crossbow hunting

I had a few Barnett wildcats I used for bunnies and the odd roosting pheasant adey,wouldnt advise anyone to get one for hunting,much more accurate are todays modern crossbows,theres a hunting magazine stateside dedicated to crossbpw hunting and there are several websites :victory:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest hyperion
Allegedly medieval longbowmen could pick out the eyeholes of a basinet.....

Never heard that mate,the longbow of old was more for distance,had a massive draw-weight,and the archers relied on a rain of arrows to cause havoc rather than rely on accurately loosing a single shaft,theres a revival of interest on whats known nowadays as "Primitive-archery" I have had a try of a long-bow and couldnt shoot it for toffee whereas a compound is a whole new ball game,like comparing an old smoothbore muzzle-loader with a modern day tack-driver :victory:

it used to be law that every boy from the age of five had to practice twice a week with a long bow! as they say practice makes perfect! you cant aim a war bow by aligning the arrow with your eye as with a modern compound as the string has to be pulled back to the ear! it has to be instinctive rather than delibarately aimed! although weight of arrows is what destroyed the french armys in the hundred years war im sure the medieval bowman must have been a pretty good shot!

Can anyone please tell me why you can hunt with a 12flb air rifle but you cannot hunt with something like a barnett predator with 128 flb?Please dont think im having a go at 12flb air rifles because we all now how effective a hunting weapon they are

Quarrels and arrows are measured by kinetic-energy,I have hunted with a blow-gun,your correct,your not allowed to do so nowadays as the Blow-gun is classified as a fire-arm nowadays :icon_eek: I havent a clue why an overgrown peashooter needs an FAC but it does :icon_eek: I understand what your saying hyperion,I saw a guy at a club get a 3inch group at 60 yards with a compound a few weeks ago,you would have to be an incredible shot to do that with a longbow,with a compound it was impressive,compounds are just that more accurate and easier to master. :victory:

Well, if the political arena there is anything like it is over here, I would say it boils down to money. Gun manufacturers and the hunting industry make a great deal of money, and they sponsor/"donate" funds to political parties and in exchange, those political parties pass certain laws to help them out. It is nothing spectacular, been going on for a very long time, just the same old, same old. There are other factors and other groups involved, but I still think that the main motivator is money. If a person has to go through even more hassle and close to the same expense just to hunt with something like a blow gun (which is an incredibly effective tool), then there is a greater chance that they will buy a rifle. It is just simple economics.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

despite using recurves quite a bit i was never much good with them. The whole let-off never felt right to me. I had started with compounds and i should imagine thats where my problems lay. The long/recurve bow is totally different to the compound. The compound is far far easier. But its still hard when compared to other vocations. With fields points its quite easy to get tight groups, even with a finger bow. My preference was always for a finger release, it makes you far more "part" of the shot, anf , more importantly, its quieter too. Alot.

The problems start to manisfest when you put broadheads on. basically you have a vane at the back of the arrow and one at the front (broadhead). this is when things can go wrong.

Bows need tuning. Every arrow is calibrated to a different poundage bow and /or draw length. Its not as easy to work out as some imagine.

For many years i was quite obsessed with bows, but thats all water under the bridge now, not having held one for nearly a decade.

Its a thrill though, and one day i may well get myself another.

Do yourselves a favour and buy a copy of Jim Doughertys Deer Hunting book.

Its quite good and available at a good discount from book stores at gamefairs.

And, by the way, it is illegal to hunt with a bow or crossbow in the UK.......JD