Hi,

Been taking Roe ( in season ) for a few years now with a Tikka 22/250 with no problems whatsoever. Great stopping power.

The good bit is now that I have been granted permission to take out a few out of season due to extensive sapling damage. It took a lot of persuasion and visits to the area. All set now to get out lamping with the beasties being no farther than 120 yds. but have been told that ( and I have complied) I must use a higher calibre rifle for night shooting. I do not have a problem with it as a 243 is now winging its way to my gun cabinet but I am curious to know others thoughts on the subject.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

av also got a tika t3 mate the stainless varmint, i use it mostly for fox's but have shot quite a lot of roe with it aswell, if your getting a 243 then the problems solved, but iv took deer further than 120 yards with mine and theres been no suffering, a lot of people dont like the 22/250 for roe because the bullets so fast they say too fast for roe ive heard people say its only a vermin calibre personally through experience with my rifle i would say its fine for roe sometimes you get a little 10 or 15 yard ardrenalin run but iv had this happen to me shooting red deer with a 270 so doesnt mean anything i dont think (bullets were perfectly placed), iv had roe drop like a stone and some an ardrenalin toddle with the 22/250 mate at a few distances so personally i wouldnt say 120 yards is too far for a 22/250 as long as you know your rifle and your a good shot then in my opinion the distance is really up to you.

Edited by grant_c
Hi,

Been taking Roe ( in season ) for a few years now with a Tikka 22/250 with no problems whatsoever. Great stopping power.

The good bit is now that I have been granted permission to take out a few out of season due to extensive sapling damage. It took a lot of persuasion and visits to the area. All set now to get out lamping with the beasties being no farther than 120 yds. but have been told that ( and I have complied) I must use a higher calibre rifle for night shooting. I do not have a problem with it as a 243 is now winging its way to my gun cabinet but I am curious to know others thoughts on the subject.

What country are you in??

22-250 will kill a Roe easily in any country but is still not legal in England and Wales.

What is the B******t about bigger calibres at night and what rational has been suggested for this.

Do you have a licence for ..

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously..... :thumbs:

Guest basil46

Personally i think the whole idea stinks. If the deer are doing prolific damage, then they must be showing themselves in the daytime, as for shooting a doe when she is caring for her young, well that is incomprehensible.

basil.

Edited by basil46

If you have an exemption for night shooting, I'd be kneck or head shooting them to prevent the chance of any runners, this time of year with high cover and under darkness they will be hard to find if they run on from a body shot.

Personally i think the whole idea stinks. If the deer are doing prolific damage, then they must be showing themselves in the daytime, as for shooting a doe when she is caring for her young, well that is incomprehensible.

basil.

basil...you have to open your mind to the MAJOR difference between VERMIN CONTROL (As defined by man) and licenced in these circumstances: and sport. These are 2 very different things and must not be confused....nobody wants to cause deliberate suffering to any animal but if control is required then the young go as well; as humanely as possible!!

Edited by Deker
is it not legal to shoot a roe in england with a 22/250? but yet their trying to make it legal to shoot them with a 22? strange law that normally its scotland that suffers in britain with a stupid law haha.

there trying to make it legal for 22 mate but 22 centrefires that is 222,223and the 22/250

you can shoot cwd and muntjac here with them but not roe if you have it on ticket.

yet in scotland the can shoot the above and roe with 22 centrefires as long as you use the right bullets

im surprized they didnt add roe here for 22 centrefire rifles when they changed the law to use them here for cwd and muntjac :wallbash: does anyone no why they didnt ???

is it not legal to shoot a roe in england with a 22/250? but yet their trying to make it legal to shoot them with a 22? strange law that normally its Scotland that suffers in britain with a stupid law haha.

there trying to make it legal for 22 mate but 22 centrefires that is 222,223and the 22/250

you can shoot cwd and muntjac here with them but not roe if you have it on ticket.

yet in scotland the can shoot the above and roe with 22 centrefires as long as you use the right bullets

im surprized they didnt add roe here for 22 centrefire rifles when they changed the law to use them here for cwd and muntjac :wallbash:does anyone no why they didnt ???

Roe WAS included up until the final reading of the Deer Act Amendment order 2007 when a question was asked about .22 CF's suitability for Roe.

For some totally inexplicable reason the committee asked the RSPCA for their opinion (what the F**k do they know about shooting Roe)....not surprisingly their response was "we have no reason to believe it is humane".......the committee then, as there was some doubt, REMOVED Roe from the Deer Act amendment on the calibre/power issue.

This is obviously a precis..the actual question and answer took pages of course, but that is the crazy reason Roe was removed!!

is it not legal to shoot a roe in england with a 22/250? but yet their trying to make it legal to shoot them with a 22? strange law that normally its Scotland that suffers in britain with a stupid law haha.

im surprized they didnt add roe here for 22 centrefire rifles when they changed the law to use them here for cwd and muntjac :wallbash:does anyone no why they didnt ???

Roe WAS included up until the final reading of the Deer Act Amendment order 2007 when a question was asked about .22 CF's suitability for Roe.

For some totally inexplicable reason the committee asked the RSPCA for their opinion (what the F**k do they know about shooting Roe)....not surprisingly their response was "we have no reason to believe it is humane".......the committee then, as there was some doubt, REMOVED Roe from the Deer Act amendment on the calibre/power issue.

This is obviously a precis..the actual question and answer took pages of course, but that is the crazy reason Roe was removed!!

it comes to something when some of the people that make the decisions no sod all about shooting :angry:

i would think there more then you need with the right bullet. and its not as if it's not been tryed before they only have to look at scotland to see 22 centrefires do the job easy on roe

it comes to something when some of the people that make the decisions no sod all about shooting :angry:

i would think there more then you need with the right bullet. and its not as if it's not been tryed before they only have to look at scotland to see 22 centrefires do the job easy on roe

None of the people making the laws have any idea about shooting, that's why it's so galling, and so annoying that the NRA does sod all.

Edited by Mr_Logic
Hi,

Just going back a few paces here. Hingindolie can you tell us who has given you permission to shoot deer out of season and at night??

I was under the impression that the landowner had to have taken all measures possible to prevent the deer from eating the tops off the trees before being granted permission to shoot out of season and at night time - sounds like he failed to put in high enough tree guards for these small deer.

Or is all that you have written all a wind up?!!