Pigeon Decoying - Rotary Machine

I have recently bought a rotary machine for decoying pigeons but it does not work that well :wallbash: , in fact, if anything the machine scares the pigeons away :thumbdown: .

Does anyone know about these machines as I have been lead to believe they are the dogs B******S. This one I have scares the pigeon as soon as they get close to it but far enough away as not to be shot at. I am totally exhausted with this.

Today the battery ran low and the machine stopped, so i put it away and left the decoy shells out, within 5 minutes a pigeon came and landed in the field. :wallbash::wallbash:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work :( ?

Help

Knifebar! :cry:

Try using a speed controller to slow it down i find they work better this way,i always put the rotary about 20 yards or so away from my pattern the reason for it is just to get the birds attention until they get close enough to see the decoy pattern, i found that the rotary scared them when i put it in the pattern but this way works for me,where abouts have you been setting the rotary in your pattern :thumbs:

As David says mate ,the rotary can have an adverse affect on birds even when set at the head of a pattern .I start a session with it not turning and rely on the birds bouncing to draw in others .I keep meaning to extend the lead to it and fit a switch as they definately draw birds passing high over head but the gearing with a fully charged battery is too fast and it always works better when the battery is wearing down .Dont over use the magnet as birds soon suss it out and that is then another ploy gone .Another thing ive noticed mate is not to mix decoys with the real thing in a pattern as the deeks stand out a mile and will spook an incoming bird .Hope you get it sorted as shooting over deeks ,rates with me as some of the finest ,second only to a bolted fox :) Good luck

where abouts have you been setting the rotary in your pattern :thumbs:

I have been placing the rotar close to the left or right side of the pattern, which did'nt really work so I moved it to the rear on one side but did'nt work at all.

I have discovered the rotar works around 23 rpm but I have since found a faster speed but have not tested it. I have been lead to believe that 28 rpm is what is required for decoying pigeons. Would you be able to tell me if I should remove the plastic deoys on the rotar and put real birds on instead(dead ones).

I have also discoved that "V" pattern works the best as I have found "U" and horseshoe pattern not working at all, I have also discovered that I should place my hide face on at the "V" pattern, however I have been decoying side on to the front of the pattern and have got the few birds that have come in.

Today I was under the flight path of crows and got some brilliant shots to high crows heading away. One particular crow fell some 70 yard from the hide.

How far away should my pattern be from the hide and should the hide be totally concealed?

Regard

Knifebar

As David says mate ,the rotary can have an adverse affect on birds even when set at the head of a pattern .I start a session with it not turning and rely on the birds bouncing to draw in others .I keep meaning to extend the lead to it and fit a switch as they definately draw birds passing high over head but the gearing with a fully charged battery is too fast and it always works better when the battery is wearing down .Dont over use the magnet as birds soon suss it out and that is then another ploy gone .Another thing ive noticed mate is not to mix decoys with the real thing in a pattern as the deeks stand out a mile and will spook an incoming bird .Hope you get it sorted as shooting over deeks ,rates with me as some of the finest ,second only to a bolted fox :) Good luck

Yes, I have been mixing the decoys and this is a probable cause. Today birds were flying past and over head all over the place some would have slowed and then flew on. Yes the rotar will get noticed but maybe its to close to the pattern.

When I move the rotar way from the pattern that means it will be about 45-50 yards away from the hide, so you can imagine the rotar will be slap bang in the middle of a field (we have small fields here) with a flock pattern nearing the hedge(hide), would this be true or should the rotar be same distance out from the hedge only 20 yards away from the pattern?

Knifebar

Id go with 20 30 yards or so of the hedge,i always keep hold of a couple of dead birds for the rotary,then you've made it as natural as it can be,like foxdropper said try decoying with it turned of to start with see how the birds react sometimes it works just aswell good luck :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Rotarys are not as simple as everyone thinks, just switch it on and the pigeons wait in line to land has never happend to me if the rotary is in the pattern.

you should put the rotary out at the end of one of the lines have a look at the PDF :thumbs: , it is what I use over here in Germany to teach the Germans

where and how to decoy Pigeons.. :doh::doh:

Hope it helps :clapper::clapper:

H-T-S

Pr_sentation1.pdf