• 2 months later...
is this a good caliber for hunting boars? :gunsmilie:

thanks

Magpie_Hunter

Never use it I hope it is powerful enaf. I taked over 200 boars. My favorite caliber is 9,3x62 folowed by 8x57IS. It is always a question of god schot placement, I taked one 80 kg with 22 Hornet (headschot).

• 1 month later...

I have been very pleased with the .308 in hunting the wild pigs of Alabama. Of course bullet construction and shot placement are always important. My favorite load uses a 150 grain Barnes X-bullet and penetration is always complete with no recovered bullets. Once I dropped two pigs with the same shot (purely by accident because I was not aware of another one standing behind the target). I have never lost an animal shot with this bullet.

In my experience, pigs are much tougher than deer. I once lost a large boar with a running shot to the shoulder using a fast expanding deer bullet. It was a .30-06 load containing a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. By the blood trail it looked like the shot was high on the right shoulder and the animal was definately bleeding from the nose so I believe one lung must have caught fragments. The blood trail disapeared after about 450 meters of tracking and I never found the animal.

Another time two 12-gauge slugs were required to stop a rather small pig (see my profile photo). The first shot hit the running pig in the guts knocking it down. As I attempted to aquire the next target, the wounded pig rose and started running away, trailing entrails. A quick second shot to the chest put it down for good.

The .308 is definately adequate for pig hunting.

• 3 weeks later...
is this a good caliber for hunting boars? :gunsmilie:

thanks

Magpie_Hunter

Never use it I hope it is powerful enaf. I taked over 200 boars. My favorite caliber is 9,3x62 folowed by 8x57IS. It is always a question of god schot placement, I taked one 80 kg with 22 Hornet (headschot).

german?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll add one more voice to the chorus. 308 is a bloody good calibre. Mine has done duty in Germany (boar, roe and red deer), Estonia (boar), South Africa (warthog, duiker, blesbock springbock, bushbuck) and UK (roe, muntjack and fox). It is a true one gun arsenal.

I'll add one more voice to the chorus. 308 is a bloody good calibre. Mine has done duty in Germany (boar, roe and red deer), Estonia (boar), South Africa (warthog, duiker, blesbock springbock, bushbuck) and UK (roe, muntjack and fox). It is a true one gun arsenal.

Christ Harry Mac, you've been about the place a bit with your .308 fella !!

WAB