MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :whistling: If you did some research then surely you would know that the barf diet IS a balanced diet and not JUST meat. As for dry foods, they have been linked to cancer, colitis, allergies and contain no moisture as its all been removed in the cooking process and grain is quantity, how unnatural!!!!

Slight error but all seemed to be promoting raw meat alone which is not balenced. On the other hand Mr Bill himself has admitted that the BARF diet has NO research base. The idea that you should just throw your dog a bit of meat daily as some seem to be promoting is about as balenced as feeding pure cornflakes. I'm away for a few days but would love to see some evidence for raw rather than balenced, please not "it's a wolf mumbo jumbo" or look at it's teeth but evidence. Will look on my return.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go, I could type out a long winded analysis of the essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals but this should explain. Th good thing about feeding your dog is at the end of the day its your animal and you choose the food. Some people will never change regardless of the information presented but I have done lots of research both personally and professionally and would never feed the dry garbage to my animals................

http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/ba..._specific.shtml

You'll get no insults from me, although you called feeding raw "airy fairy". Nothing airy fairy on my part or done because it costs "tuppence ha'penny" a month to feed. I do it because I researched "several" dietary methods and came up with the one which I have total faith in. You say your dogs eat dry with no ill effects, well excellent but others may not have not been so lucky.

You don't buy into the idea that raw is natural....Erm it is natural. Your right dogs are scroungers, beggers, threives and hunters and at no time in history did they steal a bag of dried out biscuit full of grain. The reason your dog chose the dry food is because he has been reared on it and has been habituated. If you were to offer just the raw he would switch in no time.

As I said before people have there own beliefs, mine are obvious as are yours and it would be a boring world if we all did the same, you feed your dogs what you like and I shall do the same.

P.S. If you offered me a salad or a fry up I know which I'd prefer despite what was best for me nutritionally.

i think is getting into a barf debate instead of a raw feeding debate... some barfist go to the extremes, agreed, but some people have been feeding raw and getting good results before the word "barf" became so popular...... i think thats the area we want to stick to instead of geralising. some of us knht enough about dog nutrition to get it right for ourselves without master barf telling us how to go on.......... others just dont want to know.

dogs have been domesticated for the past 20.000 years or so. their digestive system, have adapted to the way we feed them. wolfes, are wild predetors and will live on whole carcasess better then domestic dog food. all dogs are different, i have found, some dogs thrive in raw and have no ill effects, others, get digestive problems and can not digest, raw meat and bone and can, get sick. you have to feed, what is best for your dogs needs.

i find, a good quaility complete food is fine, if fed with common sense. i feed complete some days, raw others, but, dont go over board on rich stuff like liver, whole chicken ect, not all dogs, seem to cope with it well.

the truth is, everyone has their way and if your getting good results, then sticking to it, rather them listening to others telling you what to do, is far safer. a good greyhound man has mentioned to me once, if it works, dont change it, as if you change, you might regret..

i will say this again, a lot of good greyhounds come from here, and in their kennels, i sont see masses of barf food ect.

Edited by Zak

The term barf makes me laugh ,years ago we called it "dog food".

Nastki71 has a point and what he and many have done is found a balance of cooked food that their dogs thrive on. Hunt kennels have been doing this for decades.

The stuff you buy in a bag is bulked up with crap for economical reasons and very importantly as DITCH said "preservatives".

They're not good for man or beast.

I make a point of not eating anything with preservatives or colouring etc in it, so why would I give stuff like that to my dogs. Yes, for years I fed a complete food, but more as a filler than anything else. Always fed meat as well. Dogs looked fine on it, worked fine on it BUT I used to find that sometimes they'd get the sh*ts for no apparent reason. And if you use a high powered so called premium food then they'll get the sh*ts if you give them too much: goes straight through them. Their sh*t always stunk a lot worse too than when they are just on raw/natural food. Stinks worse if you feed cooked meat etc as well.

I once bought a cheap bag of 'lamb and rice', no doubt tempted by the low price. When I opened the bag it smelt of old chip fat and dead things! My dogs ate it, but they all had green sh*ts and terrible wind for days afterwards: that should tell you something!

If I want to feed dogs extra carbs nowadays they get a bit of pasta or brown bread, even rolled oats on occasion. I have honestly found that by feeding only natural non processed food they don't get the sh*ts, don't make bad smells LOL, eat all their food up at speed and with great enthusiasm, and look and work just as well on this as they did on mega expensive complete food.

So for me there's no choice in the matter: it's got to be raw. Oh yes, and before I had banks of freezers in my shed to freeze loads of rabbits, I use to cook up the rabbits in an old burco boiler, then spend ages taking the meat off the bones. What a waste of time and loss of nutrients! Not to mention the fact that the dogs really farted on this diet! Not good when they live in the house LOL.

The only downside to feeding only raw, if you can call it a downside, is that most dogs need far less of the stuff in terms of quantity than they would if eating cooked or complete. Mine seem to get fat on nothing nowadays. I say it could be a downside as they think I'm starving them! It just shows how much better their systems use what they eat if it is raw.

I recently heard that a man I used to work for got himself a Thai bride.

Brought her back to Ireland where after a few weeks she got quiet sick and ended up in hospital.

It was her new western diet. She had been raised on what they grew and killed them selves.

Preservatives?

so what age do you guy`s feed your pups raw rabbit`s. and is it right to frezze them for 3 days to kill worms etc then feed them to the pups.should i feed them hole or just the saddle and back legs.

p.s where do i get a mincer from and how much should i pay for 1.

thanks lb

so what age do you guy`s feed your pups raw rabbit`s. and is it right to frezze them for 3 days to kill worms etc then feed them to the pups.should i feed them hole or just the saddle and back legs.

thanks lb

It's 3 WEEKS to kill worm cysts/eggs. Northern Tool sell both hand and electric mincers: the hand one is very hard work!http://www.northerntooluk.com/?cm_ven=Perf...northern%20tool

Guest Ditch_Shitter

May I make a suggestion here? A decent, electric mincer is going to set ye back £100's. What for?

Ye only need to mince shit for pups for a matter of weeks, if at all. So; Why not just ask ye friendly local Butcher to run what ever ye have through His mincer? Buy the stuff off him and he'll do it without a seconds thought. Take a dozen rabbits in and say ye'd like ten minced ....?

Then allow ye Dogs the benefit of a Hugely Major part of the benefits in all this: 'Mincing' their own food. It's what Dogs have all those teeth for. And how they get to keep them, all their lives ;)