Unusual fishing-methods.........

Not working a tandem of trained and tethered cormorants from the edge of your bamboo raft on the Yangtze River,but real methods,tried and tested,that you have used yourself.My sisters neighbour has asked me for a pike,small,jack-sized,apparently he used to love them during pre-war days when he was in Norfolk,he used to snare,spear,even shoot them for a meal :victory: I am going to get him one,and in keeping faithfully with his memories I have decided to snare it under lamp-light,shouldnt be difficult,I have caught salmon,trout,and carp with a lamp,no reason why a jack-pike should really present a challenge.My grandfather used to tell me stories of working in America when he would stun brook trout with an old telephone-magneto,and I have seen enough fish banked using unusual methods to know that rod-and-line isnt really so effective if its anything other than sport your after,so I just wondered if any of you have ever caught yourself a fish by fair means or foul?Put a dinner on the table with an otter-board?Gaffed a fish from a pool?Just an innocent enough question to while away the time,fishing tonight,dry-fly trout ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once seen some circle disks on a large drain on the fens , i was told that there was a dead bait attached and the bloke would bring them in by useing a long pole with a hook , is that what otter boards are ?

Its along the same sort of theme mate,I think its just regional variations isnt it?I have just been reading Johnny Kingdoms autobiography,theres a decent factual bit in there on gaffing salmon,you can tell he has done it,theres a part in where his bag bursts and the fish go everywhere,I wonder if that reminds Joe of anyone :whistling:

I have seen loads of weird methods Steve,cyanide-fishing,cast-nets,harpoon-guns most of them havent got a place in the UK,but I am certain theres one or two inventive folk out there who have done something different ;) My own grandfather used to use a magneto to stun fish,throw two wires into a pool,crank up the power,and stun the waters inhabitants :D

Apart from poking a few trout not as yet M ;)

How easy would it be to slip the noose round a lying fish?

Poking a few old trout Maty,shame on you :whistling:

Snaring a lamped pike will be easy,ever lamped them?I have done it loads of times,even thrown a cast-net over them at times,snaring one wont be difficult :) Its not going to be wasted,its for the old guys dinner,wonder if it tastes the same as it did way back then :hmm:

Lol I had a feeling something along those lines was coming as I typed :D

As you can proably tell, No I havn't lamped pike. From seeing trout in the beam they dont seem bothered but slipping a noose around and snatching it up before it realises whats going on, I just imagine it to be a bit hit and miss but I'm sure you will prove otherwise to me :thumbs:

Pike along a canal are easy mate,they skulk in the edges of the beam and are static,apparently it was a common method in Norfolk,if the "Ohhhh-Arrrrrrrr's" can do it I am sure I can ;) Might take a few tries,but I am certain its just a question of technique and practice,just like snaring a gecko from a wall with a monofilament snare and a slim bamboo whip ;)

:icon_eek: Thanks for that Comanche,I am sure the residents along the stretch of the grand-union canal I have earmarked for the experiment will be most pleased to be woken at 2am with the sound of a rifle shot :icon_eek: I think your dads book is right though,pike are easily snared,I just need to try it to see for myself,its one of those things ;)

Have seen a very skilled fella "snatch" salmon and sea trout this man could tell you the weight of a fish just by the disturbance it made coming up stream. The skill he had was unreal he could cast and put it exactly were he wanted it time and time again, every fish i saw him bank was hooked in the head or very close to it......... I have also dabbled with an otter board they can be very productive on the right water just don't get caught with one :whistling:

I saw some incredible chinese guys snatching Mullet in victoria harbour,they were the same,must have been at it for years,I lashed the water to bits and only had a few fish to show,they were bagging-up and p**sing themselves at my efforts,its good to see an expert at work :victory: Gives us something to aspire to :yes:

:icon_eek: Thanks for that Comanche,I am sure the residents along the stretch of the grand-union canal I have earmarked for the experiment will be most pleased to be woken at 2am with the sound of a rifle shot :icon_eek: I think your dads book is right though,pike are easily snared,I just need to try it to see for myself,its one of those things ;)

sadly I now have an image of you accosted by a policeman at 2 am on the towpath.Surrounding you would be a collection of of old poaching books, hook-adorned planks,nets ,sticks with wire loops ,a lamp, spears,tubs of ground Datura, ancient and rusting tins Cymag,various calbre fire-arms and an air of innocence. The policeman will of course accept that you ,"simply have to find out for yourself", and after a word asking you , "not to flash the lamp about too much because it was disturbing the carp fishermen" , he would potter off whistling the theme to Dixon of Dock Green..Oops ,showing my age there...... :whistling:

I meant the theme to Z Cars!

Good Luck :thumbs:

I am sure you mean the theme tune to "The Bill" comanche :victory: I wouldnt be accosted at 2am by plod comanche because from past experience most of them suffer from accute Nyctohylophobia and wouldnt go anywhere dimly-lit unless mob-handed :victory: Just like a curious child theres things we all have to find out and research for ourselves right ;) Catch you guys later,getting my fly-kit ready,going out in less than an hour,trout only,esox is safe for another night :yes:

I would of thought it would go deeper than that Comanche? They were testing the penetration and range on Mythbusters when shooting into water and the results were surprising. plastic 50LB crossbow bolts don't have the same effect, a couple of feet and they float to the surface but guess it could be used to your advantage with a bit more power into the equation.

Good luck anyway M and look forward to the post tomorrow morning ;)