which greyhound???

if you was going to use a greyhound in a first cross mating what greyhound would you use ??

a stayer or a good sprinter ?if they were equal in quality of breeding etc etc

Edited by roybo

Guest smashygadge
if you was going to use a greyhound in a first cross mating what greyhound would you use ??

a stayer or a good sprinter ?if they were equal in quality of breeding etc etc

i think personally the staying power will come with what its crossed with and brains of course :thumbs:

would depend on quary and land you were working as some situations call for speed others call for a dog that can run with the quary a good 500 yards so would depend on the quary and the dog your putting it over or vice versa.

Guest smashygadge
would depend on quary and land you were working as some situations call for speed others call for a dog that can run with the quary a good 500 yards so would depend on the quary and the dog your putting it over or vice versa.

well said think the dogs got to fit the needs of what your planning to do with it too.a dog isnt all about speed it helps but so does the skill to out wit its prey :victory:

Dont think it would matter cause your gonna lose summit in the mix anyways.....the whole point of x'n a greyhound in the first place is to add durability and no matter what people say a lurcher is never gonna be as fast as a grey so your losing an element of speed in the x anyway.

i would personally use a stayer,the amount of speed that comes off a good greyhound or a bad one is less than a second over 4 or 5hundred yards you could lose that in one wheel so i think a dog that stays would have more to put into the cross

i would personally use a stayer,the amount of speed that comes off a good greyhound or a bad one is less than a second over 4 or 5hundred yards you could lose that in one wheel so i think a dog that stays would have more to put into the cross

It can be a lot more than a second depending on just how bad the 'bad one' is & a second equates to twelve & a half lengths which is not an inconsiderable distance. It also doesn't follow that the just because the sire is a stayer his progeny will be.

Guest oldskool

i would pick a nice big strong greyhound thats done a bit of hunting and proved itself well... i dont think staying power or speed would play a big part in it because, as said before, it will be gained and lost in the cross, would it not??? thats why i always thought when a litter of pups are advertised it was a bit unnessesary to list the triumphs a greyhound has had on the track JMO??? And JMO, but it would be better if the greyhound was hunted with

should make for a good discussion this

i would pick a nice big strong greyhound thats done a bit of hunting and proved itself well... i dont think staying power or speed would play a big part in it because, as said before, it will be gained and lost in the cross, would it not??? thats why i always thought when a litter of pups are advertised it was a bit unnessesary to list the triumphs a greyhound has had on the track JMO??? And JMO, but it would be better if the greyhound was hunted with

100% agree with this .The greyhound will have to be a proven hunter. you wouldnt breed a below par lurcher to a good lurcher so why breed a good luircher to an unproven greyhound.

a real marathon dog wont have great early as it would use to much energy they eather stay or sprint in my opinion not both youl get dogs that sprint and do 500yrds too but not often will you see a dash dog do 800 yrds.

if i were using a stud for a lurcher id go for size and looks dependandt on the ground id be working would decide whether a big dog or small light frame animal rather than going for an open race dog the wrong shape for the ground your gonna be working. realy its just down to personal choice thats why there is such a veriety in breeds in lurchers as everyone wonts something diffrent.

a real marathon dog wont have great early as it would use to much energy they eather stay or sprint in my opinion not both youl get dogs that sprint and do 500yrds too but not often will you see a dash dog do 800 yrds.

if i were using a stud for a lurcher id go for size and looks dependandt on the ground id be working would decide whether a big dog or small light frame animal rather than going for an open race dog the wrong shape for the ground your gonna be working. realy its just down to personal choice thats why there is such a veriety in breeds in lurchers as everyone wonts something diffrent.

There are plenty of proper marathon dogs with early in comparison to other marathon dogs , and as for stayers with early we have a bitch that stays 630 mtrs that broke the 210mtr sprint clock with her sectional just being picked up on the line to come second in a very good class open race,

Would agree with you there Oldskool, though 'big strong hunting' greyhounds ain't that common.

For me constitution would have to be the overriding factor, good bone and feet.

I think it would also be a factor if..... you were adding to, or creating a lurcher, what type of greyhound, if greyhound at all.....?

Depending on what you want, the 'right type' of sight hound, would make a difference.

I've seen far to many 'un-interested' greyhounds to belive that any would be good for lurcher production and if size wasn't a factor, whippets or whippet/greyhounds IMO are a better bet.

Though I keep wondering :hmm: ........ IF, the various types that make up 'top flight' coursing dogs wouldn't be a good bet, especially for a baseline first cross.......

Most breed very true to type, they have fantasic constitution, you can choose from various lines depending what your looking for (size, quarry, ground etc)..... and..... they have been bred from the 'best to the best' killing machines for around 40+ years.

Yes, they are already Lurchers BUT.......???

Just a thought.....! :whistling:

Cheers

i wouldnt enter any of my sprint dogs in a distance race wouldnt see any point personaly it takes too much out of them in my opinion. alot of the good sprint dogs will be that far in front early that a dog that only races distance would struggle to catch it over 500yrds say but iv never seen the point in puting my 300 yard dogs into an 800yard race . im not saying that you never get a dog capable of both but you cant get a half decent dog that does one thing over here for a decent price never mind one that does both i have a dog that breaks 16 on a 1680 qualifying track so dont see the point in puting him over the distance realy.

for this purpose id personaly go for size and how keen the dog is before anything else.

• 3 weeks later...