Hi all,

I know this is a bit cheeky, asking for help and i've not even introduced myself :icon_redface:

I've got two pens on my small rough shoot/syndicate, one with 200 poults and another with 400. The smallest pen is fine, with no deaths since we had them 2-3 weeks ago. The other was just the same untill 3 days ago when me and the other 'keeper' started finding dead ones everywhere.

In the last 3 days we've found beteween 20 and 30 all with the same symptoms.

All of their rear end look as if they're decomposing or being pecked and we have'nt got a clue what it is.

This may be an obvious illness to you profesional, so please help me!!

Thanks a lot,

Sion

P.S. I've tried uploading pics but they're too large?

Edited by sionw123

They're acting normal, a little lethargic but hardly noticeable.

Droppings are also normal but a little runny.

They rear ends are all bloody as if they've been pecked but then the arse hole falls out and then they're intestine's come out usually after death but 2 have still been alive at this stage!!

Manage dto get some pics up thankfully.

Thanks,

Sion

post-20148-1217782291.jpg

post-20148-1217782323.jpg

is it the pen with the largest amount of birds that has the problem ?

could be that you have too many in for the size of the pen and the birds are vent pecking ??

All the birds are the same age, or supposed to be!

It is the biggest pen but its been running for 4 years now and for the first 2 years it had 600 birds in it, but that could be it. If that is the problem then how could i fix it without removing any birds?

Thanks,

Sion

is it the pen with the largest amount of birds that has the problem ?

could be that you have too many in for the size of the pen and the birds are vent pecking ??

All the birds are the same age, or supposed to be!

It is the biggest pen but its been running for 4 years now and for the first 2 years it had 600 birds in it, but that could be it. If that is the problem then how could i fix it without removing any birds?

Thanks,

Sion

you would have to catch all the birds up and fit bits onto there beaks, they would need to be biodegradable ones though

Thank guy's. I really apprieciate the help, i'll be up there first thing opening a couple of pop holes.

I didn't think that that was the cause as we have'nt suffered with it before.

They've always got plenty of food and water along with trees, brash and whole veg to ammuse them.

Thanks,

Sion

The best thing to do mate is to spend a bit of time at the pen ,sit down and watch your birds .Vent pecking is a real killer but not necessarily through overcrowding .I would say you have the beginnings of a weather related disesase and the vent pecking is only the symtom mate .Poor birds that huddle and dont move much are always a target for stronger birds .Get some medication of the 'E' type into them as a precaution .Any chance of a pic of the whole intestine of one of those dead birds mate .PM if you prefer .

Thank guy's. I really apprieciate the help, i'll be up there first thing opening a couple of pop holes.

I didn't think that that was the cause as we have'nt suffered with it before.

They've always got plenty of food and water along with trees, brash and whole veg to ammuse them.

Thanks,

Sion

Don't forget grit.Very important, especially once they discover that each others arses are an alternative source of "vitamins and calcium". your pen might have held 600 birdsin the past but I'll bet the conditions inside it have changed since then . It might well be worth contacting anyone you know who had birds from the same source,or even the supplier ,just in case there has been a health problem .Good luck :thumbs:

Ps have you changed food recently ,maybe bringing in corn to replace the pellets might have triggered a need for protein.

Edited by comanche

Thanks again to you all.

I've been up there again tonight and they're looking alright, all pretty perky, i forgot to mention that the birds that ae dying are all reasonably large ones and i suppose the "illness" comes on quickly or else there would be other signs?

I'll get a pic of the guts when i get back from work tomorow.