lab greyhound cross?

Personally I think the cross would do the job your looking at if the parents worked....but who breeds first cross labrador/greyhounds?

i think it would flush well mate i think that side of it would work, its the lurcher work side of it i ain't sure of.

Probably not foxes but I'm sure it would lamp and ferret.

Ive seen 3 first cross labrador greyhounds work and everyone was top notch with fox. I have seen dogs from one of these lab x's that was put to a whippet beddy cross. And these took fox with ease, and having spoke to people over the years who owned the cross. They all said that their dogs took fox, so i think there is a good chance you would produce a fox dog from this union. Incidentely two of the first x,s i mentioned were belters in cover and were predominently used for day work. cheers wex.

I was told by my grandfather about a lab/greyhound that he said was one of the best lurchers he ever seen. Was lethal on rabbit, fox and deer he reckoned. My grandad kept collie crosses, and swore by them, but he reckoned that lab/grey was a better lurcher than most of his collie crosses.

Any one owned are seen this cross any information on this cross first cross and 3/4 bread any pics, possible good points and bad points?

im into all forms of hunting weather it be lamping and ferreting digging and running foxes or hunting up pheasants and waiting for duck to fly in at last light. unfortunly i had to move back into town and my lurchers and terriers have taken up all my space my old lab died leaving me with no gun dog my wee lurcher bitch will hunt up pheasents, but none of the dogs are to fond of water.

have been playing around with the idea of crossing a water dog with a running dog in the hope of getting a dog with enough speed to run the lamp and do a bit of ferreting and at the same time work the gun i know thinks dont always work out like that when it comes to breeding but whst do yous think, do you's think it could work?

happy hunting all

yours in sport

fathom

Had a lab/whippet once, well, ex-husband did. She (the dog) hated me! He was given her supposedly as a pet 'cos his step brother bred them, but being a first cross litter, got a mixed litter, so she was rejected cos she was weird looking. That said, she may have looked weird, but she was the smartest dog I ever knew - willing as the day is long, sensible, strong, agile and fast, would retrieve, stay (for days if you wanted her to!) and very clever. Very versatile. She could have been a one-off though. She may have hated me, but if I could, I would re-create her instincts anytime... not a look you would want for the show ring, but if you want something for tea, she'd fetch it! She lived to a ripe old age. Bess - RIP.

Thank you everyone for all your replies. i read once that years back the flat coated retriever was the big thing but never mentioned much more on the cross. your ex husbands dog sounded a very handy dog, as for the show ring end of the thing that would'nt be important would rather a worker than a looker if its got the looks as well thats an added bonus. would be intrested in a first cross in the hope of working it to the gun as well as lamping and ferreting im not after a coursing champion here just a handy pot filling dog would love to see a few pics of the first cross and a 3/4 bred dog? i watched one of them lampers DVDs once seen a GWP greyhound cross work rabbit fox and wild fowling she was handy enough yes she had a turning circle of a battleship but she was 3/4 GWP 1/4 grey this is what first got me intrested in the lurcher/gundog. Thanks once again for all your replies. Happy hunting all

Yours in sport

Fathom

• 4 weeks later...

i got a litter of drakeshead black lab cross bull greyhound pups. Both parents work day and night, both dogs work the lamp and gun and the bull greyhound dam enters the water as well if not better than the labs i got! i only just become a member so my next job is to get some photos on here! my mrs shows the dam and sire very succesfully and they are both placed every time. the lab goes to proper k.c shows and the bitch goes to game fairs etc. they have been in the ribbons in every show they're entered in

My mrs has bred dogs all her life and says that this is the strongest litter she ever had! they were walkin eyes open and eatin solids at 1 week!

anyone intrested?

Edited by labsnlurchers