear please because Hawke have many different options, made to different levels of quality in different places.

The RWS is factory cut, at least mine was!

With a T8, your balance will be screwy with a T3, certainly is with an S5.

RWS have been around for a long while but they're Austrian and the importer is Ruag, who are small and don't push the brand.

I'm in Reading, so depending on which bit of Wiltshire you're in I can bring my RWS down for you to have a look at if you like? Wrong calibre and right handed, but see it, shoot it. If you don't immediately track one down and buy it, then get the Tikka!

As for scopes, 8x56 Schmidt :) (but I've just been out with my much-maligned (:-P) Hawke and 5 bunnies are dead, it's great for night time work!)

Thanks for the offer of a look see. Does your RWS have a heavier stock than the Tikka then? I'm away for a week so will see how things stand when I get back.

Cheers

S

Thanks for the offer of a look see. Does your RWS have a heavier stock than the Tikka then? I'm away for a week so will see how things stand when I get back.

Cheers

S

There was me thinking a week under canvas in Holland would keep me away from the forum, but no! Free wifi access over the entire campsite. :clapper: The downside is I have three fat wood pigeons sat about four feet away from me, taking the p*ss!

S

• 4 months later...